close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'Toyota defense' might rescue jailed Minnesota man

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gallium, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Hey - you never know. Dude could be telling the truth...

2. fyrecrotch

fyrecrotch

Sure, this has nothing to do with greed!!...

3. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Perfect comment.
    BTW the same fits nicely to Toyota those days :rofl:

4. farley45

farley45

Exactly what I thought when I read that line.

5. pugman

pugman

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The problem is a bad gas pedal assembly produced in Elkhart, Indiana. The company in question has only been producing the part for Toyota since mid 2004.

He has a 96 Camry manufactured at a minimum of 8 years before the company had the Toyota contract.

Unless he has developed time travel?

6. fyrecrotch

fyrecrotch

Depends, does he look like this man??
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  7. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I was wondering yesterday how many people will stage phony wrecks in their Toyotas to try to make some money out of all this.

8. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

I'm on the fence. Could he be telling the truth? Of course. The only flaw is the fact that his vehicle falls outside the window. Hopefully further testing will be done if his vehicle is still available. Preferably not by a "city mechanic". I don't know how the defense didn't get that thrown out. If it's true then not only did 3 people lose their lives but a man has just sat 3 years in prison for nothing.

9. mymini40

mymini40

the car year of manufacture is not in the recall list. way, way, way before 2010.

10. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

Recall list my ***...

the problem now is because of the Drive By Wire throttle, ie a computer tells the throttle how much to open and how long to stay opened.

In 96, Camrys had a good old cable going to the throttle body.

As far as the whole floormat thing goes...well, stupid hurts

11. NIB

NIB

It's obvious people don't read.

12. silentpoet

silentpoet

I don't know if he is innocent, but there could be a reasonable doubt that he is guilty.

13. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Agreed,pending further info.'08.

14. Skyhook

Skyhook

Who? :supergrin::wavey:

15. eingeist

eingeist

Correct me if I'm wrong, but accidental manslaughter coming home from church is a car wreck... 8 years?

People have received far less sentences for far more heinous crimes than a bad accident. No?

I've SEEN vehicular manslaughter. And who'll negligence should hold it's weight, I feel sorry for the people who must suffer both in injury and death, as well as the defendants for having to pay, often with years in prison, for an accident.

16. KusoJijii

KusoJijii alegacy of fear

Yes, his sentence is way too much.

"Koua Fong Lee insisted he had done everything he could to stop the car."

No, he did not. Turning the key off and stepping on the brake will stop any magically run away car.

17. pugman

pugman

Actually I did read that...did you read the article?....

1. A jury didn't believe him. Neither you or I were there at the trial...they were...he didn't convince them
    2. Relatives of the victims now believe he is innocent and plan to sue the deep pockets of Toyota
    3. You know every accident over the past 15 years involving a Toyota will be reviewed by some attorney looking to cash in.
    4. The driver was a recent immigrant with about one year of driving experience; I would compare his experience behind the wheel to that of a 17 year old (and we all know they don't drive erratic). He had never driven prior to coming to the U.S
    5. You will notice nowhere in this article does it say Lee's defense at the time had anything to do with a faulty cruise control
    6. His vehicle is way outside the window of time for vehicles affected by this current problem which involves a part not a car or company
    7. The defense could have had another mechanic testify to contradict what the city mechanic said about the brakes working properly...they didn't
    8. Any attorney worth his salt would tell his client to continously deny the accusations....true or not
    9. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's numbers show less than 3% of accidents are caused by mechanical failure (which includes tire blow outs or brake/axle/steering mechanism failure
    10. Based on the article alone, it seems the driver is more concerned about how this has affected his family than families of the people he killed.

So it objectively boils down to this....what is more likely?

An inexperienced recent immigrant accidently hit the gas....or a part completely unrelated to the current mess found in less than 1.5% of the cars sold in that year failed at that exact moment?

BTW, the total recall for the cruise control in 1996 involved 5,145 Camrys and was issued on 1/3/1996 for a part manufactured by Rostra Precision Controls-the Camry consistently sells about 400,000 vehicles a year...the odds he even had one of those cars is rare. The date of the recall being the very begining of the year would mean his car would have to have been manufactured in 95 for the 96 model year. The recall ID is 96E001000. In addition, the recall is generally listed as having affected the Celica but it extended to the Camry as well

About 63% of 1996 Toyotas were still registered in 2006 the year of the accident....so that rare chance he had a bad Camry is even lower...

And his new attorney is now counting on the fact when the recall occurred the part wasn't replaced....how many people who receive a recall on a brand new car don't get it fixed?

I feel bad for the driver and the victim's families. It was most likely a horrible accident which took the lives of three people. I'm pretty hard core when it comes to punishing criminals...the driver doesn't sound like a criminal. It does lay ground work though for issuing licenses to recent immigrants unfamiliar with vehicles in North America (which can be different from their foreign counterparts)...our laws...and how to drive in his country

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  18. KusoJijii

KusoJijii alegacy of fear

And, could have only been manufactured from Sep '95-Dec '95 since cars produced before September are tagged with that years date.

19. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

This absurdity is getting out of hand. There was a news story this morning in which a lady was claiming she accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the brakes and when she then tried to apply the brakes, her car wouldn't stop and therefore plowed into a house. Do you have any idea how many of these stories were on the news every week when I lived in South Florida? Lots, because old folks sometimes mix up the accelerator and brake pedals. Wanna bet that was the case with this lady but she's looking for a paycheck?

http://www.ajc.com/news/dekalb/woman-crashes-into-home-330341.html

Here's another one:
    http://www.philadelphiacaraccidentlawyersblog.com/2010/01/woman-in-glenside-crashes-toyo.html

And another:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYcW-OIDaPM

And ANOTHER one:
    http://www.fox16.com/news/local/sto...ry-Hybrid/_gxC1A0B7UKfpAuopIGBhA.cspx?rss=315

Greg

20. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I believe Hyundai already has a 2011 vehicle for sale.