close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Toyota to stop sales

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dalton Wayne, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Toyota asks dealers to temporarily halt sales of eight models in a recall related to a problem with accelerator pedals.
    Regards
    DW

2. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

Not good for Toyota! :crying:

They are gonna lose alot of money cause of this and not to mention their reputation for selling safe and reliable cars! :embarassed:

3. turbostar66

turbostar66

They will be okay. Toyota makes some of the best cars on the road (at the moment).

I'm a gearhead...I have a big-block Chevelle on nitrous, daily drive a Subaru and have been a valet for several years in college, so I've pretty much driven everything. Also as a former hardcore street-racer, turbo Supras are no joke. Toyota/Lexus cars are always quality.

4. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

I don't see why the dealers can't just fix the cars they have on their lot. From what I've read, all you have to do is take the mat out of the car and this won't happen. That solves the problem until you can get the fix. Or is this a different problem?

5. Dalton Wayne

this a different problem

6. pack-indy

pack-indy Emissary

Thats what I've heard as well. A family member of mine has a Tundra and all they had to do was go to the dealer and get new mats. However, I have also heard that some of their problems came from over extended accelerator pedals :dunno: I think I'm gonna stick with American made :cool:

7. Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

My Tacoma is American made. Where's your "American made" vehicle made?
    :cool:

8. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

This is a new and unrelated problem. From cnn.com:

"The new recall involving sticking accelerator pedals is separate from an on-going recall of 4.2 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles due to the risk of pedal entrapment because of a loose floormat."

HH

9. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

I have a friend, who is a Toyota tech and he says that Toyota doesn't really know the fix but Toyota is gonna start having the techs do a computer software upgrade! :dunno:

10. sputnik767

sputnik767

Right, American cars have never had problems or recalls :rofl:. I feel that this issue has a lot to do with a couple of things: one being that Toyota is trying to squeeze their parts supplies to make cheaper parts, and the other thing being that many of their cars are being made in America, using American parts from the same companies that our automakers use. This results in lesser quality vehicles. My Toyota truck (2003) was assembled in California using virtually all Japanese parts. Even the engine accessory belts are Japanese (still looks brand new after 7 years, 73k miles). And the factory still messed up the assembly because they didn't align the front wheels properly, forcing me to buy new tires at 18k miles. But everything else has been bulletproof. Although I have had zero problems with my Toyota, I would not buy any new one. I just don't trust their new cars and feel their quality dropped considerably from just a few years ago. But luckily, I got mine back when they were the best of the best, and it will be a very long time until it needs replacing. And I hate to say it, but when I see a large portion of American parts on the sticker of a brand new car, I feel that the quality of the car suffers. I guess that's what happens when your family used to own nothing but American cars. I still think Toyota makes the best cars, but they lowered the bar. And it will take about a decade of Ford constantly earning good reviews on the reliability of their used cars before I begin to feel that they caught up.

11. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

:upeyes: Tundra's are made in Texas.
    My last Toyota and Nissan were made in USA. My last Ford and Chevy were made in Mexico and Canada :upeyes:

12. sputnik767

sputnik767

I heard that it was due to a faulty electronic accelerator module, that came from, you guessed it, American part suppliers. From what I've read, something about condensation interfering with the thing, and it either gives an erroneous reading or the pedal doesn't come back up all the way. I must say, I prefer my older, cable-driven accelerator pedal. But you have to give it to Toyota, they are not sweeping this under the rug. Stopping sales is a very impressive and expensive move on their part, but it will help keep buyers safe.

13. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

If I owned a Toyota, I'd put the pedal to the metal and get right down to my dealer!

14. ChaoticMunky

ChaoticMunky

I find this funny (as long as nobody gets hurt!!!). Personally, I do not like Toyota vehicles. Yeah they may be more fuel efficient, but right now Ford makes a better product all around.

15. Dalton Wayne

Doesn't matter where it's made, Japan still gets the profits bottom line period
    BUY AMERICAN!!!
    Regards
    DW

16. stiletto raggio

stiletto raggio

Toyaota, Mitsubishi, Honda and Subarau all built factories in my home state of Indiana in the last twenty years, and all are still open. The Big Three have closed plants and the UAW has run off a good deal of other builders. Until the Big Three tell the UAW to screw off, you will not find an American brand car that has the features of a comparably prices Japanese car, and you won't see as many American made American brand cars as there ought to be.

17. sputnik767

sputnik767

I would rather have Japan get profits and the American assembly line workers and suppliers benefit, than American unions get profit and Mexican assembly line workers and suppliers benefit.

18. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Time to put my foot down.

:rofl:

Don't buy UAW products: annoy Obama.

19. Trigun

Trigun

We never had a problem with Toyota vehicles until they started making them here in America. Those damn Japanese started relying on us to make their cars and it all went to hell. They should have known that. Those Japanese should come here and make their cars the right way and then sell them to us.

Molotov cocktail tossed. Now exiting thread. :tongueout:

20. sputnik767

sputnik767

That is highly debatable. I've driven some new Fords recently, the Edge being one of them. Interior was decent, exterior also, decent ride, but acceleration was very poor, and the brakes were absolutely horrendous. I could put up with everything else, but bad brakes is where I draw the line. I had a Geo Metro with better brakes than the Edge.