close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Track Bike?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Alex, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Alex

Alex

I'm not gonna say that I'm done with street riding, but from now on the majority of the riding I will be doing will be on the track(hobby only). I have always loved motorcycle racing and it has been a dream of mine to ride on a race track and I now have the opportunity. My question is....What would be a good track bike in 600cc. I want something that can handle the abuse of long term high revving and also that can be somewhat competitive. I'm 6'3" 215lbs if that makes a diff. I have ridin many bikes and have owned a few 90's model sport bikes but I do not own a bike now. I don't want a brand new bike but I would like to get one only a couple years old at most.

Thanks for the help

2. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Unmutual

Have you considered AHRMA? Vintage bike racing. While you can get an older bike and have a lot of fun for a lot less $, you don't have to. You can buy a new Triump Thruxton for $8000 and race it in a spec series. Or a few year old Japanese bike. Lots of choices.

Some of the racers are very good in AHRMA. Gary Nixon still races Thruxtons. A friend of mine had a Royal Enfiend Bullet that won the National No. 1 in classic 60s. The rider was a former factory rider for Bimota in Europe. But a lot of guys are just enthusiasts too.

Classes span from Thruxton Cup and new sportbikes in the BOT and Sounds of Thunder classes to Pre-1940s with Harleys, Indians, BMWs and Nortons.

Might not be what you are interested in, but check out ahrma.org You can get an idea of what bikes are competitive by checking out the results over the season.

3. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

6'3" is uncomfortable on most 600cc track bikes.

I good idea for a 600cc track bike is finding a wrecked one that has a straight frame, forks, and is a good runner.

You don't need pretty plastic or turn signals to spin laps at the track.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If I were to want a track bike to beat up on, I'd score me a used Suzuki naked SV650 or SV650S if I feel like having a half-fairing and leaned over position. But that's because I like V-twin power delivery.

Otherwise, any of the Japanese 600 supersport will do just fine. But if reliability and durability are high then it's going to be hard to beat a Honda CBR600RR.

5. Alex

Alex

How good would the F4i be on the track? Is it to heavy?
    I was also thinking of the 98-00 Ducati 748, the price on those seem to be pretty good as well.

6. norton

norton

WERA was a great series for amateurs in the 80's and 90's. Don't know if it still in existence.
    I bought an used RD 350 Yamaha with expansion chambers to race in the WERA series, but before I got out to the track I found out I was going to be a dad, so I never did it. \
    My suggestion would be a bike with minimal bodywork. Get a used bike in good mechanical condition. Straight line speed isn't where the fun is, buy a bike that corners well.

7. WERA49

WERA49

WERA is alive and well. www.wera.com

As for suggestions, I agree with the above posters. Minimal or no bodywork and middleweight.

A SV650 would be great, or a '96-'00 GSXR750. They are really cheap, parts are plentiful and they handle very well. Any of the Big 4 Japanese brands will be fine. To have an Italian bike on the track is to admit that you have to much money! :)

I'm partial to two strokes. See avatar.

8. c5367

c5367 Esq.

You ain't lyin'! I get crap all the time for riding the Ducs on the track.
    If I coulda done it all over again, I'd have gone the SV650 route to start off with. (or maybe a supermoto bike. They're frickin crash proof!) Like FNFALman, I'm partial to twins.

9. Alex

Alex

I have fallin in love with the CBR600RR and im trying to find a good deal on an 03. The SV650 is not out of the question yet, what year sv's are the best?

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I think that the 2nd generation SV650 starts at 2003. New frame design, new engine tweaking and fuel injection.

11. Alex

Alex

how well is the CBR F4I as a track bike?

12. Silkywilson

Silkywilson

I love Hondas, ide say 600RR but they get pricy, a GSXR600 is perfect and what my wife rides, parts are everywhere and cheep when you do have your get offs, and interchangable for the most part shes actualy running GSXR750 inverted forks on hers.. makes for alot of low budget upgrading. Personaly im 6'4" and run a RC51 little more pricy but I LOVE HONDA...lol some one mentioned v twin power delivery, and I agree for a track bike.. the top speed isnt where its at its realy in the corners and getting out quick.. Oh and I belive you can still run a 1 liter V twin in the 600 class... so thats always somthing to concider..

13. c5367

c5367 Esq.

For racing, CCS classes liter twins with the 750's, IIRC. Not sure about WERA. They also have the supertwins and thunderbike classes for twins only.

14. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Unmutual

Hey, c5367, is your avatar you on your Ducati? If so, you are a fortunate man with excellent taste! :thumbsup: If I ever get my student loans paid off, the next month will be time for a trip to the Ducati dealer. Only problem is $140K takes a while to pay off.

15. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Yup, thats me. I love my Ducs! Just a heads up, The 06 sbks are going for VERY cheap, relatively speaking. Ducati is giving dealers huge rebates to get them off the showroom floors. They don't want any sitting around when the 1098 is launched. I managed to pick up a 999 for 4k under retail, out the door.

Fair warning:Riding a duc as a track bike is like dating a supermodel. They're beautiful but very high maintenance, which is all worthwhile once you start riding them:supergrin:

16. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Phil Deez Nutz

I'd say GSXR-750. It's claimed they can be thrown around a track easily and only weigh a little more than the 600. The power is great for the straight aways but not overwhelming while in lean. The 750 also has a little bit stiffer frame than the 600 but not as stiff at the 1000. That would be a good start for getting into an amateur racing club.

For something to just play on once or twice a month at a track day a SV650 would be easy on the wallet but fun on the track. You wouldn't have to worry about plastics either just frame sliders would do the trick.

Either of these choices allow clip-ons and rear-sets so someone of your size will not feel cramped on the bike.

17. Alex

Alex

I actually just found a 03 600rr and the guy accepted my offer so i will let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the info

18. Silkywilson

Silkywilson

Good job on the RR the reason I ride a RC51 is I couldent bring myself to put my pritine 1000RR street bike on the track, I even have a full set of race skinns here for it.. anyone need a set of 1000RR race skins? goin cheep..

19. Alex

Alex

i figured the track was safer than the street:motorcycle:

20. Silkywilson

Silkywilson

I sold off my street bikes cause here in FL there are no turns to find anyhow, and old people in cadilacs, sand, and anal retentive cops its just not worth riding the street.. me and the wife both sold our street bikes and moved on.