close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

trading my subaru... help me to select a car

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by wallyglock, Mar 3, 2013.

1. wallyglock

wallyglock

98 outback i have now is probably going to go it is in very good condition but i want a newer car to retire with .

looking at other subaru's in the 2005-20010 year range . some are pricy , some are reasonable . havent made a move yet , but by spring i will.

like to stay with the subaru brand. like the awd and quality of the car . that said , the one thing i DO NOT like is the gas mileage . thinking of maybe a honda civic possibly or ?

is there a wise choice for me in the $9000-$12000 range for good quality AND good mileage ? we are talking at least 34 mpg on the highway

would anyone reccomend any of the ford products , fusion or the smaller ford ( cant think of the name)

how about the chevy cobolt or one of the other chevies ? or a volkswagon brand . dont know much about them but know the disiel is hi mpg OR the toyota hybrid

i do put quality FIRST but as the gas continues to rise i am thinking hard on the purchase

2. Teddy57

Teddy57

The new Subie XV Crosstrek is a nice looking ride, a good balance of space, functionality (AWD), and MPG but it looks like it a little out of your budget.

I have a 2012 VW Jetta 2.5 SE and love it, and it gets 32-36 on the highway, but I'm a little envious of my co-worker getting 55mpg with his 2011 TDI, of course there was approximately a $5k-$7k difference in price between mine and a TDI and that was second hand. For how much I drive, I could buy a lot of gasoline for that.

3. snubfan

snubfan Giant Member

I have a buddy that is 70 and semiretired. He works 2 days a week shuttling cars for the auto auction. His wife drives their "good car" and he tootles around in a late model Honda Civic that he found while driving for the auction and loves it. He keeps it maintained well, his gas bill is under $80 a month, no car payment because he paid cash and minimal insurance.

He was always one to have a newer nicer vehicle and wishes he would have done something like this years ago because of all the money he could have saved in monthly transportation costs.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  4. WIMPY

WIMPY

The 2013 Consumers Report Car Guide just came out. Always some good info in there.

5. Breadman03

Breadman03

I have been busting on my Dad for a few years that there is no real reason for a Subaru to get the OK mileage they do. He argued that it is due to the AWD.

I showed him an ad for the 2013 Impreza and said, "I told you so." I don't know your finances, but given the costs of financing new vs. used, the difference in insurance costs, maintenance costs, and fuel costs, you might come out ahead with the new one.

My Mom has worked in an auto service department since before I was born and her concern is having a freshly paid off, new car when she retires in order to minimize her auto costs during retirement. She said she sees too many people who can't afford to get their car fixed.

6. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

My little 4-cyl, 5 spd Pontiac Vibe just turned 150,000 miles this week and it still runs like it did when it was new.

Any vehicle will eventually need repair but the more complicated the vehicle, the more likely it is to need repairs somewhere down the road.

Personally, I try to stay away from turbocharged and supercharged engines. They run great, but they are expensive to repair when they breakdown.

THe same goes for diesel engines but they do seem to last longer that gasoline engines.

It is a good time to buy a vehicle if you need one and can afford it and even the lease (10,000 miles per year) deals are hard to beat. I saw an ad for a Chevy Traverse LT for $169 per month (didn't see the down payment) and that's hard to beat.

7. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

You mentioned the Civic. I have an 07 coupe 5-speed. I commute 290 miles a week; mostly 2-lane highways and mixed driving. I consistently get 33-34mpg. On the interstate, it averages 37-39. The car handles well, has low maintenance costs so far, and I really like the 5-speed. I recommend the Civic.

The Impreza looks interesting too, but I don't know much about them.

8. supersammy

supersammy

I have 280,000 miles on a 2002 subaru forester with only basic maintenance done (oil/filter, brakes, tires, timing belt). Previous car was a audi with 180k miles and I dont recommend them because parts are not available at most auto part stores. I had good luck with a toyota corolla 260k miles before rust took its life.

subaru gets 25MPG which sucks for a car its size, but I have never been stuck in snow. The thing is a tank in bad weather!

9. wallyglock

wallyglock

no , it for sure WILL NOT be a new car .....but in the year & description i mentioned .

the subaru is still in the running , and the honda civic maybe in the years from 2005-2010 is a nice ride .

the civic .... do any of them come with fog lights ? have looked at numerous ones , mostly 4 door ones , on the net and have not found one with fog lights .

the subaru comes pretty much loaded ... fog lights , heated seats & the list is long .
    didnt think i ever needed a car with heated seats but they do spoil you !
    anything you can comment on the civic is good . never owned one and have only driven one older model

10. Stock Perfection

Stock Perfection

For what it's worth, my friend who is an older fella, has an Oldsmobile Bravada. They are no longer produced, but are just old enough that you could probobly get a parts car as well. You just can't get that thing stuck. It's incredible. I'm not sure of the mpg, but he drives it all over the country with no complaints.
    That Subaru your selling is like gold in south west Montana.
    Good luck!

11. Jim in MI

Jim in MI

I say get another Subaru (my wife has an Outback)

Compare the MPG to other 4WD and AWD cars, SUV's, and pickups, not little front wheel drive cars.

My wife and kids in a full time AWD is worth the tire wear and MPG to me.

12. sappy13

sappy13

What do you really gain with a full time awd car on the street? IV never owned one, I have just never had an issue with fwd or rwd vehicles.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

13. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

You will hate going from AWD to FWD, I say stay with a Scoobie. Maybe look for an Impreza hatch(preferably from before they put in the CVT transmission) in the newest year you can afford.

14. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Increased stability even on dry pavement, and no torque steer with more powerful engines.

15. rover4x4

rover4x4

I've been able to get 32 in an 06 legacy sedAn. I have a 97 civic I really dislike it.

16. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Taking wet turns like it's on rails. Taking snowy turns much better than fwd or rwd.

AWD is awesome. You really have to try to break the tires loose on an awd Subaru.

I mean if you drive slow as hell and never go out in bad weather perhaps you won't notice anything.

As someone who enjoys driving my Subaru is fun as heck!

I have an 04 impreza outback sport in 5 speed.

17. silversport

silversport

look at Subaru's latest mileage figures...they have seemingly found more miles to the gallon (ditched the 4 speed auto)...from their auto trans...6 speed or CVT...

Bill

18. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

On one thread, I vowed to answer "what kind of a car should I get with particular answers.

So, it seems you are asking about "what sedan should I buy"

Simple.

[​IMG]

19. Halojumper

Halojumper

Well, that's an 18,005 year range, so there should be a lot of options! :)

But, on a more serious note, Subaru drastically changed the design of the Outback for the 2010, for the better IMHO.

20. S9Man

S9Man

My car is a 2001 Toyota Corolla that I bought with 107K on it 6 1\2 years ago. She now has 281K on it with no major problems, just typical wear items. Just this winter a small amount of rust is showing up in front of the rear passenger wheel well. I've always had good luck with Toyotas.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013