Toshiba Laptop Help Needed

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Tarkio, May 4, 2007.

1. Tarkio

Tarkio

I have a Toshiba laptop that is giving me some pretty good fits.

The external power plug isn't working. When you plug the power into the back of the computer,it is very sensitive to pressure and exact placement in the jack. It really only responds to charging when the computer is turned ogg.

In other words, if the computer is on, I cannot get it to run from external power. And when it is off, it is very difficult to get it to charge.

Anybody have experience with this? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. srhoades

srhoades

Very common problem. The connectors inside the plug have become broken from bending this way and that. Think of a paperclip, bend it back and forth enough times and it will break. You will need to purchase a new A/C adpater.

3. Tarkio

Tarkio

I originally thought this also, but the fact that the computer responds differently depending on whether the machine is fired up or not made me think perhaps there is something else here. Also, when I bend that power cord itself and move it all around, it doesn't affect anything. The only thing that effects a change is moving the plug further in or out or putting pressure on the plug itself. Perhaps it is the pin on the computer power jack????

4. srhoades

srhoades

That is also possible and another common problem. Unfortunatly that makes it worse. Sometimes you can buy a replacement jack that just replaces the old one. However, more often than not it is soldered onto the board, which means you would have to buy a completly new board for your laptop. Neither cheap nor that easy to replace.