Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
16,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you trade a new Glock 19 for a used S&W 19-4 (blued) or a S&W 15 (blued with wood grips) and cash? :dunno:

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
You'd be doing pretty well from a financial perspective on the 19-4. It's one of the nicer and more desireable combat .357's S&W made, and they are not making them anymore. They're getting harder to find and more expensive every year, and especially the ones in really good condition. If you want one, that's a more than fair trade in your favor.

The only thing that would hold me back is that I use my Glock 19 a lot more than my .357's, but that's just a personal thing. You may be the opposite.

·
Banned
16,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tell me more about the Smith 19-4.

I haven't seen a lot of them here on GT. It fits my hand like a glove. It's not mint, but, I really like the trigger and feel of the gun.

·
Registered
586 Posts
One of the reasons my Glock 22 is my bedside gun is in the event of a break in/theft, I can go out and buy another just like tommorrow, no fuss, no muss, no great loss. Can't do the same with any of my many S&W revolvers.

·
Frisky!
35,973 Posts
Nice used Smiths are getting harder to find.
The M19 is a fine example.
G19s are everywhere.
:supergrin:

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
i have two 19-4 smiths. the "-4" was the last model with pinned barrel and recessed chambers. the 19 was basically a slightly beefed-up .38 special that was chambered for .357 mag. it was meant to be easier to carry all day than the model 27/28. you can wear them out pretty easily with a lot of full-power 125 grain (or lighter) magnums. if you fire any magnums, you might want to stick with 158 grain or heavier

there's a good sticky at the top of this forum for inspecting used revolvers. i would look closely at the topstrap above the barrel for any flame-cutting. also, see if the blueing on the barrel matches the blueing on the frame. if there is a lot of flame-cutting on the topstrap, the barrel might be a replacement due to a cracked forcing cone. also look on the top of the barrel to see if the lines match up to the lines on the frame

mine aren't mint/unfired either, so i get to enjoy shooting them, but i stick with .38 specials. i have a 686 for when i want to shoot/carry magnum loads

·
JAFO
14,215 Posts
Nice used Smiths are getting harder to find.
The M19 is a fine example.
G19s are everywhere.
:supergrin:

I'm not so sure they are getting harder to find but the price certainly keeps going up.

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,600 Posts
S&W mdl 19-4 (1979, Bangor Punta gun):

This particular revolver has 15,000+ rounds through it.
It came new with Rosewood stocks (also have Goncalo Alves stocks), Red Ramp front sight, White Outline rear sight.
I added a Target Hammer and Target Trigger.

Make the trade. Buy another G19 through GSSF for $398.20.

·
Banned
16,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
S&W mdl 19-4 (1979, Bangor Punta gun):

This particular revolver has 15,000+ rounds through it.
It came new with Rosewood stocks (also have Goncalo Alves stocks), Red Ramp front sight, White Outline rear sight.
I added a Target Hammer and Target Trigger.

Make the trade. Buy another G19 through GSSF for $398.20.
15,000+ rounds? Durability aint' an issue with the 19, huh?

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
Any good condition model 19 S&W is a good find.

·
Stop the steal!
18,567 Posts
Put me in the group that thinks a good older Smith in the hand is worth two Glocks in the bush!

hog

·
Registered
32,944 Posts
Dude I would trade the G19 for the real 19. Then I would scrape up the cash for the 15.

I love K frame Smiths. Part of me wants to carry one on duty. My 4" 19 shoots amazingly well.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Dude I would trade the G19 for the real 19. Then I would scrape up the cash for the 15.

I love K frame Smiths. Part of me wants to carry one on duty. My 4" 19 shoots amazingly well.
+1

Trade for the 19, buy the 15.

We are allowed to carry one on duty... I'm waiting to see how this recent deal is gonna shake out before I drop the coin to have one setup for "serious bidness"

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,600 Posts
15,000+ rounds? Durability aint' an issue with the 19, huh?

Well, to be honest. . . . this revolver IS a Bangor Punta era Smith.

Bangor Punta Smiths did have some (quality control) issues.

This particular revolver went back to Smith & Wesson after 125 rounds down the barrel. I bought this S&W new, in October of '79 for $247 and change.

Back then, I was (very) young and dumb(er) and didn't realize/know that the mdl 19 was designed to 'train' with .38 Special and then carry .357 Magnum for defense/carry/duty.
I was shooting 'full-house' .357s with every trigger squeeze. (125 gr JHP.)

The barrel split, at the forcing cone, just about 1-1/4"! (And that is a 4" barrel!)
I didn't know why the accuracy went to the toilet, until I talked to the gunsmith at the gunshop I bought the revolver at.

S&W replaced the barrel and I had this beauty back in less than 2 weeks, from the date I dropped it off.

This has had mostly 158 gr JHP sitting on top of 7.2 gr of Unique ran through it, since the barrel replacement.
I had an armorer friend at MPDC recut the forcing cone at about the 11,000 round mark.
Groups are incredibly good for this old revolver.

Treat the mdl 19/66 right, and it will last a lifetime!!

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Somebody said it is a beefed up 38 Spcl. I don't know where any beefing up was done. The real beefing up was done when S&W started using the L frame for 357.

I wouldn't trade because I have already owned a S&W19. I traded it off when the cylinder started dragging against the rear of the barrel. If you don't plan on shooting it a lot with 357 Mag rounds, it should be OK. That is assuming it's still good now.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts