Total Hip replacement surgery

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Trench Sweeper, Sep 21, 2020.

1. BigBull 301

BigBull 301

Good luck! It's gonna be fine.

Trench Sweeper likes this.
  2. cbetts1

cbetts1

My ex just had one replaced, she just turned 50. She was bone on bone, something hereditary. She was up and walking around after the surgery, maybe 1-2 hours. Came home the same day. She is back at work (flight attendant) after 1-2 months. She can now walk up stadium stairs etc with no pain. She was in sever pain for a long time. Could barely get in or out of a car. Dr. says he has replaced peoples hips that are in their 40's. They tried to have her postpone it as long as possible but she was in a lot of pain.

3. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

I assume you have a good surgeon. Mine pretty much only does hip and knee replacements, 5 a day. You'll have to limit range of motion with hip for 4 months til scar tissue builds up. Sitting on low chair or low toilet seat is a no-no.
    Different from knees where they want you up and moving right away.

No need to be nervous this is now a routine operation. Ask for help getting in and out of bed at hospital and home for the first 2 weeks. The sooner you can get to the bathroom at the hospital the sooner you get the foli out of your bladder. You have to measure your amount of urine output.

Lots of tools to get you through these months, i.e. "hip kits". You physical therapist might have walkers for you to borrow. Get one for each level of your house. You'll need one of the rolling walkers to walk up and down the street, again borrow if possible, they are around.

Do you have a walk-in shower? Get a hand held shower head.

4. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

I had both hips replaced in 2011.
    Surgeon had me take, every twelve hours, a maximum dose of tylenol, lyrica, and celebrex. He called it the TLC approach. All I know is that after leaving recovery I only hit the morphine pump a couple of times. Mostly after the 5AM vitals check at shift change so I could get a few more zzzs before being walked around and physical therapy before breakfast.

5. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

If you have NO BROKEN parts...just bone on bone from cartilage wearing out....look at resurfacing where they go in and replace the cartilage with some kind of plastic. I have a lawyer who is a long distance runner and at 55 he was back out running in a week or two!!!!!!!

6. The Hawk

The Hawk

I had a total hip replacement May 8th last year. I was out of the hospital the same day and walked up three steps from our garage into the house. Home physical therapy came to the house three times and released me to out patient physical therapy. I went to three sessions and they released me. I was 62 years old when I had the surgery. No problems at all. Mine was bone on bone and hurt like crazy. Now I do whatever I want to do. You will be fine. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Joshhtn and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  7. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

We were doing Hips in 1970 in LosAngeles when I work as a RT. Procedure is better today, it work, best advice is go to a top doctor in your area who has done many. PS if you are a whimp and not willing to work hard at the PT post op. Well you migh not do well, PT & Pain post op is part of the drill for a good outcome.

8. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Had one done August 2019. Anterior approach. Lost 80 lbs before surgery.
    Have lost another 60 lbs, total 140 off.
    Was up walking within ONE hour out of recovery. Discharged next morning.
    Worked HARD on pt before and after. No complications. I ride a recumbent exercise bike, at least, an hour every day now. Somedays as long as an hour and 45 minutes.
    Now, surgeon pushing THA as outpatient procedure.
    Had spinal block. Took NO pain meds after second day.
    Scar is impressive, to say the least!

cityborncountrylivin likes this.
  9. Left-Right

Left-Right

If it were me, I'd look for someone experienced in muscle sparing hip replacement. Not all patients are good candidates, however. Your orthopod should be able to help guide your decision. Bottom line is that hip replacement surgery enjoys an extremely high patient satisfaction rate, whatever the method.

Good luck with it.

1bigK likes this.
  10. hilljo

hilljo Outstanding

Wife just went through this three weeks ago.

1. The doctor undersold what, exactly, was going to happen. Yes, a robot helps, but the net result is a 8 inch scar and new things in your body.

2. The intent is that you do not spend the night at the hospital. Prior to you leaving they'll have you climb stairs (about 4 steps) and can sit on the toilet (and get up) successfully.

3. If you are obese or very overweight, the first few weeks post surgery will be tough.

4. If you have good upper body strength the first few weeks post surgery will be easier.

5. Instant relief from the hip pain. Instant.

6. She used a cane for about 5 days after the surgery.

7. The incision itself caused some discomfort for about two weeks after.

Synopsis is that in the big picture this is a routine surgery, but it's still the real deal.

11. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

My
    My girlfriend massaged my knee replacement scar every day for two months with different types of lotion and my scar has mostly disappeared.

When I had a big surgery on my elbow years ago the surgeon did prescribe scar therapy from an OT

12. rearnold50

rearnold50

Don't know what your VA rating is , but you should file your hip replacement. You will be rated at 100% for recover time or housebound which is around 360.00. Check with DAV rep at hospital. Keep with PTSD group or support.

13. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

You got this

You want a surgeon that goes in from the front, and was trained in it. You don't want some one that transitioned from rear approach to front. Don't do general anesthesia. Do sedation and spine block. No you won't be awake.

This is the advice a nurse friend that had BOTH hips done gave me and what I did.

Now I'm giving it to you

All the above added up to fast recovery, and great results/life. Minimizes pain too after surgery. Actually, I was never in what I think of as pain. Just discomfort if I wasn't mindful of my movement. I could always be comfortable in chair when needed

Flush the opioids down the toilet. Do an advil and Tylenol at same time every four or so hours. Works great. Nurse told me that one too

Today I can hike miles, play pickleball, swim etc.

Pm me if have more Qs

And as my career mil Dad taught me to say ... Thank you for your sacrifices keeping us naive and unknowingly spoiled civilians safe from evil doers

14. 1L26

1L26

You may all go to Hell and I will go to TEXAS!
    Good luck! Hopefully this will be a stroll through the park!

15. fx77

fx77 CLM

Very predictable surgery provided u go to someone who does minimum 50/year or nothing but joint replacement
    Two things to know
    The surg pain is less than the pain with which you now live...
    And after surgery walk , walk, walk

PattonWasRight likes this.
  16. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

I'll second that concerning the anesthesia. I had general anesthesia for surgery years ago and upon coming out of it, I apparently described in vivid detail some of what I did in Nam. The staff was shocked.

Also, there are a multitude of support groups to treat ptsd. The op, if he isn't in one, certainly needs to get enrolled, and file a VA compensation claim for ptsd as well as the physical damage to his hip.

Caver 60 likes this.
  17. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Very well summarized sir. How come out takes me a novel where others cover it in one sentence

18. kiole

kiole

My mother had both hips and both knees done. She went to a surgeon didn’t like him and had a bad feeling so she looked around for a new surgeon. She found a surgeon she was comfortable with and had amazing results. She did one at a time and went from life altering debilitating pain to complete relief.

Find a good surgeon, watch out for infection and following PT instructions.

19. varget

varget

best of luck and follow directions all the way. they really have improved surgery compared to the past. the fear beforehand is probably the worst part of it. keep doing the pt and you'll be up and around in much less time than you are thinking.

20. Dynactus

Dynactus The wind serenades a purified man.

Tell your anesthesiologist that you want Zofran IV just prior to surgery and more after surgery as needed for nausea and vomiting. Guaranteed to prevent nausea/vomiting post surgery.
    Women having belly surgery frequently have n/v post surgery. I requested Zofran for all three of my wife's surgeries. No n/v after any of them.
    I'd like to edit my post to add that I understand you're not female and not having belly surgery. Point is if Zofran works that well for women having belly surgery, imagine what it will do for a male having a hip replaced. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020