Toyota eh?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mr King, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Mr King

Mr King XD40 Service

Toyota Boasted Saving $100M on Recall, Documents Show

WASHINGTON — Toyota officials claimed they saved the company $100 million by successfully negotiating with the government on a limited recall of floor mats in some Toyota and Lexus vehicles, according to new documents shared with congressional investigators.

Toyota, in an internal presentation in July 2009 at its Washington office, said it saved $100 million or more by negotiating an "equipment recall" of floor mats involving 55,000 Toyota Camry and Lexus ES350 vehicles in September 2007.

The savings are listed under the title, "Wins for Toyota — Safety Group." The document cites millions of dollars in other savings by delaying safety regulations, avoiding defect investigations and slowing down other industry requirements.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587090,00.html

in my opinion, if you still own a toyota, you are an idiot.

2. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Now that is a pretty bold statement right there

3. Tristan

Tristan Awwwww.........

Ford Pinto's were 100X worse.....does this make everyone that owns a Ford NOW an idiot? Think twice, type once....mmmmkay?

4. hpracing007

hpracing007

Because this type of stuff never happens with any other car maker right?

5. HEMI 27

HEMI 27

gotta be the UAW

6. ppcrusa

ppcrusa

I read this a bit ago too. It looks like Toyota knew about this a while back. I hope they get called on their "safety" steps. Another company that could give a rat's behind about the customer. It's all about the money. Personally, I hope the gubment eats em up.

7. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

In my opinion if you buy UAW made vehicles and line the unions pockets while they RAPE the US taxpayer, you are an ignoramus.

:upeyes:

8. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

ok!!

...you what opinions are like right??

9. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Those Japanese learn fast - they got this trick from Ford... :whistling:

10. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

Im fine with that. Ive had my share of cars, as well as worked on and driven thousands of used cars for work. Toyotas consistently are the best quality automobiles I see. So our '96 corrolla has 134K on it and has never failed. And its EASY and affordable to work on and keep running. not to mention gets great gas mileage.

IMO, any one that doesnt keep their floormat from sticking the gas pedal, or doesnt know that you put the SOB in neutral when an accellerator sticks shouldnt have a drivers license. because that can happen to ANY car. god forbid we go back to the days of carburetors and throttle return springs that break or come off. people just expect cars to wipe their *** for them these days. and the federal government is more than happy to require the car companies to oblige them. all in the name of "safety". :upeyes:

11. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

True, but he has always come across as pretty bitter. Hell, just his avatar keeps him from being taken seriously.

12. Conrad559

Conrad559

riiiiight :upeyes:

couldn't have said it better myself

13. slims00ls1z28

slims00ls1z28

I hear that same phrase, "anyone who don't know how to stick car in neutral"etc alot. Many of them never have encountered the problem. You don't know how you'd react under the circumstances just like most training goes out the window in a combat/sd or high stress situation and instinct kicks in. Instinct in this instance is usually mash brakes and death grip steering wheel. I've had it happen twice (on an old 69 Nova). Once the floor mat bunched up while pulling on the highway. Took just a split second to figure it out because there was no traffic and it was straight. The second time the cheap spectre return spring stuck when I blipped WOT. I was headed towards a turn and the foot on brake, both hands on the wheel reaction kicked in.

And it's not the floor mats causing Toyotas problems, its more and more chinese/mexican made parts just like the broken camshafts a few years back the engine sludge issues, torque converters breaking and a host of many other problems.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  14. canis latrans

canis latrans

so, when a union negotiates a great deal, it's a good thing.

but when a company negotiates a great deal WITH GOVERNMENT [government AGREED with the settlement, no?], it's a bad thing???

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  15. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

I think we should all be walking. Anything else is just bad for the earth..... GO PLANET!

16. Aurora

Aurora

"I'm a recall coordinator. My job is to apply the formula. It's a story problem. A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 miles per hour. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now: do we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field (A), multiply it by the probable rate of failure (B), then multiply the result by the average out-of-court settlement (C). A times B times C equals X.............If X is less that the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

"Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?"

"You wouldn't believe."

"Which car company do you work for?"

"A major one."

V.

17. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

You go ahead...
    I'll catch up with you later.

18. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Do you own a GM or Ford product?
    I'm guessing you are too uneducated to know about GM's light truck gas tanks?
    How about the Pinto's gas tank? Look into those "recalls" and let me know how those went down.

Until then,..... I guess your quote applies to yourself more than a Toyota owner.

19. ShamGlock

ShamGlock

I'm still a proud Toyota owner. This is a black eye for the company no doubt, but I have 150,000 problem free miles out of my Tacoma and I'll be damned if I'm going back to a domestic manufacturer any time soon. I just don't really feel like that much of an idiot driving around in my problem free truck while almost everyone I know with a new F-150 or Silverado has problems in the first 2 years.

20. Bruce H

Bruce H

Depending on anything mechanical to never malfunction makes the owner an idiot. Depending on anything mechanical that is designed to be produced the cheapest way possible without failing makes you an idiot.