close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trading G22 for G17 a good idea?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by picturethis, Jan 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. picturethis

picturethis

I shoot a .40 just as well as a 9mm, but the price of ammo is the only concern of mine. If .40 was the same price as 9mm I would be very happy. The G22 is my only gun at the moment, and I kinda miss my G17. I found someone willing to trade his like new G17 for my like new G22. I will use it mostly for the range, and keep it around the bed at night in case someone breaks in. I don't wanna start a caliber war like all the other ones on gun forums, but I wanna make sure I'm making the right decision. Will a nice hollow point 9mm be as effective as a .40 hollow point? I am a very good shot, so I will hit what I aim at. I just wanna have the best rounds I can have. Everyone knows .40 is more expensive, but it seems like either you're a 9mm or .40 guy, but rarely both. Is trading a G22 for a G17 something you would do?

2. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

IMO yes. I would trade. 9mm is a great round and if it means you will shoot more often then it's a no brainer. Love the G-17!

3. picturethis

picturethis

I am just trying to make sure a nice 9mm hollow point can do the same damage as a nice .40. I usually would shoot 155gr .40 s&w hollow points and loved them. Can a modern 9mm hollow point do the same damage as a 155/165/180gr .40s&w hollow point, assuming you hit what you're aiming at?

4. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Buy a conv barrel and some mags to shoot pea ammo:whistling: at the range
    put the 40 back in for home protection.

5. picturethis

picturethis

I am not a fan of conversion barrels, even if the Lone Wolf ones are top notch quality. Call me odd, but I like to keep things as stock as possible. If I trade the G22 for the G17 I will eventually buy another G22, but I am not a conversion barrel fan. Thanks for the idea, though!

6. DANDYKILL47

DANDYKILL47

I personally like the 17 (and 9mm in general), but Steel Head's advice is definitly worth some consideration...

7. DANDYKILL47

DANDYKILL47

Sorry, didn't see this before I posted. If you don't like the coversions go G17 all the way. You can't beat the original Glock!:supergrin:

8. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

You know what they say about people who carry a fotay... Don't want to be seen with a 9mm but not man enough to pack a .45 :supergrin:

Seriously, 9 and .40 are so close it's not even a debate. Just look into the Speer Gold Dot ballistics. They're about equal.

Just put two in the heart and one in the head. :wavey:

9. picturethis

picturethis

I'm the only one in this room professional enough that I know of to carry a Glock 40 *BANG!!* :rofl:

I just don't have big enough hands to shoot a G21 happily, or I would own one.

10. DarkBlade1000RR

DarkBlade1000RR

just keep the G22 and buy G17...you already stated that you would pick another G22 up later on anyway....unless you want the Gen 4 G22......
    I tried the conversion barrel w/ my G23 (2nd gen) to .357sig...never had any issues but still felt "odd" knowing that it wan't a "official" .357sig....so i just picked up G32...
    I haven't made it to the 9mm caliber yet...I've shot them but feel more at home w/ the .40S&W calibers and up.....my personal preference fwiw......

11. picturethis

picturethis

I have been battling this decision for over a week now, and as soon as I decide what to do I start to wonder if I will regret it. I'd love to have the 17, but I also love the 22 and don't wanna give it up. I don't need a G4, so I'm fine with a G3 and it's not an issue of looking to upgrade. Just wondering if I should make this deal now because he won't wait around forever and I'm sure he could easily find another .40 to trade his 17 for.

12. DarkBlade1000RR

DarkBlade1000RR

..well it sounds like since you've been "battling" the decision for over a week now.....then there is your answer....keep the G22!

Do you CCW? If so...which caliber would you feel more confident with?

I'm sure there are plenty of good G17's around if you don't pick this one up....unless he's just giving you extra high cap mags, ammo, holster etc.....keep the G22....but hey..that's just me......:whistling:

Good luck in your decision.....

13. got_metal

got_metal

I own a G22 with a lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel and it actually shoots very well, even a little more accurate than the stock barrel, nice thing to have for practice, and at $100 as apposed to $500+ for another glock its a worthy investment, but hey if thats not your thing then by all means, buy another glock or do the trade.

14. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

I'm in the same boat-a g20/21 doesn't agree with my hands-Too bad

15. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

Any of the service calibers (9mm, .40, .45, .357 SIG), with a quality hollow point round (Gold Dot, HST, Ranger T, etc.) are adequate for self defense. I once got a tip that I'll pass on to you. Get the largest caliber that you can shoot well and carry that. To me, in order to shoot well, I have to practice. When I first got into guns, I was on a budget, so I had to go with what was less expensive. As a result, I got into 9mm. I haven't looked back.

If you know you'll practice more with the G17, make the trade. There are no magic bullets and there is no substitute for trigger time. If you're going to practice about the same with either, stick with the G22 and save the hassle. Hope this helps.

16. AcenJay

AcenJay

You're worried about if a 9mm is as effective and will do as much damage as a 40. There are some who have their doubts. You almost never see anybody arguing that a .40 isn't enough. In reality the difference in effectiveness is probably very marginal, +P or +P+ 9mm should come quite near the .40 in terms of effectiveness and recoil. I'd say keep the G22 if it's more for self-defense, or trade for the G17 if it's more of a range gun and you're worried about saving more money on ammo because you shoot a lot.

17. picturethis

picturethis

Yeah, it's 80% for self defense and 20% for range use. I work 60+ hours a week and have a daughter so I don't really have much free time. The free time I do have is best spent with family. I get out enough to keep the rust off, but not as much as some of you guys do.

18. pennypooguns

pennypooguns

Hi:
    From a self defense point, I don't think the BG will know the differences wherether he was shot with a 9mm or .40cal.
    What I would consider is what caliber is more available in my area.
    In my area .40cal is more readily available. So in my case I would keep the Glock 22.
    Jimmy

19. tango44

tango44

20. LRB2GZ

LRB2GZ

9mm is maybe $2 a box less than .40 here and A LOT harder to find. Go to Wallyworld, buy some $13/box .40 and enjoy.

I did the exact opposite of what you are talking about. I got tired of hunting for cheap 9mm range ammo locally for my 17 so I bought a 23. .40 is cheap and plentiful IMO without having to mail order.

Or keep the 22 and buy a 17 or 19 also :cool: