Glock Talk banner

Toying with idea: .357 Sig barrel for Glock 20

1661 Views 20 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  4949shooter
This idea keeps coming up for me. .357 Sig seems like a great cartridge, but when I compare velocities of .357 Sig to 10mm, it looks like 10mm can get high velocities with heavier bullets.
And, I sanely admit, I probably don't need it.

But, then, being me, I think it would still be fun to spend nearly $300 dollars on reloading supplies for a cartridge that would be fun to learn about. And, then I think, wouldn't it shoot great out of a Glock 20 or Glock 29 with a conversion barrel.
Then, I reconsider.

And, then I think about it some more, and I wonder if the .357 makes more sense in a small frame like the Glock 31.
And, then I think if I'm going to buy another gun, I'm stuck deciding between a Glock 36 and a 1911 Commander or Officer.

It's kind of crazy, isn't it? You thoughts?

I'll bet Hornady XTPs would hold together pretty well in .357 Sig. :exercise:
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
8,142 Posts
I am sure there are others on here that have more experience with the sig than me,
I do have sig barrels for the g20, g27 and the g23 and will get one for the g22 soon,
I don't have a g22 yet.

With the 6'' barrel in the g20 I have shot 131gr red HFPC cast at 1680fps and 163 cast
at 1350fps with good results.

Remember in the g20 you have a longer magazine and can seat the boolits out .100''
farther.

Also have six inch 9mm and a 40s&w barrels for the g20, it is what makes the g20 a great gun.

· Registered
20,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't even gotten a .40S&W barrel for my Glock 20 or 29 yet. Again, since it is a cartridge I don't currently load for, once I add up:
  • A set of dies $35.49
  • An additional seating die $25.99
  • A Dillon caliber conversion kit $45.99
  • A conversion barrel $89.99
  • 200 rounds of Brass $44.00
  • 200 rounds of bullets $37.00
Total $278.46

Glock 36 $545.00
I tell you, it's enough to make me wish I was rich.

· Banned
45,550 Posts
I had a 6" LWD for a few years. One in 40 and 357, and sold them. Not needed.

· Registered
20,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a 6" LWD for a few years. One in 40 and 357, and sold them. Not needed.
That's sort of been my fallback position all along. I think I can come close to matching the bullet weights and exceed the performance of both these cartridges in a G20.
My main reason for getting my first 10mm was just that it seemed to be very versatile. Then, it turned out to be accurate and just plain fun to shoot.
But, I keep researching .357 Sig to see if there is a reason to try it. It seems like the recoil could be very manageable in a large frame Glock. :fishing:

· Banned
45,550 Posts
That's sort of been my fallback position all along. I think I can come close to matching the bullet weights and exceed the performance of both these cartridges in a G20.
My main reason for getting my first 10mm was just that it seemed to be very versatile. Then, it turned out to be accurate and just plain fun to shoot.
But, I keep researching .357 Sig to see if there is a reason to try it. It seems like the recoil could be very manageable in a large frame Glock. :fishing:
Same here, but got out of it before I got into reloading. Doesn't seem like a round I want to set up for. I like bigger bullets anyways. Speed be damned.

· Registered
20,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same here, but got out of it before I got into reloading. Doesn't seem like a round I want to set up for. I like bigger bullets anyways. Speed be damned.
In my state of confused enthusiasm, I failed to find the proper Dillon conversion kit. When they gave me the part number, I saw that the kit was shared with the 9X25 Dillon ( a necked down 10mm that propels 115 grain 9mm bullets at 1800 fps).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×25mm_Dillon
This Wiki says component wear was one of the reasons for the cartridge losing popularity. :freak::smoking::wedgie:I realize that I've never even loaded my Ruger Redhawk up above the slowest loads available for it, so maybe my sanity is slowly returning.

· Banned
45,550 Posts
In my state of confused enthusiasm, I failed to find the proper Dillon conversion kit. When they gave me the part number, I saw that the kit was shared with the 9X25 Dillon ( a necked down 10mm that propels 115 grain 9mm bullets at 1800 fps).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×25mm_Dillon
This Wiki says component wear was one of the reasons for the cartridge losing popularity. :freak::smoking::wedgie:I realize that I've never even loaded my Ruger Redhawk up above the slowest loads available for it, so maybe my sanity is slowly returning.
It can do both 9x25 and .357S? Kinda like a 10mm die set can do .40?

· Registered
20,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It can do both 9x25 and .357S? Kinda like a 10mm die set can do .40?
Almost. I figure the shape of the shoulders are probably different, so that means at least a different sizing die. Which means you might as well have two tool-heads. Which means you might as well have a second set of dies.
But, yeah, otherwise you share the same base-plate, powder and belling apparatus. Like your thinking:. 10mm/.40S&W, .357/.38, .44Special/.44Mag. I've got those. Straight case stuff seems like it doesn't require as much thought.

· Registered
8,339 Posts
OP, our brains... they're painfully similar :)
I too am thinking about .357 (I'd likely do it outta my 22, though), but the bottleneck seems to be a pain not worth dealing with.
I think if I were to do something in the .357 arena of necked down cases, it'd undoubtedly be 9x25. That will most assuredly be my next process. Now that I've got a ten, and LOVE IT, I don't have much interest in calibers less than .40.
I'm even toying with .40 SUPER, seems pretty neat!

· Banned
45,550 Posts
I too am thinking about .357 (I'd likely do it outta my 22, though), but the bottleneck seems to be a pain not worth dealing with.
I think if I were to do something in the .357 arena of necked down cases, it'd undoubtedly be 9x25. That will most assuredly be my next process. Now that I've got a ten, and LOVE IT, I don't have much interest in calibers less than .40.
The .40 Super is where it's at, seems to me. A damned good excuse to buy a newfangled G41.

