GlockTalk Forum banner

121 - 140 of 277 Posts

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Well I got my little $17 solar pump/fountain today. So I pretty much knew I'd hafta relocate the birdbath to get more sun, besides I think the other small birds will see it better anyway. Like I said, I never really got it for the hummers their only concern is the feeder.

I decided to relocate the birdbath late afternoon instead of tomorrow, that way I can see the action early on tomorrow. It was easy draining the birdbath and using a paper towel to clean the basin from any debris.

I had to make a spot for the birdbath on the otherside of the tree. I used a small whisk broom to push a whole bunch of wood chips away, and a hammer to kinda even things out a bit. No leveler, just eyeballin' things. I placed the birdbath in the new spot and stepped away a piece to see if it looked level, and sure enough it did. I then pounded in the 3 little metal stakes that came with the birdbath, and then 3 orange, tent stakes. I brushed all the chips back over the base.

Now time to see it it is really level. I brought out the water and filled it up and to see if the water poured early along the rim somewhere, it did not. Damn, I got a good eye for leveling for a 70 year old guy. I then plopped the little, floater, solar panel, pump/fountain into the birdbath. Now at this time it's almost dusk, but the little solar pump gurgled a little bit. The hummers don't seem to mind the furniture rearrangement one bit. Tomorrow should be a great time.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well that's it for now, I think I definetly worked up an appetite. Busy day for me, shower, shave, garbadge, recycle, go to the store(Burger, Buns, Beer, Waffle Fries, Regulat Fries) and then the birdbath relocation. Oh and the solar pump/fountain installation was so damn tough...NOT...PLOP...DONE. Have a nice evening.

·
Registered
9,048 Posts
We found that the diffuser nozzle on the pump dumps the water out of the bath pretty quick. Our best solution was just to remove it. It makes the water stream pretty large but it does not drain out too quick. We usually have to refill it once a day is all.

We finally saw a hummer today, just for a sec. I think we have way too much traffic in the yard for the hummers to relax. Between the chipmunk hunting cat, the grackles, the tons of loud sparrows and finches and the ******* bluejays, the hummers have decided to seek life elsewhere. Next year will be different !

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
Well I got up just a little after 9:00am, went to the bathroom to take a wiz...WTF...RUKM? I'm looking out the bathroom window and what do I see? Not just the fountain jet streaming about a foot or so high, but a hummingbird is hovering, darting in and out in like a 3 inch space.

Seems to me the hummer may have been sipping from the top of the spray, but most ceratinly having a very good time in the process. I'm stilling peeing, and I'm thinking, "Damn, now that was a KODAK MOMENT and I missed it".

Still, I saw that moment and I know what might be possible as far a great hummer action photo, so maybe someday I'll get a second chance(SHINEDOWN does that song and even tho that song is less than 5 years old, it's one of my alltime favorites).

Well minus the hummer, here are some shots of my new(working) solar powered fountain. Oh, and yes peng that little fountain does go thru some water for sure. For now I'm just gonna enjoy the show, but I will most definetly try and cut down on the water used, course the plants near it might object.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Well I got the new feeder and put it up. I got it for a backup in case the other one was broken or something. I already had the Shep-Hook as a PlanB in case the little tree didn't work out, but the tree did work and very well. I don't have a picture but a baby hummer was the first to use the new feeder, guess since it wasn't old it wasn't set in it's ways.

Finally getting hot here, was low 90s yesterday. It's humid today at around 65%, don't know how people living in Texas, Florida, or Louisiana can deal with really hot and humid weather. Normally we don't get a lot of humility even in our triple digit weather.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well have a nice summer, I won't be posting here anymore unless I get a really spectacular shot of a hummingbird.

Attachments

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Glad to see you are doing well with your outdoor pets. They are magical birds.

It's time for an indoor pet now. :D
Well we're just getting started with our hot weather in the Penninsula part of the SF Bay Area. Right now(3:12pm Pac) it's 102 degrees and it top out till 5:00pm and then it will be around 107.

I brought in the new feeder and stuck it in the fridge till the sun isn't shining in that area anymore. It was totally out in the sun, I touched the glass and I could feel the mix was heated up so there ya go.

I have the best disc for the fountain as far as water loss and it's not as windy today as yesterday, but that little fountain is really going thru the water. Had a lot of clouds rollin' in before noon and the fountain did a lot of spurts and gurgling.

