Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should start this thread with the qualification that I really only want/need two handguns around. I am not a big "gun guy" but carry one because we can live in a sometimes violent world and I want to be able to protect myself and my family.

Just after the recent Presidential elections I sold my Sig .239 in .40 S&W to buy a new SA XD-45. I figured high capacity fire arms were about to become extinct. So I carried that around for most of the winter without issue because it is easy to hide under a jacket or sweatshirt.

The summer is now upon us and I decided that I needed a "summer carry". So off to the gun store I went. I will stop here and say that I have always had a love/hate relationship with Glocks, but the subs hide well and pack enough of a kick so I never feel out-gunned. Much to my delight, I came across a gently used G-27 with night sights and a laser guide rod with a couple mags (one shorty, one with a Pearce +, and one G-23 mag) for a steal of a price ($475) so I picked it up. Have carried nothing but in about 10 days.

My brother drops by this morning and offers to take the XD out for a walk (hasn't seen the light of day ina while) so I figure what the hey. He leaves his G-23 for collateral (doesn't want two guns jammed in his waist band all day) so I start re-acquainting myself with it and next thing you know, I am starting to think about selling the XD to fund the purchase of a new Glock.

Logic:

Same caliber
Same platform
Same trigger
Magazines are interchangable (at least one way).
The leather is all the same
Sight picture is the same
The G-23 is a high cap, just like the XD so I ain't losing anything there.

Am I thinking right about this? Or do I keep the XD in the safe because it's never a bad thing to have a 13 round .45ACP in the house?

Basically the same gun only less a couple a finger

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
I'm actually thinking of picking up an XD from the Glock side to have around after my experiences so I'll give you my answer.

The big question is if you want a backstrap safety or not on your firearm.

The XD comes in a sub compact as well. Have you held one of those yet? Their subcompact 9mm now holds 14 rds 13+1. It takes the full size 9mm magazines as well. If you like the XD and are familiar with it I'd certainly look into holding a couple sub versions.

My glock 26 has a rust issue. It is still the most dependable firearm I've ever owned and I think I will always have a glock 26.

The XD's are a great firearm as well and I do like the fact that if it was out on my nightstand one of my cats couldn't get their paw in the trigger guard and potentially have a firearm go off if it frantically tries to get it off or something. For EDC I really like my glock 26, I just wish the grip was a little smaller circumference.

·
Banned
1,650 Posts
You could always get a XD45 Compact, and keep the 13 round magazines for around the house and use the 10 round flush fit for carrying and better concealability. That's if you really like the XD platform.

By the same token you could just buy a couple G22 or G23 mags to use in your 27 instead of getting another gun to compliment it altogether. If you do get another one, but would still carry the 27, why not get the full size G22? Carry your 27 loaded with a flush fit magazine and carry one of the G22's 15rd mags in your back/cargo/whatever pocket.

If you're handy and have a steady hand you could cut the grip down on your XD45 yourself and essentially turn it into a compact. Then all you would need is to get a few ten round flush fit magazines for it.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
You make good arguments on both sides. I own both the 23 and 27 and both are great weapons. However, the two times in my life I have gotten rid of a firearm, I regretted it both times. If you shoot the XD good, then I would suggest you keep it and just buy a couple of extra mags for the 27. Good luck with that choice.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I sold my XD service 9mm when it choked on +p ammo. Replaced it with a Glock 19 and never ever missed the XD. The Glock 23 is the exact same size, in fact, I just bought one that I acquired on auction. I love the ergonomics of the compact Glocks. I am expecting the OD 23 to arrive in a few days, and then I will have a big brother for my OD 27.
There are some guns I will never part with, the 27 and 19 are examples of that. I'm hoping I feel the same about the 23.

·
Banned
1,650 Posts
Get a Crossbreed Supertuck and conceal your 13 round XD45:

In the "Another Satisfied Customer" column on this page there is a link to a slideshow/picture set of a guy that conceals an XD45 Compact with the grip extension/13 round magazine.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I'd trade, not "toss" the XD for the Glock. The XD is not a bad choice. I just prefer the Glock.

I had the XDtac9. Great gun. Pointed well. Ran 100%. Head-to-head with the G17 I had at the time, about equal shooters.

