Top 10 Dreams

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TexanRon, Jan 1, 2010.

1. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

As is usually the case at this time of year, lots of Top Ten Lists going around. Just read one that listed the Top 10 Dreams, which included the usual ones of flying, being in public in ones underwear, etc. Was wondering if any other gun owners have ever had one that I frequently have: nighttime, in bed, hear noise and get nightstand G23 in hand. BG comes into view and no matter how hard I squeeze trigger, pistol will not fire. Try and try to pull trigger......no discharge! Anybody else have this dream?

2. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

No, never.
    However sometimes I have a dream about the desert.
    My rifle is full of sand and I can't use it against incoming enemies.
    Damn...I'm sure that I was cleaning it just hour ago :supergrin:

3. dne752

dne752 Mad Catter

Where's the dream analyst when we need him?

4. Pecos Bill 1911

Pecos Bill 1911 Yippi-kai-yah!

I frequently experience bloody & graphic nocturnal firefights, after ingesting a whole large meatlovers pizza just right before bed! :tongueout:

Best Wishes! Pecos Bill out. :supergrin:

5. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

I used to have that one quite a bit. But it's been about a year or so since I've had it. As a matter of fact, the other night I had a dream where I shot an Iraqi insurgent in the face with my M9. So I guess I've gotten past the dream trigger-block. :dunno:

6. bogey3737

bogey3737 diablo azul

Haven't had that one in a while. Mine usually involve the creature from Alien and / or inadvertently missing a class until the last day of the semester.

7. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

I have very vivid dreams but because of a closed head injury I can never remember them more the 5 or ten minutes after I wake up.
    Regards
    DW

8. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

I had that dream for the first time about 3 weeks ago. This guy was trying to shoot me with a fa MP-5 or a UMP and I had my shot lined up as the bullets were flying around me and I went to pull the trigger and it wouldnt pull so I put both fingers on it and pulled it through and I couldn't land the shot to save my soul.

9. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

What do you think this incredibly-tight-dream-trigger thing means? Is it our subconscious mind questioning if we would have the stones to actually drop the hammer on a BG in real life?

10. fwm

fwm

Nope. My dreams usually consist of me and various family members in the Caribbean sailing, swimming and diving. I haven't had a 'bad' dream in 45 years or so when i was a teenager.

11. kcb

kcb Southern Lady

The one that I have had since I was a young girl...would be similar to that but without the gun....

There is someone after me and I can NOT scream! I go through the motions of screaming and this little wimpy air sound comes out.

It's a horrible dream!

OR one where I realize I need to lock the door, and just as I grab it to lock it, someone busts into my house through that door!

12. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

You're no different than anyone else, dreams have a very short half-life for everyone. Trying to recollect them is like trying to corral smoke.

I remember reading Freud, where he said that dreams are the Royal Road to the Subconscious, and I believe that; most of that other crap he came up with is 19th century hokum, along the lines of phrenology, but I digress... since reading that, I've paid attention to my dreams, and do believe them to be a safety relief valve, in that they keep us from going insane. One gets something in his head, and if he or she doesn't acknowledge it in some capacity, it manifests itself in our sleep. And not just problematic things, either, but whatever is occupying our minds at the moment.

A common denominator in all of my dreams is the universal factor of my travelling; I'm either on my way or stopped temporarily at some point in the middle of a journey. Does that have anything to do with my travelling a lot in my career? Perhaps, but it's also a metaphor, I think, about going through life.

Treasure your dreams, recall them if you can, or just try to capture the "hangover" that comes with them, you'll feel good for doing it.

13. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

It's a representation of someone feeling powerless or impotent against something. All dreams are symbolic, and the "Can't scream/Can't fire" type of dreams are of something that's on one's mind that the dreamer can't deal with alone, and either can't or don't want to seek help with something that's bothering them.

Both the scream and offensive fire are real life methods of offsetting/countering a threat or attack; a defense. However, they don't work against everything; you can't shoot your way out of unemployment or credit card bills, and you can't scream your way out of mortgage payments going up because of an ARM-type home loan, for instance. You can only endure, and enduring hurts. It's stressful, in fact, and it batters the spirit. And these things occupy our minds and demand acknowledgement, where they frequently come to the surface of our minds in the form of dreams and nightmares.

