close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Toyota still having sudden acceleration problems??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Green70, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Green70

Green70

Just talked to a female friend of mine who bought a 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid in February.

Over the weekend, she was approaching a line of vehicles in a drive-thru, had her foot off the gas as she was coasting forward at 5mph.

The car was in electric mode and making no sound when suddenly she heard the gas engine roar and the car surged forward.

She hit the brakes with no effect and the Camry glanced off the back of an SUV in the drive-thru, and went over a concrete median before it finally stopped.

It traveled about 15' before it stopped.

There are two witnesses that say they heard the gas engine rev up during the incident, and the tow truck driver said that her brake system "was toast".

Her daughter was in the car with her and looked down and saw that her mom was pressing on the brake pedal as hard as possible while it was still accelerating.

Toyota introduced a brake override system on all new models and this is what apparently kept the Camry from continuing; it cuts engine power if accelerator and brake pedal are both engaged for more than .5 second and the vehicle is going over 5mph.

This lady is in her 40's, has never had an accident, and is now terrified of her new car.

She called the Toyota dealer where she bought it and they said they are not interested in investigating it.

They told her to let her insurance company handle it. She is livid, and rightfully so.

I've long been a fan of Toyota vehicles, but have heard numerous horror stories of dealers that just don't give a crap about the customers; this is another one...

Her insurance company said they will have their people investigate it, pay for the repairs, and then send the bill to Toyota.

I told her to go up the chain of command at Toyota and demand that they figure out what is wrong with the car and that if she let's the insurance company shop touch it, they will use that as an excuse to deny everything...

2. Ragnar

Ragnar

When it was investigated last time it was found to be pedal misapplication.

NOTE: yes there was the issue with the floor mats, but that was two-three model years ago and was fixed.

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Hmmmmmm, the industry needs to get back to a MECHANICAL linkagge,
    wether it be a cable or rods to accuate the throttle body.
    Fly by wire does not seem to be working. A digital snap-shot of the
    ECU will show exactly what transpired.

4. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Any mechanical appliance can break and malfunction. That said, I have a difficult time believing her.

5. cphilip

cphilip

It was totally debunked and cleared last time. Although Toyota dragged its feet all it could before submitting to it, in the end, they were cleared. What bothers me about this story is that the Daughter would look down and verify the foot on pedal. First of all, that is not at all a normal reaction when careening forward nor is it easy to even do. Makes me suspicious.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  6. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

I'm not doubting the story but, I find it hard to see how a brake system can be toast in 15 feet. And I have never had a vehicle that the brakes wouldn't hold. I can put gas and brake to the floor and the vehicle sits there, I can even give the throttle a head start and the brakes will stop it.
    I drive with both feet, one for the gas and one for the brake. That way, I know I can't accidentally hit the wrong one.
    Sorry about the trouble and I hope it can be resolved without much trouble.

7. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

If in fact it happened like she said. Then there has to be a new issue coming up. The floor map was holding the peddle down before.

Lucky this happened in a drive thru. On the street at say a red light. Getting pushed into crossing traffic could be real bad.

I would suggest tho. To get rid of the car. If she doesn't feel safe, it will be a problem

8. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

9. Green70

Green70

This is what I'm most interested in...

I can't find where the sensor is that sends the signal that the accelerator is being pushed.

With the old-fashioned cable systems, you could mount a sensor nearly anywhere that could detect the accelerator being depressed.

With the electronic throttle, they could either mount it at the pedal or on the throttle body and have it monitor the electrical signal being sent to the throttle body.

The system in this case detected that the brake and the accelerator was engaged, which is why it kicked in and shut down the motor.

But, if the sensor for that system is at the throttle body, then that means there is no way to verify that the gas pedal was being physically pressed down...

10. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

11. Restless28

Restless28

The truth lies in the car's computer. The event has been recorded and can be downloaded. The insurance companies have the ability to do this and subcontractors do it every day.

12. Green70

Green70

I did a little more research and the brake override system is triggered by the accelerator position sensor on the actual pedal and by the brake light circuitry.

To me, this indicates that it was likely driver error and she probably pressed on the brake and gas at the same time...

But... She did say she pumped the brake first when it first started taking off, so I don't know...

I certainly haven't found any concrete evidence online so far that it was anything but operator error...:dunno:

13. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Back then, one of the car magazines did some tests and found that the brakes could drag the car to a stop against WOT.

14. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I also lean toward operator error, but my sister did ram her 2010 Toyota Highlander into a stopped car at a red light claiming from the start the car accelerated form a stop with her foot firmly on the brake the entire time. She has proven to be a terrible driver and has wrecked every car she has owned, so we gave her the smile and nod treatment.

I drive a lot of vehicles (car dealer) and I will say that if you were to mistake the brake for the gas pedal in a Toyota Hybrid it would lurch violently as the gas engine fired up. I bet that is what this turns out to be...Toyota has made more hybrids than anyone and I have to think a design flaw or software problem would result in more than the handful of incidents that have occurred.

15. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

16. Crazy KD

Crazy KD

It has been proven over and over again that a car's brakes can overpower an engine under full throttle application bringing a car to a stop. This is in crappy lower power cars and high power cars.

I'd lay big money on her hitting the accelerator instead of the brakes.

17. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA member

Obviously I don't know your friend but my BS meter is going off the scale. To recap point made by others:

Brakes will not be "toast" in fifteen feet. If the tow truck driver actually inspected them and they were toast then, they were toast before the incident.

Her daughter was looking at her mother's feet? Really? At her stated 5 MPH she would cover 15 feet in two seconds. So, just how fast was the acceleration?

It sounds more like she intended to hit the brake and nailed the gas instead. It happens.

18. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

19. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Its a toyota. We know they have acceleration problems. They don't accelerate well.

-Dana

20. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Where was her cell phone during this incident??

-Dana