close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Topton Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Aug 17, 2002.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Well, I'd rather be there shooting than here keyboarding. Topton is one of my favorite ranges. I really miss not being there this year. Someone please drink an ice cold sugar free Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer for me. I wish the best to my Sidearmor Teammates, listed in alphabetical order:

Dan Cignarale
    Frank Koo
    Rodney Leeber
    Michael McGinnes
    Debbie Nosse
    Marc Tarabour
    Russel Tarabour

I hope everyone shoots their personal best today!
    -The Coach-

2. on target

on target

Russ had one for lunch but with the sugar LOL

Just walked in the house its 4:30 p.m. We got there at 9:30 that's an hour later than we usually do but still not sure why it took till 1:45 to finish shooting. They kept the score sheets on the top but it was just busy. Great to see Rod, Andy, Dan, Frank, Joe and others. Hot day again and very sunny and humid. I had my worst plate rack ever and 4 D's on 5 to Glock. Sorry we had to miss the dinner tonight.

3. DannyR

Marc,

Sounds like last year's weather all over again.
    -danny

4. G23CT

G23CT Miembro Señor

Beautiful day on the range. Really busy - I got there at 11 and didn't shoot until 1400. Then I was done by 1430. I need to win a Glock so I can shoot MajorSub or something.

You know me--I've got to complain about something. I couldn't find my Glock Report last night, so I printed the map. That map on gssfonline is just the pits though--right down to the "old" PA highway numbering and the wrong highway signage (Fogelsville is 100 North, a different town is on the correct South exit). I got to Topton but came out on State St in a different place. Drove around town for like 30 minutes. Don't they have any straight roads in PA? ;f

Definately didn't shoot as well as in Nashua, but a lot better than I did 2 years ago in Topton.

5. G23CT

G23CT Miembro Señor

I'll balance another complaint with a big plus. ;)

I don't know who the jackass is that was doing the "safety" demonstration next to the registration shed, but I really don't care what color the frame is of the gun that you point at my head. ;t

But I did get Mepros installed on my 23 (I shoot the match with a GSSF 17) for $50.

6. statsman

statsman

Well I just dragged my ... in - 2.5 hour drive after working and shooting all day [ everything hurts ]. Great Range - 3 copies of each stage - things seemed to run well - a little confusion at the plates [ my fault ] which we corrected at lunch. Dave, Scott, and Bruce did a great job getting the ranges ready on Friday - Every range had cover and lots of water.

Thanks to Ray for the use of his model 22 - One of these days I HAVE to shoot a match with the same gun as the last match. Sorry no photos - I left my camera at the hotel and I forgot to download Frank's camera before I left [ pure brain fade ].

Take Care all

Statsman

7. Noah Gladstone

Noah Gladstone

Got back at 10:00pm. I RO the match on the 5 to Glock along with Ken, Kim from pistol people. We were so busy all day that we didnt get to shoot until all the competitors left. We were so tired it effected our shooting in a big way. I had my worst match of the year no top ten finish this time. I go back sunday for more RO duty. It looks like attendence will sent a new record.

8. on target

on target

G23CT That's Scott doing the raking of his colorful Glock. I saw him do it yesterday as I was walking by and I've seen him do it many times before I feel the same way you do, that is deplorable inexcusable behavior.

9. MrMunster

MrMunster

All I can say is that it was a safe match. If I had shot myself in the foot, however, I probably would have been happy that I finally hit something!

My score was absolutely horrid. Of course, with the Lewis system, I might end up smiling....

10. Bruce Warren

Bruce Warren Millennium Member

Hi all.
    What a surprise to find myself back in Topton again this weekend. I was there last weekend for the Topton pin and steel challenge. Got home Monday and on Thursday I got a call from my shooting partner, Steve, from Iowa asking if I wanted to go back for the Glock match. I might mention I live in Michigan. Friday morning I got home from work at 7:25 am and at 8:00 am we were on the road to Topton. Got to Topton about 7:00 pm and stopped in to see Randy Hollowbush (the Handgunner Custom Shop) so Steve could do a little horse-trading. We left with 2 new Glocks. One of them a 26 that Steve used on Saturday morning in the mini match.
    I want to compliment Bruce and all of the match staff for doing a wonderful job on Saturday. We got registered as soon as they opened. Started shooting right away and were finished by 11:30. We shopped the vendors and headed home. We got to Michigan about 11:30pm
    I saw Frank Koo who was RO’ing the first plate stage. I shot there too, but I was having so much fun, I forgot to watch my front sight. I went down in flames. I did pretty well on the field courses, I think. I was shooting 11’s clean and thought that was too slow so I sped up to the 9’s but started dropping C’s, so I slowed back down again. I’m not going to win any guns but I did better than I did at Indy.
    Saw the Team Sidearmor guys and talked to one of them but we didn’t stay long after we were done shooting so I didn’t get a chance to visit.
    3 stages of each event made for quick shooting for us. Things may have been a bit backed up later in the day but all the RO’s were doing a Great job keeping things going.
    I sure missed not meeting Danny Ryan there. I was counting on seeing him. Hey, Danny, drop me an email. I have a couple of questions for you.

11. Soylent Green

Soylent Green

I was standing there on Saturday morning during one of those demonstrations and I was not thrilled either. He explained that the pistol had no firing pin and showed us the magazine with the fake bullets, but I still was VERY uncomfortable. I kept moving more and more to the side as he kept pointing the "weapon" in the group's general direction. I do not see why he could not have taken us all over to one of the nearby safety zones and did the demonstration while pointing it at the safety zone target. This was my first GSSF match and that did not start me off with a good feeling about how things are run. I am sure the guy has a lot of experience, but that was no way to introduce GSSF matches to new people. It was almost as if it was a test to see if anybody would say anything. If it was, I failed. I should have talked to him afterwards and pointed out how alarming it was to have a Glock (even disabled and colored) pointed at you at your first match after hearing how much GSSF is about safety and fun for new shooters.

That being said... I thought all the RO's were helpful and friendly just like everyone said they would be. The #3 5 to Glock crew got me first and they were very patient and helpful. (maybe because no one else was in line after me ;f ) I shot very poorly overall, but strangely enough I did my best in the stage I had never practiced before, the Glock 'M. Overall, it was definitely worth it, and I encourage everyone to give it a try if you haven't already.

12. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

GlockMom and I shot on Sunday am and the best thing about the whole trip was all the people that we FINALLY got to meet IE Frank his friend (The lurker) Dave & Amy. Frank & Ruth.
    The only thing that got me was on Glock M where the ROs made a few Sunday morning changes that had you standing on the spot( orange paint and we all make mistakes some where in life) that you where to point your gun at in low ready and I said to the RO that somthing is wrong here ? and to make a long story short a lot of people had to reshoot that stage and that really messed up GlockMom cause she had a really bad run and I was not to far behind so we need to practice some more so we can shine a little brighter in Statesville.
    The weather was sunny & 90 with a nice Pa. breeze to keep you cool. Hope to see alot more of you GTers at Statesville. Here is a pic from Topton From Right to left, Sniper, GlockMom, Daniel & Aaron (my boys) ? not sure on the name in the white hat, Scott and Frank.

13. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

Hello There!

To all the wonderful people that were kind enough to pose for my picture taking at the match... THANK YOU!

The pictures are posted at the following link (Topton 2002 Photo Gallery):

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96635

Note: there are multiple pages so please be aware that you can click on each page number if you're looking for your particular picture.

It was nice meeting each of you!

Best regards,
    Frank

14. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

After looking at the tape at the Glock M you can see we where standing on the low ready orange mark and thoes that know me know I tape every match. Here is the pic so you know what I"m talking about.
    I would like to add that the ROs at this stage where VERY NICE about what happend and new that they had to find everybody before thay left so that they could reshoot the stage.
    Great job GSSF Sniper

15. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

Hi Bruce,

It was great to see you at the match and meeting your friend Steve. It sure was hot wasn't it?

Danny... Bruce's comment above reminded me how many people asked if you were at the match! We sure missed you.. and hopefully next year, we be able to enjoy your presence at Topton!

Regards,
    Frank

16. DannyR

Topton is one of my favorite ranges. If I were ever to leave Virginia, I would consider the Kutztown area in which to settle down.