Maybe around 5pm I'll put the new feeder back out and the mix will be chilled. Seems the older feeder is doing just fine and has enough shade so it won't get ridiculously hot. Sept. and Oct. are our "Indian Summer" months, high temps, slight or no breezes at all. Lucky for me the breezes, especially after 4pm flow right thru my apt. NE to SW, and during this weather a Godsend. I have lived here since 1997 so I know. Well that's all for now, thanks for stopping by. Later.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #130 (Edited)
If all else fails, try holding the feeder by hand ...

View attachment 811530
Actually things have been working out very well since day one. I found out about preference tho, the red and yellow was the first feeder bought, the predominantly blue one maybe a week later. Color doesn't matter, it location, location, location. Which ever feeder is in the small tree is the one favored.

Second day of high 90s heat. As the day went on I took the feeder that was on the Shep-Hook inside first to cool off it's contents by putting it in the fridge. Later I took that one out of the fridge and put it up in the tree and taking the other and putting it in the fridge. We only get about 3 weeks in total of mid 90s to low 100s a year. 70s and 80s most of the summer.

Nice feeder you have there. Seems you have a little more experience than me, but I'm learning fast and having a blast...heck I can even write poetry now.

My set-up: Pic taken at 7:17pm Pac-Time. No hummers just my set-up.
image.jpeg
Look close in the tree to spot the blue feeder. Also look for the birdbath it has a white Quartz rock in it, just for the evening tho as the solar fountain has been retired for the day, will be back in business in the morning.

image.jpeg

I'll be getting this in approx 2 weeks.
image.jpeg
Sure could use it now. From noon till about 5pm it's been too hot to be out in the patio, least when the temp is above 85 or so. I think the umbrella will help, we'll see.

Prime time for hummers, then just around 8:00pm it's what I call "Last Call" so "Belly Up To The Bar Boys"(Unsinkable Molly Brown). Thanks for stoppin' by and sharing your photo. Later.

PS: Well it had to happen sooner or later. I was very close to the feeder in the tree trying to get a shot(with iPad, so have to be close) during Prime Time. Well I got a shot alright, from above, caught my left eyebrow like a drop of rain. I looked above and on the wire above me was the main gal. Guess she was trying a new tactic to get me outa there during Prime Time. Score 1 for the hummer gal.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Well it's Saturday August 22nd 2020 and I did it, I got the shot I wanted to get. I spent a couple hours trying to get a close up not too far from the fountain but gave up. Hummers were feeding but playin' in the water. So I went down to the outdoor recliner to chill, drink my coffe and check my email. Not long after I catch somethin' happenin' at the birdbath/fountain and quickly get my little pocket PENTAX, turn it on and basically take a quick almost a blind shot so I would at least have something. She stuck around just enough for one good shot zoomed a little closer.

I had to download the mem card to iMac, then send the pics by email(to myself) to my iPad, then Camera Roll then to insert to GT Thread.

Just before I went to outdoor recliner
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What a great, fantastic day and it's only 1:39pm Pac-Time.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Dang it. Now I feel my hummers are neglected. They don't have a fountain. Good photo Cyber.
Well I don't know the logistics of your area but neither the birdbath(Approx $45) or the solar fountain($17 and 4 outa 5 stars with over 9,000 reviews)were very expensive. Once you get the fountain there's only one rule, don't let it be waterless and still in the sun sucking air. If it's just too hot and too much water is being used, I take a dry dishcloth for the palm of my hand and a black bandana, pick the pump up, blocking the sun in the process and cover it with the black bandana.

I really am surprised tho that other small birds have hardly used it, the hummers were a big surprise, playing, bathing, dancing, darting in and out of the top of the fountain stream. Ain't life grand.
image.jpeg

·
Senior Moment
6,098 Posts
Stopped at Tractor Supply and bought another feeder. Laid it carefully on the pickup seat and then tossed a bag of can cat food on it, breaking off one of the perches. Put it up yesterday evening and got customers immediately. There is a big battle going on this morning, with the boss bird trying to defend three feeders.
New feeder. Bird on perch. My photo skills suck.
DSCF0204.JPG

Old feeder.
DSCF0205.JPG

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Stopped at Tractor Supply and bought another feeder. Laid it carefully on the pickup seat and then tossed a bag of can cat food on it, breaking off one of the perches. Put it up yesterday evening and got customers immediately. There is a big battle going on this morning, with the boss bird trying to defend three feeders.
New feeder. Bird on perch. My photo skills suck.
View attachment 817830
Old feeder.
View attachment 817832
Well good for you and your hummingbirds of course. Looks like you'll need a little glue for that perch or just go with the three that are left. I am totally convinced hummers would rather perch and eat than hover and eat. Yes they can easily hover and eat but just to get a tad of relaxing while they eat seems to be preferred.

