close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trade Glock for 1911?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by wanderinwalker, Mar 24, 2006.

1. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

Yeah, I know, it sounds ridiculous. Fact: Since purchasing my 629-1, my Glock has languished in the safe. It's only had 5-600 rounds through it in the last 15 months, at best. Also, it's a 9mm instead of a .44/.45 caliber round (which I prefer just because, though nothing inherently wrong with the Parabellum). My girlfriend lacks the strength to run a semi-auto pistol and doesn't really want to learn how to anyway.

Soo.... I am looking at maybe trading my Glock 17 for a basic, no-frills 1911. Around here the most commonly available 1911 that fits that description is the Springfield Mil-Spec. Having fired an unmodified 1911-type before, I know I don't need a beavertail to prevent hammer bite (but I DO like the shortened locktime of the skeletonized hammers).

I'm thinking take the Springfield, run 10-20,000 rounds through it to decide what I really want to do with it, and then have it customized to my needs.

Any other suggestions? (Other than to save my $$ and get a 1911 to go with my Glock. ;) ) BTW, I'm a college kid on a college kid budget, so you can forget about suggesting anything with an MSRP above the $650-700 range.

2. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

i have a g17 and will not part with it. i bought a RIA for $340.00 out the door.

if you can, scrape up that and get a RIA.

but i would trade my g36 for a SA mil spec.

3. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

Keep the glock. You'll need it when your 1911 is at the gunsmith for yet another "tuning" session.:upeyes:

4. OUSooner

OUSooner

WTF? you mean you will need your 1911 after your Glunck KB's!:laughabove:

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Get the best of both worlds........

Get a Springfield XD45!:cool:

6. paul45

paul45

Now that is funny !! :laughabove:

7. SilverState

SilverState

I got rid of most of my Glocks because the 1911 bug bit me. However, I still have a couple. One is a Glock 17 3rd Gen America's Heroes Commmemorative Edition and the other is a Glock 20 with Glockmeister extended mag release, extended slide stop, channel plug, and Meprolight adjustable tritium night sights.

But if you want a basic 1911 for a good price, get a Springer GI for around $400. You might end up upgrading it or getting another 1911 later, but you can't go wrong with that gun for that price.

8. 10-32

10-32 Here, hold this

+1 on the Springer GI

9. michael t

michael t

Another has seen the light and is coming home. Get the Springer to start.

10. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

I like the plan:patriot:

I traded away an AK clone for a Mil Spec, then I sold two Glocks to finance a Dillon, to feed it. :)

After you get the 1911 and fool around with it for a while you will wonder how you ever hit anything with that clunky, mushy, plastic trigger.

S :beer:

11. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

I like the GI aplenty, but I think the Milspec is a bit nicer gun. Just a step up the chain, if you will.

12. Robert McLeod

Robert McLeod

You are on the right path my friend. I will try to add more later as time permits, however, just take comfort in knowing you are making a wise decision.

13. retsvek

retsvek

I am a recent convert to the 1911 family. I must tell you Robert is NOT kidding. I just traded a Glock for a 2nd 1911 in less than a month. They just shoot that well. I thought I was an average pistol shooter until I bought my first Springer 1911, now I have a TRP on the way. The bug will get you if you even give it a little tiny bite~!!~

P.S. My 1911 has not been tuned and has been flawess for the first 650 rounds with the exception of one stovepipe within the first 50 rounds.

;)

14. Kinny

Kinny

Actually, I've been practicing with that clunky, mushy, plastic trigger and it helps me with my smooth, crisp, aluminum trigger. ;)
    This is why I keep a few Glocks around. They are light in weight, cheap to shoot (because it's a 9mm), and I don't feel so bad when I beat on it. But your plan sounds like a good one. 1911s are great fighting pistols. They have more of a natural pointability to them and the overall weight to it makes it well balanced, but it takes discipline and practice to use them well.
    Like others have mentioned, the SA Milspec is an excellent choice. The lifetime warranty really drawn me to Springfield. You can also look at the Kahr 1911s ala Auto Ordnance. They also have some good stuff for a decent price. Good luck in your trade. :)

15. Kinny

Kinny

That is really a common misconception. They do, however, need new recoil spring, extractor, and maybe mag springs every once in a while though. Every once in a while meaning every 15000 to 20000 rds or so. Nothing you can't do yourself. The extractor issue you can probably replace with a Wilson Bulletproof unit to have Glock like reliability. Other than that, no tuning is really needed.

16. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

Thanks for the input.

I'm rethinking my plan of attack here, and am looking at getting the Springer around December as a birthday/Christmas gift and keeping the Glock.

I took the Glock out yesterday and put a few hundred through it before making any final decisions. Actually shot pretty well with it. My father will probably let me hammer a few through his 1911 next week if I want. I don't really want to shoot them side-by-side per se, because that would really screw me up. Same reason I don't shoot my Smith and Glock in the same trip anymore.

There is room for both I think now. This handgun collection thing may become unreasonable! :supergrin:

17. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

That's a pretty good idea and it gives me thought as what to do with my G20. After getting a S&W 25-2 the G20 went to the back burner as it can't match the accuracy or distance shooting of the Smith. Moonclips are very fast for reloading (record is 12 rounds fired in less than 3 seconds) plus there's N frame ergonomics.

From this all-knowledgable corner of free advice; the record setting 25-2 comes highly recommended for your Glock trade-in and in steroid form the .45acp gives up little to stout 10mm loadings. :) IMHO, the blued 25-2 simply has class compared to the newer 625 or any Glock. :beer:

FWIW, both my 1911 platforms are tough and rugged and I expect the Springer Mil-spec is probably in the same league.

Adios,
    Bob

18. cabal_88

cabal_88 Working Class

I traded a G31 for a Springer Mil Spec. I very much like my Glocks but wanted a 1911 and couldn't afford to just go out and buy one. I don't regret the decision, but I will in time get another G31 (after another 1911 or two ;) ).

19. retsvek

retsvek

I could not agree more keep them ALL!!!

;)

20. wolfy692005

wolfy692005 pro tinkerer

do not hesitate... trade it...
    have your traded it allready??????? good..
    LOL