GlockTalk Forum banner

161 - 180 of 273 Posts

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
I posted a picture a few weeks ago. Here's 23 hummingbirds of the broader flock. As I said, this is just one of (now) eight Grateful Gnome feeders.

I'm not much of a photographer. That's something I need to work on.

Thanks for the shot, it sure helps to get one's perspective. I'm sure your dealing with different hummer species and definetly a different climate and your more out in the boonies. As much as I have superb weather and a nice patio and garden, I still live in the city, although the west side of Cal-Train Tracks and also starting in the small hills. My hummers are most likely "Allen's" or next best guess is "Rufus". I don't think they migrate at least "Allen's" doesn't seem to from what I have read and my location on Peninsula in San Mateo County. Later.

Reactions: n2g

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #165 (Edited)
Well I live in a city type area in San Mateo County. Yesterday was hot but today even hotter. Right now it's 100 degrees in the shade, I know I have a little REI Temperature Gauge in the shady patio planter. So I brought in and cleaned the feeder hanging on the Shepperd's Hook and made up some new stuff and put it in the freezer, much later now it's in the fridge.

I also brought in the feeder hanging in the tree and it was hot even in the sparse shade. The metal base wasn't burning hot but I thought the mix was a bit hot, judgement call on my part and when I dumped the extra in the toilet it was hot on my hands but not painfully. So for the first time the cupboards are bare. I could put the original feeder on the tree right now but I'm holding off till the shade starts happening in an hour or so. Hummers gonna be a little confused and PO'd for awhile but hey that's life. Least when they get the goods the stuff will be chilled, both feeders.Later.

Edit/Add>>>Well it's 3:40pm Pac Time and it's 105 degrees. Won't cool down till after 5pm at least. I won't put out the feeders till their respective areas are in the shade. I rather doubt I'll make supper till after 8pm.

·
Registered
734 Posts
your more out in the boonies.
The "boonies"!!?? I'm offended!

JK. ;)

I lived in the Silicon Valley for almost 20 years and a Dallas suburb for over a decade. I was fortunate enough to retire to the mile-high outskirts of the three-million acre Gila National Forest at age 50. I discovered the majesty of hummingbirds a few years later. Now, I simply try to maintain this symbiotic relationship.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Here's a question for the experts (I am not one).

I've spent years feeding these magical creatures, but to be honest I hate making the nectar and cleaning the feeders.

There are many plants, both annual and perennial that hummers love. Wouldn't it be cheaper and better to just plant these ?
They love red bee balm. Very easy to grow, smell great. Also cardinal flowers.

·
Native Mainiac
20,430 Posts
The little buggers have headed south here. Was 51 degrees here this morning, supposed to be colder tonight. Haven't noticed any around the feeders today.

But I will leave the feeders up for a while in case there are some stragglers passing through on their way to warmer locals.

·
Native Mainiac
20,430 Posts
51 deg. here also. Still have hummers fighting for the feeders. Wasps hate the cool temps and are leaving the feeders alone. For some reason, the insect eating hummers are afraid of wasps.
Think that maybe it is more the length of the daylight hours that sends them away. They've been doing the commute for a while.

·
Georgia gal
1,142 Posts
Last week I thought some of mine had gone south, although I still saw several at a time, just not as many for a few days. But yesterday, as often lately, they were really swarming again so I don't know. I'm not sure if it's always the same group, or if some of them might be passing through. I think I do still have at least several regulars that have been here all the time. One is smaller than the others, and a few of them have their own personal guard post positions.

The other day a female cardinal dared to invade the hummer territory by landing on the deck railing, and they tried to chase her away.

In other news, at least twice I've seen one hovering and looking at the fountain in the glass birdbath, but I've still not seen one actually get in it or in the spray.

I refilled both feeders last night and will leave them up and filled for the next few months at least. They had really gone to work on the newer feeder so they are readily accepting both feeders now.

From what I've read in several sources FC is right that it is the length of daylight that prompts their migration, so leaving food out for the stragglers and travelers passing through is good.

Good thread, OP, for us hummer fans; thanks again.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
The little buggers have headed south here. Was 51 degrees here this morning, supposed to be colder tonight. Haven't noticed any around the feeders today.

But I will leave the feeders up for a while in case there are some stragglers passing through on their way to warmer locals.
Well that's the right thing to do, sure don't want a straggler on his/her last legs to finally make it to your feeder just to find it empty. Since this is my first year of hummer feeding I'm not sure if they will migrate or not. From what I have read it could very well be not. Most likely dealing with Allens hummingbirds, next guess would be Rufus hummingbirds.

Lots of very fine white smoke particles floating in the air, looks like regular overcast but I can see that stuff on the edges of the birdbath and somewhat in the water. However after the sun goes down and I step outside and shine a small flashlight you can easily see the small white particles floating in the air.

All the hummers here are still doing their thing, there might even be more than three now. Last night maybe an hour before sundown there was a lot of dog-fighting and it sure seemed like there was more than three of them. Temperatures should be anywhere from 70 to 100 thru October and lows probably no lower than 50-54 degrees.

I just cleaned and filled my two hummer feeders with 1 and a half cup water and 3/4 cup sugar each. I always micro the water then add the sugar stirring until clear, then I put in the freezer for an hour and a half and it's nicely chilled, I always test with a teaspoon before filling. I can't imagine any hummers hanging around in Maine a lot longer it's only the most northern state(Lower 48). Keep posting what's happening up there, later.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
51 deg. here also. Still have hummers fighting for the feeders. Wasps hate the cool temps and are leaving the feeders alone. For some reason, the insect eating hummers are afraid of wasps.
I have noticed a little of that as well, least I recently saw a little sidestepping by a hummer when a wasp/sweatbee was flying close. It could be that they just too big a bite to eat.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Well sometimes one of my experiments really works well. Location, location, location. I decided to use my recliner and back on the lower level but a little closer and a better angle.
IMGP0022.JPG
Yesterday Daisy May took a bath around 11:30am.

The sun was just starting to come out so I took the little solar fountain out and floated it into the birdbath, it was maybe around 11:20am. I've got my coffee, camera and binocs ready, let Operation "Splish-Splash" begin. Well it's 11:30am...wait there's a hummer, it's the male I can see his iridescent red spot, then zap, there's Daisy May chasing him away. She was in one of her perches that I couldn't see maybe up in that big willow tree. Well at least I know she's around. It's about 20 to noon and here comes Daisy May. I quickly turn my camera(already in hand) on and Daisy May is eyeballin' the fountain. There she goes, I snap a quick shot just to get one guaranteed. She's into it and I snap off a couple more, then zoomed a little for 3 more, here they are.
IMGP0015.JPG

IMGP0016.JPG

IMGP0017.JPG

IMGP0018.JPG

IMGP0019.JPG

IMGP0020.JPG

The above photos have not been edited at all. Sometime later I will take the best 2 or 3 and do a little editing like framing, cropping and a little zooming. i am like way happy. Football, what football.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Now for some edited shots, some are from the first time a couple weeks ago, they are here.
IMGP0029.JPG

IMGP0030.JPG

Look closely at her beak that curved thing is her tongue sticking out, is she drinking or just f***ing around?

Now for a couple shots from today that have been edited.
IMGP0023.JPG

IMGP0024.JPG

IMGP0026.JPG

OMG, I've missed the Sunday NFL games! Ohhhhh Noooooo!

·
Native Mainiac
20,430 Posts
Still have either some stragglers or passers-by here.

I saw two yesterday (morning and evening) and one today around lunch. It's not like I watch the feeders 24/7, but the numbers have really dropped off.

161 - 180 of 273 Posts