Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,600 Posts
Somebody said it is a beefed up 38 Spcl. I don't know where any beefing up was done. The real beefing up was done when S&W started using the L frame for 357.

I wouldn't trade because I have already owned a S&W19. I traded it off when the cylinder started dragging against the rear of the barrel. If you don't plan on shooting it a lot with 357 Mag rounds, it should be OK. That is assuming it's still good now.
For all practical purposes, the mdl 19 is a .38 Special gun (I forget the mdl number. . . maybe mdl 15) and the cylinder/chambers have been bored out an additional 1/10", and heat treated to a 'higher level'.

·
Stop the steal!
18,567 Posts
There is a lot of truth in what byf43 is saying. You can shoot the model 19 till your heart's content......if you shoot 38spl in it. There is a problem giving it a steady diet of 357mag........and, THAT, gentlemen, is why Smith eventually came out with the L frame.

hog

My model 66 (K frame) had problems because of too much 357mag down the pipe!

My recently acquired model 586 (L frame):

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
This has been addressed numerous times since the 19 was first produced, including by Bill Jordan (who claims the be the originator of the K-frame .357 design). You practice and qualify with .38 Special, you use .357 magnum for "serious purposes" and just enough to familiarize yourself with the recoil.

Furthermore, older .357 magnum ammunition is hotter than "modern" .357 magnum which increased wear. Also important to note is that the K-frame Magnums were intended to fire 158 grain ammunition, not the light ultra-fast 125 grainers... this is documented as from S&W and is available from numerous sites.

·
Banned
16,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hmmm. I really like shooting the .357 guns. I don't shoot a lot, but this talk of the problems with the round concern me. Since it is used, who knows how much .357 has been through it, right?

·
Stop the steal!
18,567 Posts
Hmmm. I really like shooting the .357 guns. I don't shoot a lot, but this talk of the problems with the round concern me. Since it is used, who knows how much .357 has been through it, right?
Right!

hog

·
Stop the steal!
18,567 Posts
......but, there are probably 10 good model 19's for every bad one! Most people will never shoot their model 19 nearly as much as some of the gun nuts on this forum!

Check it out as best you can, but sometimes it's impossible to detect a problem without shooting it. My Model 66, shown above, could have been sold without anyone detecting the problems it had......(slightly expanded chambers, causing tough to extract empty cases.) I sold it, but the purchaser was aware of the problems, and sent it back to Smith for repairs.

hog

·
Registered
459 Posts
Bill Jordan would say, "Well Son what are you waiting for, He who hesitates is Lost."

There is no Second Place Winner.

Nuf Said to you old timers.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
if you notice a good deal of flame-cutting above the barrel on the topstrap, it has probably seen its share of magnum loads. .38 special +p won't wear out the 19

you never mentioned your plans for the gun. are you going to carry it? range toy? investment?

if you plan on shooting a lot of .357 mag, you might be better off with an L frame 586/686

·
Banned
16,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
if you notice a good deal of flame-cutting above the barrel on the topstrap, it has probably seen its share of magnum loads. .38 special +p won't wear out the 19

you never mentioned your plans for the gun. are you going to carry it? range toy? investment?

if you plan on shooting a lot of .357 mag, you might be better off with an L frame 586/686
Home defender, hiking, safe queen.

I don't shoot much anymore, and I rarely carry. I bought the Glock 19 a couple of moths ago and have not fired it.

My guns don't see much use, but, I want them to be sturdy and reliable. I won't be slinging 50-100 rounds of .357 down the range, but, I would like to know that I could. I'm still undecided. :upeyes:

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,600 Posts
If you can, take a close(er) look at the mdl 19.

Off the top of my head, here's what I'd look for.

Cylinder end shake (front-to-back travel of the cylinder).

Does the cylinder lock up tightly (or not) when the cylinder is turned (single action) and the hammer is back?

Look at the top strap above the forcing cone. Is there a lot of flame cutting?
(If there is, have a gunsmith go over the mdl 19 before deciding.)

What is the general appearance of the mdl 19? Clean? Scratched up?

Is the sideplate in good condition? (Not warped, dinged, etc?)

What do the sideplate screws look like? Did 'John Doe' use a standard screwdriver to remove them, or a gunsmithing screwdriver?
(A lot can be said about how a gun was treated by looking at whether 'John Doe' KNEW how to take care of it, IMNSHO.)

