Took The Hummingbird Plunge Today-Help Appreciated(FNG)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cyberghostx13, Jul 30, 2020.

1. n2g

n2g

So glad things are going well for you and the hummers, and I hope you and Daisy Mae have a long friendship! Thanks for the advice on the binoculars. After I posted, I remembered that my daddy bought me this little funny-shaped thing that you use one eye to look through so I could see birds better way back when. Amazingly (as he passed away in 1974) I went right to it today. It helps a lot, but isn't as good as binoculars, of course, so I may still try to get a pair later.

I did make another hummingbird purchase this afternoon but I will tell about that after it comes.

Unfortunately I have some sad news...

You'll quickly know where this is going.
    Today when I was typing my earlier post, I heard something hit the patio door that opens onto my deck. I got up and looked to see if a bird had crashed and fallen, but didn't see anything and thought whatever it was must have been okay. Larger birds have done that before and just flown away. We had a high of about 95 degrees today, so I hadn't been back out since I had my coffee on the deck this morning, just watching from inside.

Around 6:00 pm I took some water to refill my backyard birdbath, and when I came back up I saw what had hit the glass. One of "my" little hummers was lying lifeless right at the doors but to the side of where I walked out. From where he was it appears he (or she) must have died instantly. He is just beautiful and this really makes me sad. I even cried a bit, although sometimes I don't cry when you might expect, and people always tell me how strong I am. My tears are rather unpredictable.

Anyway...
    I gave him a little mini-burial under one of those tiny little spruce trees that I bought for our little dog-child's grave one Christmas. My grandson planted it for me, and amazingly it has lived.

I think this hummer may have been one of the main aerial performers, because although a couple have been chasing each other this afternoon, there hasn't been quite as much combat or bickering over the feeder visible from inside. (Or maybe some have been to the new one?) This wasn't Tiny; I've seen him since, so one of the Chirpers or Flickers. I haven't tried to look up what kind he or she is. ??

I'm sure I was mostly crying for our loss of this beautiful little magnificent creature, because "Revelation 5:13." :hearts:

Here he or she is in the palm of my hand:

EDIT:
    I have removed the photo at the request of a private messenger. I apologize to anyone who was offended by the photo. I was simply amazed at his beauty and his tiny size, and how perfect he still looked. (There were no visible injuries at all.)

His feathers had the loveliest green color and sheen and he was probably only about two inches in length, not counting his bill. I have small hands, and he was so light I literally couldn't detect his weight. Everything about him was amazing.

(End edit.)
    _____

Pretty baby.

I wonder how many of "our" birds will safely make it back to us next year?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    FullClip, Inyo Tim and cyberghostx13 like this.
  2. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Very sad news indeed. When I had Rockie my African Grey Parrot(Soulmates, together 33 years) I had to "Window Train" Rockie as I do not believe in clipping a parrots wings for a human's convienience, for those people, get a poodle or a cat. I had to have Rockie in cage while I put masking tape on the windows in like big X's. That's just for starters, then I have Rockie on my shoulder and we lean into(Not on) the picture window, I make sure Rockie's beak touches it. Then I get some of Rockie's plush or rubber toys while Rockie still on my shoulder, and very close to window I bounce the toys off of it so Rockie could understand. Greys are some of the most intelligent animals on the planet and they have a lifespan of 50-75 years. Rockie learned real quick, Rockie was an "Ace" flyer for sure. Sometimes when I was watching a game(Rockie always out when I'm home except for sleep time) Rockie would sneak attack me flying thru my hair with the greatest of easy, I called it "Pearl Harboring" me. Some picsk image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Rockie(RIP 1/3/2016). I'm outside sitting in a nice outdoors recliner made of oak and canvas. Binoculars at the side, my iPad in my lap typing away. I'm about to make a charcoal grilled hamburger shortly. I cleaned and changed the oil on my feeder(Little Deep French Frier) today, something I put off from my very busy day yesterday, but not again, nope, no substitute Cheetos today. Well time to get the fire a goin', cya.

n2g likes this.

3. cyberghostx13

Well just as I was finished with the above post and start getting my smokey goin', I hear a buz right near where I'm sitting in my outdoors recliner which is not that close to the feeder. What the heck, I turn and look over she was looking at me, then turned and was looking at the can of PAM cooking spray, the same colors as the feeder. Funny thing is my grilling spray had just run our and it's a gray and red can, this was the first time I ever had a can of PAM out.

