close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Topton, PA 2011 Debriefing & Photo Thread

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Aug 20, 2011.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your stories and photos here.

2. rabump199

rabump199

Our experience was that it we had a bad day. She was sick last night and thought she was better BUT nope, we both made it through Glock the plates. And she began vomiting while waiting so our day was cut short and we visited a local medical clinic.

3. mike g35

mike g35

Sorry to hear that. Hope "she" gets better.

4. rabump199

rabump199

Oops, my iPhone left out "she" my wife Maggie. Sorry babe. She is doing better. She has a stomach bug. Larry, sorry we didn't get to say goodbye. Hope everyone shot well.

5. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

Sorry she felt ill
    All that waiting for this event. That stinks

Again sorry she wasnt feeling good ,I thought I seen her shooting ,I hope you atleast got to shoot a little

6. Jason L

Jason L

My favorite part of this event was seeing all my friends, that I have made on the GSSF forum . What a great group :wavey:

7. rabump199

rabump199

Glad you guys had a good time. My wife is doing better, her fever finally broke. She is hoping to be able to shoot our IDPA tomorrow night. Larry, I hope you guys did well. Jason, I meant to say hi to you but it looked like your were tied up with the slightly confusing lineups they were doing there. My wife and I got to shoot the plates and the side match, my only gripe was that it seemed a little unorganized but their were a good number of people shooting, my bigger beef was that the older gentlemen keeping the scores on plates gave me two procedurals when I told him I was loading to 11. He said I shot 12 on my turn even though the RO and I told him it was 11 loaded, he didn't seem to care. I think I would have been more concerned if we had continued but at that time I was more concerned about my wife. There is always next year. Not sure if we will shoot anymore GSSF this year. We have our IDPA league that just started. You guys are great and hopefully I will get to see you other places.

Bob

8. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Glad to hear your wife is feeling better. I do have a question on your plate proceedures. Do you load all your mags with 11, or do you use a stripper mag for the 11th round?

Don

9. rabump199

rabump199

Hey Don,

I have 10 round mags and I use a seperate magazine for a stripper. I even let him know I had 10 round mags and was using the extra mag to load to 11. I mean in ideal situation I shouldn't need 11 but if he did that with me I wonder about others that had more to lose with better scores.

10. Jason L

Jason L

I shot the rack with the older gentleman too, I shot some plates dead center twice before they fell. Agravating day,but like I said, good friends made it worth the trip. Glad your wife is better.

11. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

He is supposed to follow the RO's directions. The RO with the timer could call up and count your shots off the timer if that was in question. Sounds like the guy should have stayed home. I shot that match once and never went back. I shoot 15 to 16 matches per year.

Don

12. SARDG

SARDG

I don't think anyone formally teaches the ROs how to use the timers. It would then be up to the person breaking in any new Chief RO - and no one may have trained that person either. At least Cindy Noyes appears to have an annual training regimen at Conyers. (Never shot there (yet), but have been communicating with her.)

Between the Chief RO and the Scorekeeper RO, the alleged 12 rounds should/could have been checked. They should be operating as a team out there.

If there is any question about anything, you could have the RangeMaster intervene, as well. Of course on the timers I've seen at GSSF, one push of the button deletes the shot string history.

13. ImpeachObama

ImpeachObama Fuhgettaboutit

This was my first time at this GSSF stuff. Enjoyed it very much. Thanks to all the volunteers for being there and making it happen. There were 355 entries from maybe an estimated 150 shooters. That would be approximately 35,500 projectiles with possibly no accidents. I wasn't there for Saturday.

If Sarah from New Hampshire is on here, I found your GSSF card and will put it in the mail tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  14. Mal55

Mal55

I just wanted to say "Thank you" to all the folks that made the GSSF match in Topton, PA happen. Without you, there is no match. Looking forward to next year already. I almost forgot, a very big THANKS to the Boy Scouts that were there to help with pasting and re-setting targets. Mal

15. MajorD

MajorD

topton was very well run and smooth. was there on sunday- the ro's were very patient with a new female shooter who did really well for her very first time shooting a match. It was great to witness here enthusiasm with shooting the event. We need more people like her and matches like topton!

16. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751 5 or 6 rounds?

The timers that GSSF uses has a feature that allows to see the shot strings, which shows how many shots fired and the splits or the time between the shots. Most of your experenced RO's should know how to use this feature when an issue of how many rounds fired comes up.

Next time this issues arises and you have a problem with the RO get the CRO or the Match Director, to voice your concerns.

17. SARDG

SARDG

Yes, but every one I've seen has been the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro or Pocket Pro 2 - both of which store one single string that can be 'erased' with one button, by beginning another string.

The small CEDs can store 10 strings and have a lot more features. There are only 2 problems with those... I cannot hear them AND I cannot see them. The frequency is high, up in the noise-induced-hearing-loss range - the type of loss that shooters sustain. AND the display is VERY difficult to read quickly with polarized sunglasses. Basically useless to me!

The Chief RO (according to GSSF) is the timer RO (at each stage). The next step up is the GSSF Range Master:

Range Master: GSSF employee in charge who oversees
    range officers and all procedural and safety issues
    on the range.

On my very first match I sought out a Range Master for rule clarification.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  18. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751 5 or 6 rounds?

That is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, if the shooter has an issue with the shot count just pull that timer off the line to show to the Range Master for a final decision.

19. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

I wanted to share how our day went in PA
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    As always the absolute best advice I can give anybody attending a GSSF event is to Pre-Register We arrived about 9:15 9:30 to about 8 people on line. I walked to the other side of the table and asked a fellow if there was a pre registered place and he said he was it. I would say we saved a good 45 minutes at least.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    If anybody from the event is a member here and reading this I want to thank them for hosting the event and all the hard work they put in. The local boy scouts were there pasting targets making things go quicker. I would say they could have used another 10 people to help out. I was very understanding to any complication or shortfall as I could see a few people were trying to do the work of many. I knew this event was going to be short handed and looking for volunteers (they had it on the GSSF map) I just never went thru the training on how to be a RO. So I spent my free time pasting targets. I plan on attending the event in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Clearwater</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">Florida</st1:State></st1:place> in January. I plan on arriving in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Clearwater</st1:place></st1:City> on Thursday and leaving on Monday As soon as I make my plane reservations I will contact the match co ordinate for that event and volunteer as a RO for the entire event, this way I will have the training I need to assist at future events. and next year I will make myself available to the club as a RO
    This is our third event with Jackson NJ being our first. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Jackson</st1:place></st1:City> set the bar real high for other events. The <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Jackson</st1:place></st1:City> range was immaculate.
    I met Bob and his wife there and again I am sorry she was not feeling well
    I met Jason and his shooting partner. When Jason is shooting his gun it doesn’t seem to move, it’s just rock solid with shell flying out of it. Great shooting Jason
    I also think I ran into Xkon and his girl friend, we met him at the Jackson event I hope he checks in here again I think Jason L helped him with a flat after Jackson
    So how did I do, I thought I did great. Everything was perfect for me, no stress, all my gear working. My brother inn law, and his girl friend and my Son more familiar with what happens and what to expect. All my magazines full. But for some reason .I shot worse then my last event +7 seconds in Civ shooting my 17
    And +10 seconds in comp shooting my 34 .I don’t understand the dynamics of it, but I consistently score better with my sons 17 then my 34. We have been to the range at least once a week since Fulton and I have been using my 35 thinking the higher recoil would make it easier to shoot the smaller 9MM .So I am not sure why I shot worse this time.
    Thanks again every one

20. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

I will also put a couple of pictures up , Unfortunately none of the ones taken of me are very flatering. There is something wrong with my camera as they make my hair look gray and my belly look giant