I made a rookie mistake the other day when I changed out and cleaned the feeders. The one with the red plastic base and yellow flowers with red perches was the one that I didn't get right when I hung it back up in the tree. As I'm sitting back in outdoor recliner I'm checking out a hummer who is at that feeder. As I'm looking thru the binocs I see the hummer seems a bit confused and isn't perching and feeding but hovering and somewhat feeding, kinda herky jerky. It was then I noticed the problem, the perches were way out of alignment with the flowers, very cockeyed. Well this required the hummer to either contort their neck and body while perched and feeding or just hover.

Well I decided to take action, mainly for the confusing part. I brought the feeder in and carefully unscrewed it over my large four cup Pyrex. I then just rinsed off the base parts and realigned the perches with the flowers and filled back up. Soon after hanging back up the hummer came, perched and fed without missing a beat. They always do quick checks intermittently to make sure they aren't surprise attacked by Daisy May, the little hummingbird that owns the territory. She doesn't do that constant checking as much when she feeds.

Just about this time yesterday little Daisy May came by and did the fountain thing, this time definetly bathing the water soaking her little belly, still she was still having fun in the process. I just observed with binocs that time, no picture attempt, course I was totally not prepared for a shot. I really enjoyed just watching her, splish splash, takin' a bath. Afterword a long preening session on one of the lines above my head in the patio.

As far as your pictures, the first has the problem with a dark background and the hummer is dark. In your second shot the background is white, the hummer dark, so a much better shot. You have a steady hand you just have to check your lighting if possible before shooting.

I'm gonna try a splash shot very soon, everything is right, Suns out, stream hitting high, just need little Daisy May to show up. I'm going to stake out quite a bit closer today, I'll be on the ground sitting on one of those little yoga/gym pads. My 70 year old body can't take sitting on cement like last time. Later.

·
Senior Moment
6,098 Posts
This morning looked like the Battle of Britain in the air above the feeders. About 15 hummers all battling for a spot at a feeder. I saw one disadvantage of using the perch. The perched bird is vulnerable to a side attack. Some use the perch and others just hover.

·
Registered
13,271 Posts
I caught a hummingbird in my hands few weeks ago. Wasn't difficult, it was stuck against a window at top of stairs at my apartment building.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
This morning looked like the Battle of Britain in the air above the feeders. About 15 hummers all battling for a spot at a feeder. I saw one disadvantage of using the perch. The perched bird is vulnerable to a side attack. Some use the perch and others just hover.
Well you have a lot more areial combat participants that my location has. Still I don't think it matters much pertaining to perching and attack. Some are young and learning what's ok and what's not.

Daisy May I'm sure had to learn a lot before she became the owner of her territory. I have watched the difference with her and then all others feeding. She's pretty casual, not so much with her head movement, yes some but not a constant checking of all things above and around like the others. She can't be there all the time tho and the others(Maybe two or three including one baby who seems to get somewhat of a free pass) manage to chow down.

Well I missed a splash shot this morning while sitting in outdoor recliner checking email and package shipment status for a few items. I saw her bathing/playing at the top of the fountain stream, I got my camera out but she had moved to the new location of the almost totally blue feeder that I had positioned on the non-right side of tree, just a bit lower in the branches than the other one. I took a great shot tho of her feeding at the blue feeder right after bath but it was taken from the PENTAX and has to be transferred. Here is my setup(Pic taken with iPad)
image.jpeg
and my view from my outdoor recliner.
image.jpeg

Look closely and see the blue feeder and how close it is to the fountain, could it be that's why Daisy May chose the blue one over her favorite? More experiments to follow, I have many lined up. I have to give Fullclip a lot of credit for my moving into the realm of the hummingbird. I'm getting up much earlier now maybe around 8am or so(Instead of 11am)and set up shop for taking pictures, listening to music on full over the ear, bluetooth headphones(Some major renovation a few houses over so kind of needed right now, but not always necessary) while checking email and GT. Life is good...cya

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I caught a hummingbird in my hands few weeks ago. Wasn't difficult, it was stuck against a window at top of stairs at my apartment building.
And then what happened? How was it stuck on the window and was it on the inside?

·
Registered
13,271 Posts
yeah it was on inside, several windows or openings at the landing but no glass. Only glass at top of the stairs. Common for birds to get stuck against the glass. Bugs come to the lights and birds come for the bugs. Most birds figure out how to get back out but the hummingbird was struggling with it.

Reactions: cyberghostx13
121 - 140 of 277 Posts