Are there scratches/dings at the muzzle crown?

Are the chambers 'rough', and is it difficult to chamber a .357 Magnum round?
(This will show that a LOT of .38 Special rounds have been fired, and the resulting 'roughness' is from the bullet jumping a longer distance and the effects that the .38's burning powder has caused from the shorter case.)
I had a friend that had to use a .45 caliber bore brush chucked into a drill and use that to cut the lead out of his Dan Wesson mdl 15-2 (.357 revolver).

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I've owned more than a dozen S&W 19's and 66's, and many more 586's and 686's.

The L frames are fine shooters, but they're too big for regular carry by most people. My K frames had no problems with 158 gr. .357's, but .38's were a lot more fun to shoot.

I've sold or traded all but one of the dozen K and L frames I've owned - two were traded for a Glock 19 and Glock 26. The Glocks have better sights and their triggers are superior to revolver DA pulls. Thus Glocks are easier to shoot fast and well - I was instantly better with my first Glock than I was with my revolvers after twenty years of experience with them.

Revolvers are fun at the range. But Glocks are both fun at the range and practical in emergencies.

·
Banned
16,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I've owned more than a dozen S&W 19's and 66's, and many more 586's and 686's.

The L frames are fine shooters, but they're too big for regular carry by most people. My K frames had no problems with 158 gr. .357's, but .38's were a lot more fun to shoot.

I've sold or traded all but one of the dozen K and L frames I've owned - two were traded for a Glock 19 and Glock 26. The Glocks have better sights and their triggers are superior to revolver DA pulls. Thus Glocks are easier to shoot fast and well - I was instantly better with my first Glock than I was with my revolvers after twenty years of experience with them.

Revolvers are fun at the range. But Glocks are both fun at the range and practical in emergencies.

What's impractical about revolvers? :dunno:point, aim, shoot, no stoppages. :cool:

·
Stop the steal!
18,567 Posts
[/B]What's impractical about revolvers? :dunno:point, aim, shoot, no stoppages. :cool:

There is nothing at all impractical about revolvers.......matter of fact, a revolver is what I keep loaded in the home. I can depend on it, no matter how long it's been waiting for an emergency.

However, I will take nothing but an automatic along with me when I leave the home. They, IMHO, are the better choice for ccw.

hog

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,600 Posts
There is nothing at all impractical about revolvers.......matter of fact, a revolver is what I keep loaded in the home. I can depend on it, no matter how long it's been waiting for an emergency.

hog

Well said, hog!

Six rounds of goodness, just waiting on the evil to arrive.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
"Would you trade a Glock for a Smith and Wesson revolver?"
Depends on the revolver, my tastes run to the N Frame guns and a nice Model 27 just might provoke me as would a 6" Model 57 .41 Magnum.

As for a Model 19 or 15 AND cash?
No way!
It would be like taking an evolutionary step backward!
15 rounds of near identical performing 9mm for 6 rounds of +P .38 Special?
And come on guys, Very few people shoot many .357 Magnums in a K Frame
for very long and those that do find the gun needing some repairs at some point which puts you out one blaster at a time when you very well may need it.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The DA revolver vs. Glock practicality question can be answered empirically. In realistic self-defense competitions (IDPA, maybe others), what would happen if revolvers ran against Glocks?

Aside from the world's few Miculek revolver wonders, which would most people shoot faster and more accurately with the limited practice most people get - a Glock 19 or an S&W 19?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
The DA revolver vs. Glock practicality question can be answered empirically. In realistic self-defense competitions (IDPA, maybe others), what would happen if revolvers ran against Glocks?

Aside from the world's few Miculek revolver wonders, which would most people shoot faster and more accurately with the limited practice most people get - a Glock 19 or an S&W 19?
for me, definitely the glock. that's why i own both :wavey:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Would make that trade in a new york minute.

Glocks are well...Glocks, the Smiths of OUR day. Smiths were the Glocks of their day and still are taking lickings and keeping on ticking. Still have my Model 66 no dash, pinned and recessed, 4" and have God only knows how many rounds down the pipe, both .38 and .357.

Will put them ALL into a 1.5" circle at 25 yards offhand and have won MANY a beer proving that claim.

You won't be sorry. Follow some common sense guidelines (many have been mentioned here and the "sticky" IS excellent) and you'll do just fine. Unless you are feeding a STEADY diet of .357 magnum, no worries man.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts