GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
18,054 Posts
I have 4 different BP firearms. The one I didn't dig out of the vault is a repro Remington 1858 cap and ball.

My 1st and only kit gun. A CVA Kentucky .45 pistol. The cap on the ramrod came off inside so the ramrod sticks out to far. I have been to lazy to take the pistol apart and fix it.
DSCF0884.JPG

Number 3 is a T/C in 50 cal. Like a fool I traded a badly pitted 97 Winchester shot gun for this.
DSCF0885.JPG

And # 4 is a Cabela's 58 caliber that I have not shot much.
DSCF0886.JPG

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
View attachment 856994
This one
was built by John Bergmann. I killed a small bull elk with it the week before last. Missed a pretty good mule deer buck just a couple of days ago. Going to try again tomorrow. It's a .58, I cast round ball out of wheel weights and load 120 grains of Goex ffg. It will shoot through both shoulders of an elk at 80 yards. Its one of my favorite shooters.
Really nice . What’s the barrel length ?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Normally, I don't like posts that veer off subject. But in this case, it's all good.

Free Full Clip!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Old Eynsford is the best BP you can get IMO. I’d stay away from those substitutes.
What makes it better? Does it burn any cleaner than Goex? I notice a significant difference in how much dirtier Goex 2F is vs their 3F.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,087 Posts
Old Eynsford is the best BP you can get IMO. I’d stay away from those substitutes.
Swiss is the best BP I've ever used. How does Old Eynsford compare to Swiss? Pyrodeex totally sucks and is more corrosive than BP. But Hogdon 777 is less corrosive and is very similar to BP except it doesn't have that good smell and it's a little more powerful. People think I'm trying to be funny when I say that about the smell but I actually LIKE the smell of black powder burning.

Years ago I worked in a gun shop and a woman came in from the county fair and bought all teh pyrodex we had. It turned out she was the Human Cannonball at the county fair. The "Cannon is powerd by spring but the powder is needed for the smoke and noise.

·
AAAMAD
30,411 Posts
Swiss is the best BP I've ever used. How does Old Eynsford compare to Swiss? Pyrodeex totally sucks and is more corrosive than BP. But Hogdon 777 is less corrosive and is very similar to BP except it doesn't have that good smell and it's a little more powerful. People think I'm trying to be funny when I say that about the smell but I actually LIKE the smell of black powder burning.

Years ago I worked in a gun shop and a woman came in from the county fair and bought all teh pyrodex we had. It turned out she was the Human Cannonball at the county fair. The "Cannon is powerd by spring but the powder is needed for the smoke and noise.

I would rate it as equal to Swiss which is also fine but nearly impossible for me to get in any real quantity

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Finally a b.p. thread! I have a T/C Custom shop (FoxRidgeOutfitters) 50 cal. Renegade,an inline 45 cal., a Dixie Gun Works .32 cal. squirrel rifle,an 1860 Navy revolver in .36 cal. and three Ruger Old Armys. I enjoy the slower pace of shooting b.p. firearms.Great pics all!

Reactions: Jonny Yuma

·
Registered
13,340 Posts
This is my Track of the Wolf "kit" gun. I assembled it about 15 years ago. Its done in the style of a northwest trade gun. Smooth bore flintlock, I shoot .600 solid round balls out if it.
I also have two T/C Hawkens, one a flinter one a percussion. .45 and .50 caliber.
Also a .45 CVA percussion.
Two Ruger Old Army revolvers.
One T/C patriot percussion pistol.
And last year I assembled a pepperbox from a kit my Dad purchased long ago.
001.JPG
001.jpg

I purchased my first black powder gun way back in 1975. One of the Old Army's. I enjoy shooting BP.

·
Banned
8,580 Posts
Here's mine:

flintloock pistol.jpg

.40 caliber, made by a good friend of mine.

flintlock with accoutrements.jpg

.62 caliber, Christian Springs Transitional Rifle, it shows the both the German gunmaker's influence and the slow transition to a Pennsylvania style. I always felt that a well made flintlock long rifle is the epitome of the gunmaker's art.

IMG_1656.JPG

The previous picture doesn't show the birdseye maple stock nearly as well as this does. It really is a beautiful rifle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here's mine:

View attachment 857354

.40 caliber, made by a good friend of mine.

View attachment 857356

.62 caliber, Christian Springs Transitional Rifle, it shows the both the German gunmaker's influence and the slow transition to a Pennsylvania style. I always felt that a well made flintlock long rifle is the epitome of the gunmaker's art.

View attachment 857358

The previous picture doesn't show the birdseye maple stock nearly as well as this does. It really is a beautiful rifle.
Very nice!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Any of you guys build your own? I'm planning a build from a pre-carve done by Dave Keck at Knob Mountain Muzzleloaders. He's got patterns, many from orginals, out the wazoo.

·
Banned
8,580 Posts
Any of you guys build your own? I'm planning a build from a pre-carve done by Dave Keck at Knob Mountain Muzzleloaders. He's got patterns, many from orginals, out the wazoo.
I have a couple friends of mine that are pretty good gunmakers. The guy who made my pistol carved the stock from a block of wood. If I tried it I would have a huge pile of very expensive toothpicks.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts