Tracking Forwarded Email?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Hannibal Smith, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Hannibal Smith

Hannibal Smith Guest

I need some help. I guess I should start at the beginning...

My parents have been married for 35 years, but are now getting a divorce. Over the years, my father never really worked much. He let my mother advance her career and pay all the bills while he just did his own thing. Well, two years ago he started having an affair. Three months ago he left my mom, but secretly took half of the money from her savings/checking accounts, cars, computers, and a long list of other items. Now he is claiming he is unable to work and must be supported for the rest of his life through alimony. Not to mention he also wants my mom to pay his health insurance, court costs through the divorce, be the sole beneficiary of her life insurance policies, and be entitled to other assets he did not take with him. In short, he is a real SOB.

Over the past few months I have been conversing with my dad, making him believe I am neutral in this matter. However, I have been forwarding his emails that he sends me to my mom. In turn, the emails have been turned over to her attorney, who will be using some of the information against him in court at a later date.

My question is this...is it possible for someone to know if their emails are being forwarded to someone else? My dad has become suspicious of me lately and I was wondering if he knows what I am doing.

2. c6601a

c6601a

He has no way of knowing that you are forwarding his e-mails in the way you are asking, but here's how he could find out:

* He could know your mom's password and has been sneaking into her account. Even if she changed it, after 35 years together he can most probaly guess the new one.

* Her lawyer has been communicating with his lawyer and has mentioned things that your father realizes could only have come from you.

* Your mom have been talking to her friends, one of whom is pasing info to him. Remember, if he was caught in one affair, it was most probably not his first and her friends may have been fertile grounds for his extra maritial activities. One of her trusted circle may be his ex mistress or current booty call partner.

* One of her friends or your siblings may be doing exactly what you are doing, but on his behalf.

Here's what you need to do:

Ask you mom to change her password to some rnadom letters and numbers, not a word that she would normally pick.

Ask her to stop talking to her friends about him. Even if she has not talked about your forwarding his e-mails, she may be giving out information. If you are the only person he told that he took a week vacation in Mexico and then he hears from one of your mom's friends about his vacation, youy bet he will suspect you.

Finally, I hope you do realize that you are buring the bridge with him. If her lawyer pulls out the e-mails in court, he will know that you betrayed him and any future relationship is unlikely. Maybe you are OK with that, but as long as you know that that is path you are heading down.

3. Toyman

Toyman

No, there is no way for him to know you forwarded them.

4. malkore

malkore Guest

just one more geek agreeing that he can't track whom you forward messages to unless he's embedded a file in his HTML email that hits a tracking site.
    I really doubt he's done this, especially if it was a plain text email.