Glock Talk banner

Took the plunge and Bday present to self: S&W Shield Plus Range Kit deal

1807 Views 45 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  J-Doo
Good day,

I waited a year after the Shield Plus came out, firing a rental at my range twice. Also, I don’t have one of the newer high capacity sub compacts. Here on GT people talked about the Shield Plus Bug Out Bag. I didn’t find that one at the store (I asked), but did find a similar deal: S&W Shield Plus Range Bag Kit.

For $499, I got the Shield Plus, a M&P range bag, hearing protection muffs, and eye protection glasses. Factoring in the $50 rebate S&W has right now, this means I paid about $400 for the actual pistol, if not less. The other items have to be worth over $50.

Rectangle Font Sunglasses Goggles Luggage and bags

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
7,835 Posts
Think you’ll like that little pistol. I had a Shield that I really liked, but had a buddy on a tight budget that need a carry piece so I cut him a deal. Got some eye protection from a S&W rep that came out to our training to try to sell us guns. If they’re the same ones, they’re decent glasses that wrap around the sides well to keep the guys brass next to you from falling just right into the side.

Enjoy that gun! I had some Hackathorn sights put on mine that worked out well too

· Registered
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think you’ll like that little pistol. I had a Shield that I really liked, but had a buddy on a tight budget that need a carry piece so I cut him a deal. Got some eye protection from a S&W rep that came out to our training to try to sell us guns. If they’re the same ones, they’re decent glasses that wrap around the sides well to keep the guys brass next to you from falling just right into the side.

Enjoy that gun! I had some Hackathorn sights put on mine that worked out well too
Yeah, I have the 1.0 in 9mm. It's been 100% reliable, no failures. The thing is a workhorse. I mentioned this on another thread, but I'll probably keep it as a reliable backup handgun. Shields are quality firearms, and I have trust in the S&W brand for the most part.

· Registered
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good deal. I keep telling myself I don't need one.

I don't need one... I don't need one ... Stop reading threads about Shield Plus deals... I don't need one ..

Happy shooting!
Haha, I hear you. But, you already got a 365 right? I barely justified it to myself, and I have none of the newfangled subs (until now).

Take that kit to the range!

Congrats!
I can't wait! I plan to use this to train a bit. I was using my Glock 19 for a lot of that and classes, due to higher cap. Some of the classes they wanted 10+. But, I wanted a smaller gun that met that and I could train with.

glad I’m not the only one. Last thing I need is another gun. Especially a small CCW gun.
Congrats. I have numbers of M&P’s, but no Shield sized ones. I went Ruger LC9s Pro and then Sig P365XL. I keep thinking about trying out the Plus though. It’s been calling to me lately.
M&P's are good guns overall. I was trying to decide between the 365's versus the Plus. I also like the 365's.

· Registered
2,517 Posts
The Shield Plus has proven to be an excellent choice. Estimated $400 for the pistol is a bargain, though in reality the bag, glasses and muffs are really worth $30-40. But still, cheaper than a 43x and you don't have to change out anything. Congrats!

Reactions: DoctorStrange

· Registered
5,691 Posts
Haha, I hear you. But, you already got a 365 right? I barely justified it to myself, and I have none of the newfangled subs (until now).
For you, that's a great purchase and I think you'll be very pleased to have that great carry gun option.

For me with my 365, and 365XL and Shield 9 2.0 and Shield 45 2.0 PC and, somewhere in the back of a safe never seeing the light of day, G26.3, I really don't need another subcompact. And yet, I keep looking at the Plus as well as at Shield .40s (there was a great deal on GunBroker last week for a ported 2.0 .40 with a 9mm conversion barrel and extra mags for both calibers. Thankfully, someone else bought it first!)

· Registered
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Shield Plus has proven to be an excellent choice. Estimated $400 for the pistol is a bargain, though in reality the bag, glasses and muffs are really worth $30-40. But still, cheaper than a 43x and you don't have to change out anything. Congrats!
Thanks! Yes, it's a good deal. Even $450 is a decent price for a modern, high capacity sub-compact. The Glock 42's there were going for about $425. 365's were $499 for the base model.

Walker ear muffs+ glasses: about $20 it looks like online
Walker's Pro-Low Profile Folding Earmuffs (NRR 22dB) Shootng Glasses (midwayusa.com)
Range bag: about $30 online.
M&P PRO TAC HANDGUN CASE DOUBLE : M & P M&P PRO TAC HANDGUN CASES | Brownells

· Registered
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
For you, that's a great purchase and I think you'll be very pleased to have that great carry gun option.

For me with my 365, and 365XL and Shield 9 2.0 and Shield 45 2.0 PC and, somewhere in the back of a safe never seeing the light of day, G26.3, I really don't need another subcompact. And yet, I keep looking at the Plus as well as at Shield .40s (there was a great deal on GunBroker last week for a ported 2.0 .40 with a 9mm conversion barrel and extra mags for both calibers. Thankfully, someone else bought it first!)
Nice selection you've got there! I'd love a .45 Shield, and have looked at those. A little over a year ago, at my LGS they had a rack of Shields in .40 for $350 I think, and I didn't grab one at the time.

· Banned
4,673 Posts
First, happy birthday!
Congratulations, the shield plus is a great piece!
You can get extra 13 round magazines at Smokey mountain knife works for twenty five bucks a piece if you want more.
I see you got the manual safety. The bug out bags are not available with that, so if that was a feature you wanted you definitely bought the right bag.
Btw, I did my rebate online, and it only took a week or so to get my card in the mail.

· NRA Life member
590 Posts
Good deal. I keep telling myself I don't need one.

I don't need one... I don't need one ... Stop reading threads about Shield Plus deals... I don't need one ..

Happy shooting!
Good luck with that. I resisted for a year saying the same thing. Then I encountered the bug out bag deal for $549 minus the rebate. A Shield plus with 5 magazines? Here, take my money. LOL

· Registered
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First, happy birthday!
Congratulations, the shield plus is a great piece!
You can get extra 13 round magazines at Smokey mountain knife works for twenty five bucks a piece if you want more.
I see you got the manual safety. The bug out bags are not available with that, so if that was a feature you wanted you definitely bought the right bag.
Btw, I did my rebate online, and it only took a week or so to get my card in the mail.
Thank you! Not going to lie, was it your bug out bag thread turned the tide for me ;). I knew I was going to get one of these new sub high compact 9's, and these two S&W combo deals were about as good as it gets price wise, especially with the rebate. I guess the Ruger and Taurus micro/sub 9's are cheaper, but frankly I don't like most of their service caliber semi-autos as much. Ruger revolvers? Absolutely.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.