14. BEANCOUNTER

BEANCOUNTER Millennium Member

:therapy: Your Glock's failure to fire (FTF) nightmares are completely normal. They are nothing to worry about. Nothing at all. Everyone who owns a Glock has this very same nightmare.

But if your FTF dreams become too frequent or frightening, it might comfort you to know that in my 37 years in practice, I've found that no one who owns a H&K has ever had this terrible nightmare. :supergrin:

15. silentpoet

silentpoet

I once dreamed I ordered a small ice cream cone and got this tiny cone.

16. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

The doc switched me from Ambien to Sonata. I have some pretty wild dreams now.

17. arclight610

arclight610

I had this really wierd dream in middle school once. It was night time and my whole homeroom class and I were locked inside a Dick's Sporting Goods. However the Dick's had nothing but guns and ammo in it. All of a sudden a portion of the roof got ripped off and these glowing alien bug-pod things came in and started to attack us. I grabbed this lever action rifle of some sort, and a double barrel rifle and I instructed my classmates to grab weapons and ammo as well. The walls were stocked with ammo, however there was a catch. If you looked away from the ammo, the caliber on the box would change! I remember I was opened a box of ".464 ammo" (apparently that's what my lever action and double rifle was chambered for), loaded my rifles, and shot some aliens. However when I looked back at the ammo, not only had the box of ammo I was drawing from disappeared, but the ammo I was standing beside turned into a different type. But there was something else too. You could stick your empties back into the gun and fire them, but they wouldn't be as powerful as when they were new. Pretty cool huh? I guess thats what you get when you like guns and you play too much Half-Life. Also, isn't wierd that text seems to change in dreams when you look away from it and then look back at it. It never like stays the same. Same with clocks.

18. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I had this dream where I was eating this huge marshmallow and in the morning I couldn't find my pillow anywhere.:faint:

Of the dreams I can remember, I have the normal dreams.

19. 280Z

280Z

I dreamed I got car jacked last night.

I was sitting in my truck working out a deposit slip in front of an out of state bank when four bank robbers came out the side door a few feet away. They were getting closer to my truck and I was thinking I should lock the doors. I looked one of them in the eye and its like he could tell what I was thinking. I reached for the lock just as he opened my drivers side door and then the rear "suicide" door so I couldn't shut and latch it. My gun was unloaded and cased because I was out of state. They pulled me out of my truck and got in. I reached in and grabbed the keys out of the ignition and ran away. I called 911 on my cell phone and waited for the sheriff to come. As I was talking to the officers we rounded the corner where my truck had been. It was gone! I thought since I had the keys the bad guys would just get out and run or something. It was horrifying to lose my truck and my gun at the same time. Just as I was starting to look around another corner to see if I had the location wrong I woke up.

I was breathing fast and my heart rate was up. That is the closest I have come to a nightmare in a long time.

What was the most upsetting is not knowing for sure if I had the right location or if my truck was around the corner. :dunno:

20. Frozen_Tex

Frozen_Tex

:rofl:I actually LOL'd! After some medication I was one a few years ago I have the same issues as you. However 2 or so slices can do me in. Not cool cause I love spicy food and used to eat peppers like nobody's business...it's a tough habit to break. :crying:

I have to entirely disagree with this Freudian dream analysis. Maybe 50 years ago it would hold water but psychology today has pretty much discredited all of Freud's theories on dream analysis. The APA barely recognizes the Freudian Analytical school. I think there are only 3 or so institutions that still teach it in the world (Boston, Chicago, and I think California). The latest research into dreams concludes that they are the product of random nerves firing. Why we seem to dream about what is on our mind is still unknown. Possibly because the memory areas of the brain are still somewhat active from what we experienced that day. :dunno:

Now with that being said...good job on remembering what the old man said! Did you study him at all in school or just reading?

DO NOT LET HIM SWITCH YOU TO ROZEREM! I was on that for 3 or 4 days and thought my apartment was haunted by demons. Serious! I heard voices at night, saw faces in my room, and thought I saw shadow figures. One of the side affects was "vivid dreaming and hallucinations" and as soon as I stopped taking Rozerem it all stopped. Scared the hell out of me for a few nights.