I (now) prefer one weapon platform to keep things simple and to practice with the same system. I stayed Glock because parts are cheaper, guns are now often cheaper, more parts abound and the design is more simple. I do not need a grip safety; more complexity unessesarily. I also prefer the Glock keeps the firing pin spring under less tension when loaded (compared to the XD and HK LEM). It's a small thing, but matters to me all other things otherwise being pretty much equal. That is what works for me.

If you shoot IDPA, the XD is in the ESP class, and the Glock in SSP. Might matter to you, might not.

I'd get the G26 and G19 combo. Second choice would be the G27 and G23. Third, G30sf and G21sf.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Given the regret many gun forum participants report after selling/trading a well loved gun, I have come to the conclusion never to sell or trade a gun unless I hate it or have lost confidence in it. IMO just save up and buy what you want. Keep the XD.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
My glock 26 has a rust issue. It is still the most dependable firearm I've ever owned and I think I will always have a glock 26.

The XD's are a great firearm as well and I do like the fact that if it was out on my nightstand one of my cats couldn't get their paw in the trigger guard and potentially have a firearm go off if it frantically tries to get it off or something. For EDC I really like my glock 26, I just wish the grip was a little smaller circumference.
What happened to the 26? Was it exposed to salt or scratching? I would be surprised if you have rust on the barrel or slide.

·
Registered
627 Posts
SAG's first rule of firearm's sales....
Unless it's a POS, don't do it, you'll regret it.

I have many different wrenches and screwdrivers, and firearms.
The day you start selling your tools is the day you'll want 'em back.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You and your relative should borrow each other's pistol for a while and find out if it will work for either of you.

Corey

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd keep the XD.. Even if you don't "use" it, as you stated, it's never a bad thing to keep a 13 round .45 ACP pistol in the house. I love both Glocks and XD's.. More so Glock being that I have more of them.. I do however have an XDM .40 and can honestly say that I've never had something go wrong with it.. Decision is yours.. Good luck!

·
Banned
5,375 Posts
I couldn't make up my mind either, so, I have Glock's, XD's, 1911's, and Ruger & S&W wheelguns, Mossberg & Remington shotties... indecisiveness is expensive:supergrin: IMO, you should keep the XD.

·
Enigma
2,712 Posts
I really only want/need two handguns around.

selling the XD to fund the purchase of a new Glock.

Logic:

keep the XD in the safe because it's never a bad thing to have a 13 round .45ACP
I've color coded the conflicting statements, red goes with red, blue with blue.

Glock and XD are both good, you need both. Keep the XD and buy a Glock too.
I can't type any more because statement #1 made my head spin. :shocked:

:supergrin:

·
Registered
22 Posts
+ 1 on the Supertuck if you want to carry the XD. I'm ax XD fan (own 2 XDs), a 1911 fanatic (got 7 by Taurus, Colt, and even a High Standard Compact Crusader), but I carry a G36 with Pearce +1 extension x2.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I've had both and wrung out three XD's pretty hard. They'll handle lead just fine and they aren't bad pistols. I'm almost certain that the XD uses a lower quality (2 piece?) barrel; I'm dead certain that most Glocks will out-group them with most, if not all loads. I had two XD40's and neither would beat 2 1/2" @ 25 yards a number of loads...my G23 does under 3" at 50 with my bulk reload. Go figure.

Where the Glock smokes the XD badly is in user-friendly mods, trigger options, and OEM parts- parts which Springfield will require you ship the gun in, to replace them. There are also scads of Glock Armorer's around...know any XD Armorers? Me neither.

I guess it all comes down to what you want, how much accuracy you need and whether OEM (as well as aftermarket) parts availability is important to you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I have a kinda; somewhat, almost have the same story as PelhamGMan. It was time to buy another firearm at first I was caught up in that the XD was handgun of the year but, after looking at the XD I didn't like the weight. My G19 is only about 3oz heavier unloaded than the XD sub was unloaded. Lightness was one the most important things in looking for a new gun. The baby Glock was too small for my hand so, I choose the 19 and really that that much bigger. I absolutely love shooting it for as light as it is it handles well. I had no intension of buying a Glock but, due to shortages of certain firearms and not really liking the XD I was forced into it. The story though as a happy ending; if this shortage has any upside it's that I would have probably never have given Golck a second look. I have to say I am pleased.

·
Registered
99 Posts
XD from what I have seen are okay guns nothing wrong with them, that being said I dont like how much higher the bore axis is on the XD over the glock.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts