close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Topton, PA 2006 Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Aug 19, 2006.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your stories here.

2. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

When we check in at 11:00am and Mark told us that there have been 197 competitors check in that morning we should have seen the writing on the wall! 5 hours later and after helping RO one of the Glock M's we finaly finished shooting! :upeyes:
    The RO staff was a little short handed to say the least, however, they did the best job they could considering the crowd!:)
    It was GREAT putting faces to names from GT and talking to everyone! I hope that Sunday is a little better for those of you shooting Sunday. :upeyes:
    I would like to say THANK YOU to all the RO's that did work Saturday. They were all friendly to Don and I. Well done Ladies and Gentalmen!

Dan:cool:

3. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

I arrived at the range around 2:00 PM today. The RO's were working extremely hard to run the shooters through and give each one their deserved time with no rushing. Thanks to the RO's for their continued support and efforts to assure a safe and accurate match. It appeared that one or two of the stages "steered" away from the already proven methods outlined by GSSF and were suffering from backup due to their choices but the shooters waiting to shoot all pitched in to assist and help "get the ox out of the ditch". That's just one of the reasons GSSF matches are so much fun.

As always, I had a chance to meet some new shooters and to visit with old friends. In addition, I enjoyed watching some fine shooting done by many competitors. Mr. Wilbert Spruell showed everyone how to shoot the 5 to Glock clean!! Great shooting Wilbert!!:dancing: :banana: :dancing: I will look forward to shooting with you again. Ede and I worked together at the 5 to Glock and our team members, Dan Johnson and Don Dyer assisted with the Glock M. Thanks to all for allowing me to work with you. Thanks to all of the GSSF staff and the ranges RO's for providing us another great day at the range. Now I will begin planning for our next match, Anderson, SC.

See ya on the range,
    Bobby

4. glockwerkes

glockwerkes

I tried something different this year, got there REALLY early to be one of the first registered. I usually show up much later in the day. Well, due to the tremendous turnout of shooters, my plans were fooled again. So much for trying something different.

As the others said, there was some confusion in getting people squadded (at least at the 5TG). I'm not complaining, as I am very grateful to RO's who volunteer their time in order for me (and all of us) in order for us to have a match. Thank you to the RO's and the range, as this is one of the few matches within driving distance.

How about those new courses of fire? Well, it certainly spiced things up a bit. I have not been doing this long enough to have gotten bored with the old original configurations. However, I think the new optional courses are a positive thing. Nobody knows what it will look like until you show up the first day to shoot. We got to see the optional M ver. V, and the optional 5TG ver. V. I normally engage targets on the 5TG in a counter clockwise fashion. Upon seeing the option configuration, I tried starting on the longest target for concentration, then moving to the progressively closer targets. Big mistake. Should have stuck to my standard SOP. Live and learn.

There is an optional side match ($5 for 4 runs) with 5 steel targets and the chance to win a lifetime GSSF membership. The best time I saw for any single run was 1.48 seconds.

Tip for those driving (if you see this in time): The Cabela's store is located in Hamburg, PA. It is about 20 miles from the range, right on I-78. I've been to the Cabla's out in Nebraska, and I think the PA store is nicer and larger. A must see for any outdoors and shooting enthusiast. No, I don't work there or own stock. (I wish!)

Good luck to the shooters on Sunday, hope you don't get rained on.

5. Ghost361

Ghost361

Well, I will say I am truly glad this was not my first GSSF match. As others I will say let us thank the R.O.s who showed up and helped out. As to the ones that said they were coming and bailed shame shame shame. They were so short handed the wait times were horrendous. We pulled in the parking lot at right around 9am. My self and 2 teammates shot 3 matches each. We shot them pretty much together and did not finish till 1530. 6 1/2 hours was a little rough after shooting Marietta and Indianapolis. The downtime did allow me to meet more people on here though. I finally got to meet festus face to face and man I would love to know how you got your alias on here. Definitely not what I expected with an alias like festus. :supergrin: Got to meet the team carver guys & I hope some of thier fairy shooting dust wore off on me when we shook hands. I am not sure what the solution is but for those of you who Topton was the first time do not get discouraged. Most of the people I spoke to said that was the worst they had seen it. And again no blame to the ro's who were there they were doing there best. Maybe a little more training in the morning to them to make sure they get the procedures. Again we left at 1530 and had the 8 hour drive back to Cleveland. Had to bail on the treestand idea completely. But all in all I had a good time and all three matches came in under 79 so keep your fingers crossed. As well, for a team score I think we bumped the first place Gaurdian team score in Don's hall of fame. So maybe massive amounts of downtime really is a good thing.

6. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Amen to John F's post....the R.O'S that were there did a courageous tour with that many shooters, when someone trying to run the timer, score the match,pull the rope,paint the plates and Squad the shooters....my hats off to all of you....and Ted this ones for you :beer:

Finally met the real John F...long story John, EDE did not tell me till later.Met Dan and Don from Carver Mounts and a few old and new friends....

John F....Festus replaced Chester who used to limp alot and I believe not many people today remember Gunsmoke let alone Chester... I desired a moniker that related to a physical condition as a reminder to myself, and I belive Festus was also considered somewhat harmless and not too self absorbed.

The match for me was also 6-1/2 hours for (4) categories and after Marietta...where I received a free pistol as a consolation....( just kidding random pistol) with a score of 239.xx I was under 100.xx for Amatuer Civilan....no pistol but I'll take the score.

OHHHH...one footenote met the JerseyGlockers...nice bunch of gentlemen....goodluck on your scores and the competition.

:supergrin:

7. jay33

jay33

I had a good time. It was a long day, but as everyone else stated the RO's did as good of job as they could with the number of people that were there Saturday. I did ok in AmSub with a 70+ score. After that everything went downhill lol. My AmGuardian score doubled that, and AmComp was not much better. I have no idea what went wrong only that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at that point :brickwall:
    Overall I had a fun day. Looking forward to the next one. :supergrin:

8. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i got there around 8:30 and left at 6:20pm. pam, my wife, sat in the car more or less the entire day. she usually does but not for that long. she was a little pissed to say the least. usually she either sits in the car or a camp chair and watches movies on a portable DVD player and uses a 12V booster pack for power. i think she said she watched 8 movies saturday, she'd of watched more but that's all we had with us.

the ROs did a execellant job consider how short handed they were and the problems associated with being short handed. after we left the range, ate at a place called Bostons on rt100, got to the motel and ran into a couple of ROs from the plate rack. i forgot their names and am sorry i forget, but they were truely great at the range and offered to buy me a beer at the lounge. met a few new people, no one from GT. did meet up with a Wood County (WV) depuity that i had met and spoke with before at statesville. it's always great to meet up with shooters from matches gone by. waiting o nthe results to get posted before i decide on anderson or not, and to see who's going.

9. Glock Dave

Glock Dave

I guess I'm glad that I decided to shoot on Sunday. There were a lot less people apparently. Interestingly enough though, I got there early but they decided to let all the RO's shoot the match before they let any competitors shoot. Been to a lot of GSSF matches and I haven't seen that before, not sure if thats typical. They didn't take competitors on the 5 to Glock until after 9:30. Overall, th RO's did a great job though.

10. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Well, my mapquest directions were good to the hotel in PA (Allentown) and to the range (plus GSSF directions). I was all right until I tried to find TINA DR., but then found it and the day begun. I too, went early, which is really rare. I stood in line to register, which was great because it means a lot of shooters. I just never saw a line that big. I went to the stages and signed in at 10:05. I went to the 5 to G at about 10:15 to shoot. I finished at 2:30, I believe, four hours later. I shot four categories and I shot two at one time, then I stepped out before the other two categories. Usually, this is done to let one or two other shooters shoot (which is what they did at GM and plates). Well, 21 shooters later I got to shoot the other two categories. I waited at GM, but not as long. At the plates, however, I was the only one there to shoot. Then, others trickled in.

I have never seen so many shooters. They could have easily had another setup at each stage (plates had three setups). The ROs did the best they could for the amount of people they had. I just haven't been to one this big. It is great for GSSF that they're turning out to compete. I met the Carver team and talked to Bobby Carver, Dan and Don (I hope I have the names right) and I talked to others from NJ, NY plus Festus and ede, my IndyGlocker teammates. I sure hope they did well, because this teammate didn't, but she had fun shooting. I finished shooting all my categories at 5:30pm, and by 6pm I was at a station pumping gas. Then, it was a fruit stand for some corn, tomatoes, peaches and cantaloupes, then the trek home. I pulled into my driveway at 2:25 am Sunday morning. I didn't get to sleep until 4am, but that's all right. It was a trip and a GSSF match. Look out Brighton, I'm on my way! I'll probably have a couple of "indoor matches" before then.

Thank yo ROs for doing the best you could on a cloudy, hot, hot, day with many more people than expected trying to shoot. You did good.

:freak:

11. murph2127

murph2127

The RO's were supposed to shoot saturday PM but they were running shooters well into 7:00PM so I think most felt like doing it in the AM when they were more rested.

360 entries, 11 RO's. It was a bit of a scramble.

12. murph2127

murph2127

Thank you.

Ted

13. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

What a day! Great weather, great RO's, and great GSSF competitors!
    My wife and I decided to drive on Saturday and shoot on Sunday as opposed to our normal process of Fri/Sat. We're glad we did especially after we found out that 221 people signed up on Saturday alone. I believe that doesn't count (persons with) multiple entries.

Sunday went very well. No significant snags and no long waits. 20-30 minutes at most. I got to meet Chris Edwards and he introduced me to the Glock 38. I am pleased to meet both! The expected rain didn't show up, at least not till after 2 o'clock when we left for home. Got to see Glenn too. :)

I have yet to compare my old shooting scores with todays. That'll come tommorrow probably. My wife and I really enjoyed our weekend together and that's the main point!

Till next time!

Jeff82

14. kilr318

kilr318

As the MD for the host club, it's always frustrating to see delays in shooters getting through their COF's in a timely manner. The posts are accurate: the RO's were doing the best they could with the MUCH larger than expected turnout. We ran 220+ entries on Saturday alone (a total usually reserved for Conyers or Benning), and finished with about 320 entries (second highest in 2006 behind Benning!). All this means is that when the request for help goes out IF I decide to run KSBC XI in 2007, we need more help to set up more stages. We've got the range space and equipment, but we need the VOLUNTEERS to make it all happen. That way, maybe the infants who whined and jumped all over some of my RO's for innocent mistakes won't have to endure undue waiting times. Yeah, we made mistakes, but we worked hard to correct the problem, AND, unless you have worked a GSSF match-even ONCE-you have no right to ***** out one of my staff. For you whiners, do me a favor and stay home next year. We'll do just fine without you. For everyone else who had the patience to let us work out the unexpected attendance and STILL enjoyed a good day of shooting-THANK YOU FOR SHOOTING AT TOPTON!!! Dave Miller

15. NitLion

NitLion

The RO's were flat out awesome!! The question is..... why weren't there more volunteers? maybe it's attitudes like this:
    that drive them away!

16. ede

ede Bama's Friend

it does seem odd with the high number of shooters you didn't get over run with ROs. most GSSF matches i shoot the ROs also shoot, or the shooters also RO. i ROed marietta and we had ROs with basically nothing to do and a few on golf carts making sure we had everything we needed and even bring food and water to us.

17. Melissa Ann

Melissa Ann

No, I don't think that's the case. Well, it IS attitude, but not the attitude of Dave, the MD. Not in my opinion anyway. This was my 4th year working the Topton GSSF match. I worked it in 2002, 2003 & 2004, missed 2005 and was back for 2006. In years past, there has always been plenty of help. I have never heard so much negativity and complaining from shooters as I did this year. Even the year of the PDAs, that weekend went smoother and the people were kinder, even when things didn't work out quite as planned.

I've also worked several IDPA Nationals and Regional matches. It's not like I'm new to running shooters through GSSF or other shooting sports. As a result, I've got pretty thick skin when it comes to people complaining about this or that (ie: the sun's too hot, there's too much rain thanks to Hurricane Rita, this is taking to long...). Usually I just shake off the negative and do what I can to put shooters at ease: apologize for the weather or the overwhelming turnout of shooters trying to beat the torrential downpours (that never came), or just smile and ask them how their day is going. Some people will always find something to complain about. That's life. Still, most folks usually just make the best of the situation.

I was ready to walk off the range by about 11am on Saturday after putting up with certain rude people who were interested only in telling me how they run things so much better.... Well, I was trying to do what I perceived as the most important aspect of my job this weekend, listening to the RO runnning the shooters through so I could record their times. And a couple people running their mouths off, loudly and impolitely, were making that a difficult task to say the least. Yelling at me, or talking trash is not an to effective means to bring about change.

I can honestly say that I've not encountered such experience before. Sure, I've experienced rude and impolite people, even cheaters, but none have ever made me want to quit before. It wasn't Dave, the MD, who made me feel that way, it was about 6 shooters. But for me to walk off the range wouldn't have been fair to the other shooters who were waiting patiently, or the other ROs who came to volunteer. Speaking of which... one of the gentlemen who was ROing, had been in the hospital for a YEAR recooperating from back surgery and complications that developed that no one would wish on anyone, and his first day out, came to help RO this match for you, because he knew the MD was so severly understaffed. I'm glad he didn't have electronic muffs on to hear the **** some of the shooters were slinging.

Thankfully, MOST of the folks who shot the match were a different breed. No arrogance. No ignorance. They were polite, understanding and helpful. Once things calmed down a bit, we re-evaluated our process and made some changes that helped things run MUCH better in the afternoon. The attitude of the shooters can make a huge difference in the attitude of the ROs.

Dave is a good MD, and he's never made me want to not come back as an RO. He's supportive of the staff and made sure there was water for everyone. The attitude that I think scares off the help, is the attitude of the arrogant shooters who virtually verbally assault the help and belittle them.

Fortunately, for me anyway, helping an appreciative person, or giving pointers to a young man so he will continue on in GSSF matches and the fun that can be had there, or chatting with a couple again and seeing how the lady has come along since the first time we met, or visiting with a very nice shooter (ede) in the hotel lobby for a bit... those sorts of things wipe clean a lot of the **** inflicted by the rude few.

18. Mrs. L.

Mrs. L.

This was fun, again!! That's why I come, to challenge myself and have good times with good people. Shot late Sunday, RO's were tired but friendly(nice red-haired woman RO). Finished late and went for ICECREAM with Berger and Fryes,(that is Michelle, Aaron ,Daniel, Jason, and Brian ) :supergrin:

19. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Had I been there I would have volunteered to help out. Topton is one of my favorite matches and always will be. I thank all the RO's that were there to help out, some there three days to assist in the set-ups. It's a thankless job.

20. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Well all in all it was a good weekend. My shooting wasn't up to par but that was my fault and I can live with it. It is a beautiful range and surrounding country side. Yep, there were a few problems but what match doesn't have a few. I better understand some of the problems now that I see the number of shooters and RO's to work the match. It certainly was a shame that they didn't have full club support but I APPLAUD the hard work of the few who worked their butts off trying to keep the match running. I helped out when I could. Next year we will see, not because of the problems this year but because of the traveling up from the Florida Pan Handle which doesn't allow much time to help.

Thank's to all who worked so hard to put on a good match.:beer: