Torn Meniscus...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by deputy tom, Apr 17, 2012.

1. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Anyone have the surgery to repair a torn meniscus? tom.:therapy:

2. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

I had it done (arthroscopic) about 15 years ago. I was on crutches for a few days, a few weeks of very light activity, and less than a month it was back to normal activities. No residual problems since.

3. CAcop

CAcop

I had mine cut out because I lived with it for so long they couldn't repair it. It is actually faster healing time than repair. It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for full duty for cutting it out vs 6 months for repair.

4. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Thanks guys. I have to get an MRI then the surgeon will tell me what the procedure will be.tom.:cool:

5. Neero

Neero Sleep-deprived

Had two tears that were damaged to where removal was done over repair, along with a new ACL graft. Was on crutches for a week and walking very much normally, albeit slowly and carefully, in two weeks. Just got cleared after six months to twist and pivot again... but that was all due to ACL. The meniscus alone, I'd have been fine inside of a month.

Oh, and either way... get it done. A torn meniscus will be a constant bother, will get worse over time, and will lead to more intense arthritis later on. Better to just get it cut out and continue on with good life.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  6. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Left knee - 1988.
    I was in a cast, from my ankle to my groin. 8 weeks.
    The cast wasn't for the meniscus. I had an osteoid osteoma (bone tumor) removed/cut out at the same time.
    The doc just decided to cut once - let it all heal at once.

I have to get surgery on the right knee (meniscus), after I move my daughter home from college, in May.

7. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

Tore my left meniscus around 1991. The procedure I had cut the torn flap off. If I recall correctly, I was on crutches for about a week and then physical therapy for about a month. Thus far I have had no residual issues, other than the occasional minor soreness after long runs.

It is a fairly common procedure.

8. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

I had the surgery for a torn meniscus on my right knee a few years ago. My knee was in a lot of pain before the surgery.

Just before Thanksgiving last year, I was excersizing and tore the meniscus in my left knee. This time wasn't nearly as bad as the last. Since I'm not a runner, I decided to pass on the surgery this time. My left knee stopped hurting after about three months. I excersize daily and do other cardio instead of running and it still doesn't hurt.

From what my doctor told me, they can't repair a meniscus, they can only cut out the damaged part. If you lose enough or all of your meniscus, you are setting yourself up for a complete knee replacement when you get older and you have bone on bone wear. I saw my father in law experience that scenario.

9. KLRBear

KLRBear

I just had my right knee 'scoped on Feb.24th. I had a pretty good meniscus tear (actually two tears) that I limped around on for three months waiting for it to "get better" until my wife insisted that I get it fixed. I had three weeks of therapy and was off work for six weeks. I still walk with a cane for security on uneven ground or downhill slopes (my knee still likes to pop and give out) but I am glad I had the surgery. Good luck.

10. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Thank you everyone. tom.:wavey:

11. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Yup... twice left knee. Simple arthroscopic surgery and it takes about a week to two weeks to recover enough to be mobile without crutches. I was walking with crutched pretty much the same day.

12. faceplant

faceplant

Remember no surgery is without risk. How bad is the tear, how bad does it affect you. I had a flap repaired on my right knee because it kept bothering me. I have a much larger tear on the left that we have left alone becasue it will only occasionally bother me. If you run find another cardio workout your just wearing them knees out.

13. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

That's exactly why I chose not to have my left knee meniscus operated on. I was waiting until after the holidays were over to have surgery. By that time, the pain was almost gone. Any time you go under general anethesia you are taking a risk of losing your life. I decided to wait a little longer, and the pain is completely gone now. The first meniscus tear I had a few years ago was a different matter. I was in pretty bad pain for a few months until I got it fixed.

14. Buki192327

Buki192327

Three times on the left knee, in the last 7 years. First time, I was on crutches for about 4 days, 2 days the 2nd time and less than 24 hours the last time. Never had to have any physical therapy.

Good Luck!!

15. fx77

fx77 CLM

Dritical is the yype of tear
    a central tear not involving the periphery is usually in a poor zone for healing and the procefure is usually a partial menisectomy

A peripheral tear in the "red zone" about 4 mm from the outside edge may be repaired.
    Repair takes longer to recover than an excision

The Repair could take 10 weeks and the excision about 4 weeks..

Of course if it is workmen's comp, it takes twice as long...facts...

16. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Get he cooler -pump- knee wrap for post surgery care.

17. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

To answer a few questions this happened a week before Christmas. I've been nursing it since then and it was feeling like it was healing.But last Saturday at the gunshow I told a vendor friend of mine " look no cane" and fifteen feet later it snapped again and hurts worse than ever. I can't walk without a cane and the pain is intense.tom.:crying:

18. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

The tear that I had caused a flap of meniscus would actually cause my leg to lock up from time to time, no real pain, but the flap would shift and my leg would lock in the 90 degree position until the flap some how shifted back.

19. BobRicks

BobRicks

I have a torn meniscus and didn't even know it! I was having pain behind my right knee on the outside part, and Doc says to get MRI done because all indications point to tear in meniscus. Go back a week later and he tells me I did have a tear in the meniscus, but it was on the INSIDE of the knee and that would not cause the pain where I was having pain. After about 3 weeks of physical therapy the pain was gone, and I guess the meniscus is still torn. If it hadn't shown up on the MRI, I would not know it was there. Sorry I can't help you with any info about surgery.

20. CombatCamera

CombatCamera

I think I have a torn one from Afghanistan and just got my physical therapy appt set for next week. They took X-rays and the knee looked good so that was a good sign.