Torn Rotator Cuff

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by reniram, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Never considered that might be a possibility. How would you go about getting stem cells?

2. Jonesee

Jonesee

They did stem cell therapy on my knee. They micro-fracture the head of the bone that goes into the joint by drilling small holes into it. It allows the stem cells to leak from the holes and if everything works, grows and recreates a barrier on the joint.

It works best the younger people up to mid 30s. I was mid 50s when they attempted mine and it failed.

nrajeff likes this.

3. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

tore mine 4 years ago. Doctors couldn't do surgery because it was torn too much and couldn't stretch the ligaments far enough to stich back together. I was 65 when I did it. had to go through PT. It was a *****, hurt like you wouldn't believe. Still don't have much motion in my right arm. GET THE SURGERY.

4. johnnypaul

johnnypaul

I had surgery an bye the time I had it an recoved it took 14 months. I ended up with frozen shoulder. I lost a lot of movement/strength after surgery wouldnt do it again. Think my other shoulder is giving me problems now also. My surgery was originally for bone spurs and arthritis an found the tear while taking care of those.

Resqu2 likes this.
  5. as400guy1

as400guy1

I didn't tear mine, i destroyed it. Three surgeries later, i still don't have full movement.

nrajeff likes this.
  6. The Hawk

The Hawk

I had rotator cuff surgery 11 years ago. Mine was a bad tear. Surgery fixed it, but it was a long road to recover. Do what the PT folks say. I wore that sling for 6 weeks. I am fine now, just have to be careful doing some things. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

7. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

Both mine are torn, I just suck it up, live with a little pain. Secret the surgeons do not want to tell is sometimes over time they self heal. PT is the way to go, surgury is NO GUARANTEE of nothing but the doctor doing the procedure paying for his or her high dollar car.

nrajeff and Haldor like this.
  8. Haldor

Mine healed on its own. I still get twinges, but I have a full range of motion.

pAZ Ron likes this.
  9. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

Sometimes they heal, but it's like have Cataracks, if you go to the grave with em you have cheated some eye surgon out of fees.

I have minor Cataracks, do not interfear with me seeing. I know what I have, I do not know what I will have if some great person with M.D., following their name screws up on me.

Being blind is no big deal unless it is me being blind. Hope you get my point.

Haldor likes this.
  10. billorights

billorights

I've had both. Still feel it like a tight squeeze on both but no real pain. Had mine done by the surgeons that treat Duke athletes. They said both were as bad as they had seen. I know it hurt like hell for a long time.

nrajeff likes this.
  11. Haldor

This is in my future. I wear glasses which helps with UV, but I live in Arizona. My eyesight sucks,
    but at least for now, it still works.

12. utah

utah

Had a complete rupture, frayed tendons and a bone spur repaired couple years back…probably 97% range of motion and the 3% I’m missing is reaching behind my back…cannot get lower arm parallel with floor, other than that I’m back to normal. I followed the doc’s recommendations to the letter and glad I did, have a buddy that didn’t and he doesn’t have near the strength or range of motion I have, granted I have no idea how bad his was tore up. I do know he didn’t do the PT as long as I did…was out of shooting for 7 months, which was the worst part.

13. OXMYX

OXMYX

I'm curious.

How did you folks tear your rotator cuff?

14. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

incline presses

overhead presses

repetitive motion over head that tests the limit of rang of motion (golf or tennis for example)

I've tweaked my rotator cuff muscles more times than I can count. it hurts for a few days, or weeks, then get's sort of back to normal, then something tweaks it again.

I train my posterior delt and back to mitigate this...until it happens again. No more barbell benches, only dumbbells for flat and incline training, and always slow at the bottom of the reps to avoid a momentum tear.

And no. No more heavy overhead presses.

pntblnk likes this.
  15. OXMYX

OXMYX

I used to work next to a golf course and would spend lunch time on the links. I always stretched. Thinking back I never saw anyone stretch, just go out there and whack the ball. I think that would cause problems. .

16. utah

utah

I don’t remember, but if I had to guess dirt bike had something to do with it. I had been having issues with it for years, but only in certain situations/movements, had cortisone shot that lasted about 6 months, then we purchased a house that needed some renovations. We were putting drywall up on ceiling in basement, it was everything I could do to hold it up while the wife drove in enough screws to hold it up. I told her, once I got it up there she had about a minute to drive enough to hold it and if she missed the first one it was coming back down to try again in a couple minutes…she got really good at driving them in, thankfully the basement ceiling is 7’2. Got another shot that lasted about 3 weeks and knew the end was near for the shoulder, we finished all the drywall and went for an MRI which confirmed my suspicions, and surgery week or so after…glad I did.

17. Lonestar 48

Lonestar 48 Silver Member

Funny that this thread came back up. I just saw an ortho Wednesday about my shoulder. I grabbed a counter when I was headed to the floor last month and have had knife like pains in it every since. Can't sleep when I roll on that side. He put me on PT this week and next and scheduled an MRI for the following week. I had surgery on on the other RC 20 years ago and it fixed it fine, no lasting effects. I remember the pain when I injured it was the same as now.

18. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

From falling while skiing i was in pretty bad pain. Waited months to see what happened, got worse, before seeing Dr. & getting MRI.

Confirmed a 5 mm partial layer tear. Decided to go with PT. It will not "repair" but you can strengthen the other muscles around it to take over function & minimize pain.

Partway through PT i had to get a shot for pain management. After competing PT, I thought this is not working ... going to have to have surgery. Could not reach around to get left seat belt or pick anything up off back seat. Doing anything with that arm overhead was a no no.

Then by early fall I noticed less pain and it steadily got better. Took 9-12 months but finally could say it was well.

You can never say 100% either with or without surgery. But I am not in pain & about 97٪ in mobility with no recurring episodes so far. I quit the overhead presses too. But i can fully shoot my compound bow!

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  19. reniram

reniram

Skiing. Took a bad fall, the pole was wrapped around my wrist and planted in the ground. The rest of my body went one way, my right arm almost 180 degrees in the opposite direction in a very violent and quick way.

20. nrajeff

nrajeff

When I was about 40 I was jogging and tripped on some trash in the road--plastic webbing that got wrapped around my feet. I fell forward on my face, and putting my arms forward to break my fall messed up a rotator cuff. Within 24 hours I couldn't move the arm without lots of pain. I was dumb and didn't go to a doctor. I put the arm in a sling to immobilize it, and was really careful about using that arm for months. 6 months later I tried doing some push-ups and it did not end well, partially re-injured it. Tried again a year later, with better results. Now, 15 years later, there is no pain when using it, but I am careful about stressing it too much.

reniram likes this.