Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just bought a slightly used 07 Toyota Tundra. I was suprized to learn that it had a "sealed transmission" and did not require a fluid change for life,(or 100,000 miles-depending on who you belive.) This was a new one on me and some of the web sites i've looked feature guys who have gone to alot of trouble to change out the fluid as it does not seem to be made to do this easily. Is this really neccessary? What say the Glock Talk Brain Trust?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had mine changed at 100,000 it is filled with synthetic from the factory. The recomended engine oil is 0-20, most dealers will try to put 5-20 in but the specs call for 0-20.

·
Cajunator®
38,164 Posts
Good move for Toyota, because a lot of transmissions are ****ed up by incompetents who "flush" the transmission incorrectly during a fluid change.

They probably spent a fortune warrantying transmissions that were screwed up during an unnecessary fluid change.

·
Got ointment?
4,284 Posts
I had a high school auto shop teacher who said more than once, "the job that scares me the most (for the students) is a simple oil change".

There were kids putting screwdrivers through radiators, stripping drain plugs, adding 15 quarts to the pan, wrong filter, stripped filter, 2 gaskets on the filter, loose plug, basically, if there was a way to screw up an oil change, it happened.

After I got a little older, I could clearly see the wisdom in his words.

·
Registered
30,883 Posts
I had a high school auto shop teacher who said more than once, "the job that scares me the most (for the students) is a simple oil change".

There were kids putting screwdrivers through radiators, stripping drain plugs, adding 15 quarts to the pan, wrong filter, stripped filter, 2 gaskets on the filter, loose plug, basically, if there was a way to screw up an oil change, it happened.

How do you screw up an oil change? The closest i have come is rounding off the drainplug and having to buy a new one because the oil change monkey used a impact wrench to put it on during the last oil change.

·
Registered
777 Posts
My Mercedes has a sealed transmission and didn't recommend a fluid change for a hundred thousand miles. And then, when I had ninty five thousand miles on mine ,they changed their minds and said change the fluid at thirty five thousand and never change it again.They even went so far as to not include a dipstick so you couldn't even check it.
I would change it every fifty thousand or so.

·
Boom Shacka
2,423 Posts
This is to make sure you have to go back to the dealer. You know the place you don't want to go for service because you will be raped.

Toyota is not the only one who does stuff like this. Just be aware. You should go to a owners forum and see if they have real issues with this. It seems each car has it's own problems to deal with. Maybe it is not a issue to worry about.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your best bet is to follow the service recommendations in the manual. I work in an engine plant, and seeing dyno runs that basically leave the engine at/near redline for weeks at a time have made me a believer that the engineer that designed those parts spec'd out the service the way he/she did for a reason.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

He ain't lyin'. When I took auto shop in high school, I watched a student just roll a floor jack underneath the radiator of a car and start jacking it up. Bent the mount and had to be pounded out. Another clown dropped a small screw into the carburetor of another students car during an oil/air filter change and damaged a piston. He didn't bother to tell his buddy what he did because the guy had spent a lot of money fixing up the old GTO and he didn't want to piss him off. The sound of that engine when he started it up.....well.....let's just say he figured out what happened and who did it.

No doubt some of these guys went on to do bigger and better things at your local Jiffy Lube.

·
Boom Shacka
2,423 Posts
If you go by what is recommended. Keep in mind the major screw up called DEXCOOL. You know. The coolant that was supposed to be good for 100K. Turned out it ate your gaskets.

In the end. Use common sense. Keep track of your vehicle and how you drive. If you drive like me. You better flush everything at 30K intervals. Not saying I am hard on my car :whistling: Not saying I have a spare supercharger sitting on my toolbox :whistling: :rofl:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
This is to make sure you have to go back to the dealer. You know the place you don't want to go for service because you will be raped.

Toyota is not the only one who does stuff like this. Just be aware. You should go to a owners forum and see if they have real issues with this. It seems each car has it's own problems to deal with. Maybe it is not a issue to worry about.
I know on my wife's 2003 Cavalier, to check the fluid level I will have to get underneath the car and remove a plug/bolt and stick my finger in to see if it's level with the opening (similar to checking differential fluid). I'm not sure if this qualifies it as a sealed tranny, but I can add fluid through the same opening if need be. A P.I.A for me and a possible money maker for the dealer.

·
Firm member
30,190 Posts

I remember a kid who brought his mom's late sixties Cougar into shop class and put it on the lift (single piston with four moveable arms). He hit the air lever and I remember watching the seats rise into the headliner. Priceless. HH

·
Got ointment?
4,284 Posts
If you go by what is recommended. Keep in mind the major screw up called DEXCOOL. You know. The coolant that was supposed to be good for 100K. Turned out it ate your gaskets.

In the end. Use common sense. Keep track of your vehicle and how you drive. If you drive like me. You better flush everything at 30K intervals. Not saying I am hard on my car :whistling: Not saying I have a spare supercharger sitting on my toolbox :whistling: :rofl:
Turbo should be good to go if you let it idle for a minute or two when you are parking. Most people who have turbo problems simply are unaware how they work.

You can also get accumulators that will maintain some oil pressure after shutting off the key. They also are used for making oil pressure when starting the engine, depending on how it's plumbed and/or wired.

ETA- oops- you said SUPERcharger. Never mind.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your best bet is to follow the service recommendations in the manual. I work in an engine plant, and seeing dyno runs that basically leave the engine at/near redline for weeks at a time have made me a believer that the engineer that designed those parts spec'd out the service the way he/she did for a reason.
It did not have a manual when he purchased the vehicle. I learned about the transmission yesterday when I was making an appointment for him to have the transmission fluid changed at 30,000 miles,( the guy wanted to flush it), I was reluctant to have this done as I know that it is not a good idea to do that with a Honda. Following this,(admittedly odd ), logic; I phoned a Toyota dealership at random who informed me of the sealed transmission.

Which brings me here to the Brain Trust.

·
Enslaved in IL
5,775 Posts
The toyota transmission is a good one. I worked for toyota for several years before my back injury, and serviced many of them. In order to check the fluid level you are supposed to use a scan tool. You put the vehicle into a special mode upon cold startup that will hold the temperature to a certain point. Its not too complicated, but to be done properly does require a scan tool.

We didnt have any problems with failures, and we did not service them until they got to 100K, except to check the level at the 30K intervals during service. Obviously as soon as any leak is spotted during an oil change or service it should be repaired immediately.

As far as flushing, I have noticed that as a general rule transmissions will last longer if properly serviced every 35-40K. Many manufactures run a 30K interval. Now, some trans will go 250K without ever being serviced, but that is not a usual occurance. Most modern transmissions do not require a filter change, necessarily, if proper flushing techniques are observed.

·
Super Moderator
11,539 Posts

yea, my wife chevy hhr is the same way...:dunno:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It happens to be a Toyota engine plant that I work in, and I was in the plant in San Antonio that built your son's truck two weeks ago. Want me to call AWNC (who built the trans) and ask them (seriously) ?
That would be very good of you; thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts