close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Topton 2003 Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Aug 16, 2003.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Hope the weather is nice, because it's storming in SW VA.

2. murph2127

murph2127

The weather held out and the shooting went very well.

The gang at topton have a new bay up; they have 3 of each stage running plus a fun stage. If you are sitting on the fence you better hop off and come on down. Things ran very quickly all day, I don't think the wait for the plates exceeded 5 minutes all day.

Ted

3. on target

on target

Weather held up, rained like hell on the way home. Russ shot great I looked like a first timer, worst score ever, those D's will kill you for sure.

4. RowdyOne

RowdyOne Constant Lurker

Saturday was the first time I made it to Topton, and I will go back. Very nice setup! It rained during lunch, but then stopped.

A general GSSF question...

Do all of the matches take an hour for lunch? I don't remember them breaking for that long at West Hampton. that and I was next on one stage when they broke for lunch;)

5. nvrquit

nvrquit

Firstly, I can't offer a comparison to other GSSF matches, either at Topton or anywhere else, as this is the first GSSF match I've ever shot.

However, I do shoot in IDPA and have past history in smallbore and high-power rifle competition. I can say that the RO's and fellow competitiors alike were all very open and personable. The RO's and staff were helpfull and positive, in all, a very pleasant experience. No rain on Sunday, but the cooler/less humid conditions didn't show up either. That didn't seem to put any type of damper on the event though.

I shot my G20 and would prefer not to have to tell tales about how I performed. The G20 performed fine... me, well, I guess it would've been better had I had more than 20 rounds of trigger time with it before the match.

How is that 8" steel plates that close seem to be so easy to miss at times? And why does going from left to right appear to be more challenging than going from right to left? Also need to practice beyond 15 yds.;Q

Would I do another GSSF match? YES(heck, it's trigger time!!!)! It was also good to see some lady folk out shooting in competition. The shooting sports needs more of them, IMHO.

6. GJM89

GJM89

THe weather held out for us on Sunday. We arrived at approx. 0915 Hrs. and were completed by 1200 Hrs.. The sun was hiding at the begining and that with shooting under a tent made the iron sights hard to see with these tired old eyes (excuse number 43).Needless to say this was not a steller performance, but hey Statesville is right around the corner. The ROs did an excellent job, and I would especially like to thank the crew on the #2 set of plates who let the five members of the NJ Contingent finish before they broke for lunch,thanks again.Thanks to all, nice match.:) :) :)

7. murph2127

murph2127

You're welcome:) Y'all were a fun bunch to Ro.

Take care,

Ted

8. murph2127

murph2127

FWIW, that was the first time they did it at Topton and I for one loved it.

Having worked through lunch one year (they closed the kitchen by the time I got relief) and getting a 20 min break another year, I appreciated the down time. Makes for an easier day when you get some time off your feet.

As it was, we were way ahead of schedule. with over 300 entries we didn't have much of a backlog either day. And that is with the break.

Having run and worked many big matches, I thought it a thougtful touch on behalf of the MD when it came to the range help's well being.

Ted