View from chair to feeder(distance) image.jpeg

My chair image.jpeg

A few feet away... image.jpeg

I knew she was used to me and I still think she's the same one that has come by many a time when I was grilling, way before I even thought of having a feeder. Well now I really hafta get supper a goin', bye. Oh sorry, no hummers in these shots, just wanted you to see the situation.

Inyo Tim and n2g like this.
  4. n2g

n2g

Rockie was beautiful. I'm sure you miss him, but he was blessed to have a good owner.

Enjoy your burger and Daisy Mae!

cyberghostx13 and Inyo Tim like this.
  5. peng

peng

It surprised me that hummers and bumblebees sound so much alike, I would often mistake one for the other before I saw them.

Even after if I'd been drinking.

n2g, Inyo Tim and cyberghostx13 like this.
  6. cyberghostx13

Hmmmm...I'm guessing that's why I turn my head in the direction that the humm is coming from and to quickly see it's source. Ifin' it's any kinda thing with a stinger on it, I'm am so gone, quickly but focused and just enough to give that bee/bumblebee/wasp/ hornet it's space, not a panic run.

I was stung very badly by large black and orange wasps while out on patrol with a squad of Marines(I CORPS AREA Vietnam 1968). I kinda tripped on a large bush/shrubbery, my helmet came off and I got stung a bunch. Instant, maximum pain, my head was gonna explode. I started running around screaming...the rest I was told later.

The squad guided me back to where the company was. Next I was sitting in a chair with two Navy Corpsman standing on either side of me. I was injected with a dose of morphine, a minute or so later another injection. Ahhhhhh, the pain had stopped, but was I loaded. The Corpsman then removed 7 stingers from my scalp, the only place I was stung. Obviously I was not allergic with all the venum I took, still it was the most pain ever in life, to this very day and I'm 70 years old. I haven't been stung since.

If I am buzzed, I see what it is very quickly, then react, not just freak out and run in a panic. "What it is" lately is a hummer but my first reaction to see the source is quick, but nowdays I'm looking a hummer in the eyes. FIRST is RELIEF. SECOND is AWE. THIRD is what a gutsy creature to be eyeballin' me at about a foot and a half away. One of nature's most beautiful and outstanding creatures. Will work for sugar water and bring you tons of joy, what a fantastic bargain. Later.

n2g, Caver 60 and Inyo Tim like this.
  7. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

A Hummingbird was trapped, or appeared to be trapped, in one of our small chlorine stations. 10' x 15' x 10' tall room. I opened a large roll-up door on one end but it would not fly out. So I caught it the way I do to my pet Doves when they don't want to go back to their cage; I turned off the lights, walked up and nabbed it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjGSkpIadyY

n2g, Inyo Tim and cyberghostx13 like this.
  8. cyberghostx13

Well nothing new, I have known for a long time that all the birds disappear for most of the day including the hummers. I now have come to the conclusion that cloudy days are a big exception. It was cloudy on Wednesday and every time I was at the feeder(several times) the hummer showed up within a minute. Other birds around as well. Further investigation is needed, but today has been nice and sunny and no birds including hummers. No surprise, but now I know cloudy days mean more action for me.

I'm trying an experiment with the birdbath and I put one of Rockie's rocks used to perch on, it's the only one I kept after Rockie has passed on 1/3/2016. I scrubbed it thoroughly with Dawn dish soap and rinsed thoroughly as well. I have no clue whether it will attract or not. But that's why I put it in the middle of the bath so well just have to see. image.jpeg

n2g, Inyo Tim and Caver 60 like this.
  9. cyberghostx13

Well I made my supper(grilled burger, fries, cheese, and salad) a little earlier tonight so I can sit in that nice oak outdoor recliner almost under the stairway. It's around 7pm(Pac-Time), I have a full stomach and just CHILLIN' in the chair with my CANON IS 15x50 Binocs, waiting for the hummer action. Hummer showed up soon after but then...clomp, clomp, clomp...behind and over my head. It's my neighbor who lives above and to the right of my patio.

I thought she had come down to do her laundry, nope, she came down to admire the hummingbird feeder and the birdbath, she loved them, quite impressed, but here's the real corker, she thought our landlord had put the feeder up and the fountain as well(He's a real square guy with a conscience) but as the conversation progressed, she realized I had put them up. Now she was really impressed. We are ok been neighbors for over 20 years but she is not a sports person and we found out inadvertently many years ago we disagree on politics. We never ever speak politics.

