Toyota dealer wants $325 to update map data in the Navigation system!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davethehiker, Aug 4, 2020.

1. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

I loved the BMW nav systems and backup cameras. The update pricing was about the same but I never did it or looked into alternatives. I downgraded to a VW for awhile. The backup camera is good but not great. It is a lot better than some I've seen. The GPS is AndroidAuto/AppleCarPlay. My complaints are that both wasn't too house a lot of the map under controls and you have to plug in to use it.

2. Barry581

Barry581

Did they sell the car as Toyota Certified? If it was the map should have been updated as part of the certification.

3. davethehiker

davethehiker

No, I can't find the words "Toyota Certified" in any of the papers they gave me. The only thing that's covered in the warranty is the drive train for six months. I haggled with them over the price and when they finally came down to my "out the door" price days latter I wrote the a check and it was over. Of course they tryed to sell a financing package and insurance for the electrical parts, but I made it clear that I was not interested anything else. I got the impression the guy who closed the deal, did not like me very much. I liked that.

I was told that the guy who owned the car before me was the owner of the dealership. He was standing there when I got in the car and drove off. He said that he just put on new calipers, struts, and tires. He did have a wistful look on his face as I drove away. I paid the high end of the blue book value but they paid the sales tax, and all other add on fees. I'm happy with the car so far.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  4. Lonestar 48

Lonestar 48 Silver Member

What do you like about Waze over the other maps? I've heard good things about but haven't used it.

5. Willard

Willard Who, me?

2011 335i sedan. IDK which map. As I understand it, I can buy a CDROM online pretty cheap, but the nav system requires a code to install the maps from the CD. The code is the expensive dealer step.

6. selogic

selogic

Nissan sent me an email with a Special Offer to upgrade for $99 .00

7. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

Love my Garmin stuck low on the windshield. Free map updates, 4 times yearly. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Willard likes this.
  8. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

With Apple CarPlay and it’s android counterpart, I think navigation systems will soon be history. You might want to consider upgrading your sound system to one that will support Apple/android. Or take the cheap route and get some car mount for your phone.

Willard and MCCM like this.
  9. Sharkey

Sharkey

Never heard of it till I started my job as a driver 3 years ago. My CEO is adamant about using it and even timed me one day when I changed course. It gives real time traffic and re routes if necessary. It tells you about downed vehicles off the road and police nearby. It is not always right but it is most of the time. On the Nav. It plug my phone in and it gets mirrored onto the big screen on the dash. I believe Google owns Waze.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Willard and Lonestar 48 like this.
  10. MCCM

MCCM

My 2018 Toyota Tacoma SR 4x4 is the reason I went back to Nissan. Too many horror stories to mention. I had that truck exactly 1 year and dumped it. POS.

11. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

I'm in awe that they charge hundreds of dollars to update the built in nav!

What's it take? Attach a cable, press a button or 2, go for coffee?

Willard and davethehiker like this.
  12. cbird77

cbird77

we just bought a new Caddy and I was surprised when it didn't have nav but I am getting used to the Apple Car Play system, its nice.

davethehiker likes this.
  13. davethehiker

davethehiker

This is the first horror story I have heard about a Toyota; most people like them. I once owned a 1985 Nissan Maxima. I loved that car but when they started to put air bags in cars I sold and bought a car with an air-bag.

Jonesee likes this.
  14. railfancwb

railfancwb

And AAA apparently still offers its famous TripTics to members. And its maps sometimes note rest areas...

flyover likes this.
  15. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I run Waze and have the phone in my cupholder... great app that gets me around traffic and is updated by fellow users so it’s real time. I visit my company HQ in Charlotte and Waze saves me every time.

I even went to an Army base to see my kid graduate training and had a hotel on base... Google was useless, I guess they didn’t allow the Google car to drive around on base to map the streets. Waze had me going right to the hotel, to the building where his ceremony was, to the museum, the PX...everywhere on base. Because the data was gained by users. It even gave me a back way out so I didn’t have to sit at the main gate in traffic.

Willard likes this.
  16. jmohme

jmohme

My wifes car, my pickup, and my motorcycle all have built in navigation. I don't use it on any of them. I use Waze.

Waze and weather radar are the only reasons I still have a smart(ass)phone.