· Registered
1,186 Posts
When I purchased the G20SF from another forum member, he included three Storm Lake barrels, a 10mm, .40 S&W and .357Sig.

After shooting the 10mm, I decided to keep only the 10mm and .40 S&W barrels.

The 10mm because that's what the pistol is designed for and that's what I'll use for primary defense in the city and back country. The .40 S&W in reserve for if the SHTF is coming and I need more ammo, there will be .40 S&W available.

With the .357Sig, it's a redundant round in the G20 and ammo is hard to find readily... unless you reload.

YMMV!

· Registered
93 Posts
I picked up the 357SIG barrel for a G23 from Lone Wolf and have liked the cartridge. I picked up the dies from Dillon and they are pricey but also easy to spot my brass at the range! Been very impressed with the round to date. Currently shooting a SIG P226 in 357SIG in competition this year for fun along with the G23/32. Favorite load is 124gr 9mm FP bullet from xTReme with 8.0gr of BE-86. Haven't been able to chrono it yet but book says about 1350fps (502ft/lbs). It is a different experience than reloading straight walled cartridges even with the carbide dies from Dillon. Not 10mm but fairly impressed with it.

· Registered
20,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Being similar to me would be painful.
Doh!! There are just too many choices.

After shooting the 10mm, I decided to keep only the 10mm and .40 S&W barrels.

The 10mm because that's what the pistol is designed for and that's what I'll use for primary defense in the city and back country. The .40 S&W in reserve for if the SHTF is coming and I need more ammo, there will be .40 S&W available.
I keep thinking that having a .40S&W barrel is a good hedge against a shortage.

they are pricey but also easy to spot my brass at the range!
I tell people the same thing about 10mm and they just get a puzzled look on their faces.

SIG 226 in .357 Sig ....they are pricey but also easy to spot my brass at the range! Haven't been able to chrono it yet but book says about 1350fps (502ft/lbs). It is a different experience than reloading straight walled cartridges even with the carbide dies from Dillon. Not 10mm but fairly impressed with it.
... and this is why I can't totally lose interest in the round.

· Registered
8,339 Posts
@MD, 10 is still a tricky one for me to find at the range. granted, no one else shoots it, so it's only mine I'm finding. I have, to date, found 2 single starline cases that were not mine.
I wil start a session warming up with .40, run a few mags. Then shoot ten for a good while, hop back to .40 (which then feels like a damned .22), back to ten, etc.
I sweep up all .40 brass when done shooting to prevent confusion and to keep all separated.
I run my G20 in 5 round increments. Yes, 5. I take a shot, register the hit on target, and quickly turn to see where the god damned brass has flown off to. usually I catch it still mid flight, before it bounces off another 100 yards. If I didn't, I'd recover 1/5 cases. It ALWAYS flies behind me way off into the mulch where they blend in perfectly.
So my method, albeit annoying, is shoot 5, look where each lands after the shot, then go pick up those five cases, and have at it again.
200 cases cost me 45 bucks, I ain't leaving them to rot at the range ;) I'm in it for the gusto. I have loaded 100 of the cases (still have 100 virgins laying around) and I fully intend to get 1k rounds from them. The starline company is outstanding. I'm running pretty hot loads, .2 below hodgdon max, and the suckers are BEAUTIFUL still. not one bulge, and some were loaded at the top end. my damned .40 has bigger bulges on every case, and it's a MINIMUM load!
oddly enough, bumping up to "published max", .2 grains higher, and the cases fly straight up and typically land on my head. might move to that for easier pick up!

· Registered
20,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@MD, 10 is still a tricky one for me to find at the range. granted, no one else shoots it, so it's only mine I'm finding. I have, to date, found 2 single starline cases that were not mine.
I used to shoot in a PPC league, where one of the regular shooters showed up one night and shot a couple hundred rounds of Core Bond through a 1911 for a match. Having zero pride, I asked him if he was going to pick up his brass, and then I was all over that stuff like a hungry gerbil on corn nuts. I added somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 to 250 rounds to my reloading rotation in one swoop.
I felt sorry for the guy since he was probably trying to get some practice time in with his new 10mm with full power ammo, and he didn't shoot very well.

@MD,
I run my G20 in 5 round increments. Yes, 5. I take a shot, register the hit on target, and quickly turn to see where the god damned brass has flown off to. usually I catch it still mid flight, before it bounces off another 100 yards.
Yeah, I usually shoot in five round increments and then go brass chasing.
  • It's easier to find most of the brass.
  • It helps me focus
  • It keeps me from just mindlessly blasting away.
@MD,
...... oddly enough, bumping up to "published max", .2 grains higher, and the cases fly straight up and typically land on my head. might move to that for easier pick up!
My 1911s both had their extractors adjusted by a gunsmith recently. With a mild load, the brass lands right behind my right foot. I've been tempted to put a bucket there to see if any of it stays there.
My 10mm loads tend to be on the mild side, but they mostly land a foot or two behind me, but they have enough momentum to bounce.

· Registered
10,597 Posts
Late to the party here. I have the LW .357 conversion barrel for my G20.

The Underwood .357 Sig 125 grain fmj load is a 600+ fpe load. The Underwood runs great in the G20, and is accurate and reliable when fired through the Lone Wolf conversion barrel.

The G20 makes a nice platform for the hot .357 load from Underwood.

Is a .357 Sig conversion barrel something I need? Probably not, but it is awful nice to have.

· Registered
8,142 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.