trading liberty for security

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by michael88, Jan 13, 2010.

1. michael88

michael88

So i havent traveled since june, and coming up in the next few months i will be flying again. with everything that has been in the news lately i started doing some figurin, and was thinking the lines are going to be hellacious. which got me to thinking, would you trade your rights/civil liberties for a better feeling of saftey? something similar to the israeli system in which they go through all of your stuff, and if you are being searched, you are really being searched. just curious, as i wouldnt mind bc i have nothing to hide A, and B being blown out of the sky is super low on my list of things i would like to experience in my lifetime. this of course could become quite a slippery slope, which is of course the bad side. whatcha think?

2. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Just because you have nothing to hide why is it okay to strip you of your right to privacy?

Just like gun registration is okay because you're not a criminal??

3. michael88

michael88

maybe its just bc flying scares the crap out of me and it gives me a sense of security that i woudl be ok with it in this situation. every other situation, they can go fly a kite.

4. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

No offense meant by any means, but I'm not sure we're the ones to ask.

Everyone here has some pretty firm ideas about that sort of thing, to be honest.

I suppose in the end, it's what you think/decide that matters most.

5. Andy123

Andy123

You are not giving up any liberty by being searched at the airport. So your question is a bit of a false dicothomy.

6. SanityAssassin

SanityAssassin

'Liberty' is a vague term, but the constitution does say something about 'unreasonable searches'.
    I certainly wouldn't trade rights/civil liberties for a better feeling of safety, in fact, it would take a lot of actual safety for me to even consider giving up rights. For me, the (usually high) price paid is almost never worth the marginal increase in safety

7. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

There are many thousands of the world's most frequent travelers who would disagree with you: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-safety-security-222/

Learn more about these issues. It might open your eyes just a little bit.

8. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Same can be said of the anti-gunners who fear guns. They would be happy to trade the right to own firearms for that special "sense" of safety.

You're a smart guy, you can figure where all this stuff leads to.

Paranoia, and giving up essential liberties for a feeling of safety is exactly what many bad people want you to do.

9. michael88

michael88

thats where i was leaning, looks like my butt is gonna have to continue to be puckered during flights.

10. Andy123

Andy123

There is a reason that I say no liberty interest is involved, as there are in other unreasonable searches.

With a airplane, it is simple. You know that you will be searched before you fly. If you find that level of search unacceptable, you can choose not to fly. No agent of the government will ever come to you and say, "Fly on this airplane, or I will TASER you."

When a police officer puts you in handcuffs, he is affecting your liberty. When a police officer kick in your front door, he is intruding upon your privacy.

Obviously, the government is in control of the airports, so flying is not purely a freely made contract, but, it doesn't really become a constitutional issue either.

11. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Again read the forum and you will become more educated.

Flying is something that may be considered to be optional to you, but so is gun ownership to many others. Most people may say "firearms are dangerous, and it's not necessary to own a gun. So what's the big deal?"

The bottom line is that people are giving up freedom to *something*. Just because it may be an optional activity or that you have advanced knowledge of it doesn't make it more right.