Well after a little conversation she leaves and I get to watching the hummers. She is coming around and drinking big gulps. It's almost 8pm and I think it's like "Last Call"..."Belly Up To The Bar Boys"(Unsinkable Molly Brown). I can still see the feeder very well from my outdoor recliner. Earlier I spotted an ant on the feeder as I watching the hummer feed, I thought she may just pick the little ant up, a quick bite, but no. That recliner is at least 25-30 feet away.

Feeding intensifies as Last Call goes on. She drinks big gulps, but another hummer is flying underneath the feeder, they meet, they zig, they zag, and they buzz off whirling in a little dogfight. Not too long after, the other hummer returned and was drinking with head on swivel, zap, he just sped off, no hummer buzzed him. Now I could really appreciate being outside instead of behind the screen door in the apt. That maybe ok for the daytime but at dusk that screen is a problem. Now that I am outside with a great pair of binocs, sitting comfortably in a chair, I can see the hummer at the feeder no problem. She's steadily drinking big gulps like on an assembly line, then she takes off, it's almost dark, it's 8:25pm and Last Call is over, I'm gonna go watch a movie. Goodnight.

Caver 60, n2g and Inyo Tim like this.
  10. peng

peng

Chicks dig hummingbirds bro.

11. peng

peng

You seem to have some pretty tame birdies, try feeding them by hand. It's cool when they sit in your palm and chirp at you. They are trusting little critters.

I used to use a red bottle cap filled with nectar and wear a red tshirt if you have one. Just raise your hand or set it on something and sooner or later you will get a customer. You will be astounded that this bird weighs literally nothing.

12. Caver 60

Caver 60

When you get into hummingbird feeding early next year, they will eat you out of house and home starting in late July until they leave. I've gone thru 10 pounds of sugar in the last 12 days. And it's very demanding keeping up with them. You'll need extra feeders so you can clean and refill one while they are emptying the other one.

You don't want them to them run out of juice. You can't even go on a week long vacation. Be careful what you're getting into.

FullClip, cyberghostx13 and n2g like this.
  13. cyberghostx13

Remember where I live near this city image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My patio and beyond, all the rest are houses on the hill. I'm also at the end of a dead end circle, it's a great area and only three seasons. Rarely to we get temps below freezing. There is reasons why I have lived here since 1997, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. And having a very nice landlord with a good conscience and just a nice person.

image.jpeg

My patio on a rare cloudy day(Last Wedenesday) in August. Our hottest months are usually September and October with temps getting in the high 90s and even in the 100s, and it's the dry heat, nary any breezes, it's our Indian Summer.

image.jpeg

My feeder is pretty secluded. Now I know birds fly and check things out but I imagine there are a lot of feeders in the area, but it's hard to see them with all the fences, many really large trees(Including some redwoods), and being hilly as well.

I believe many hummingbirds stay year round, although I'm certain there are many that migrate. Guess I'll just have to play by ear and wait and see.

Growing up in Northern Illinois in the 50s, I remember my mom would throw bread slices out into the snow in our backyard. My mom just said that many birds stick around for the winter but it's pretty tough sometimes for them. I remember seeing Robins eating the bread slices, and one time I even saw a beautiful brilliant RED Cardinal. Totally white backyard with a bright red Cardinal in it eating a slice of bread, what a sight.

Well my theory about cloudy days being better hummer days is slowly crumbling away. I got up around 9am and cleaned and changed the feeder. I stuck to the 1:4 ratio but lessened the amount by about half. 1/4 Cup Sugar to 1 Cup Water. I mean I have been throwing away a lot of mixture with just two hummers that I have seen so far, and the amount left after 3 days is quite a bit. I will most certainly ajust as needed. Anyway before 10am I was buzzed again while just checking the bath as I had already done the clean/feed thing. So 3 times seeing hummers already.

I'm retired living in a nice space on planet earth, and interacting with one of God's greatest gifts to man(Other than dogs,...and ok even domestic cats). "Ain't life grand"(Gene Hackman in Bonnie and Clyde). Have a super-duper day as I sure am. Later.

Inyo Tim and Caver 60 like this.
  14. Caver 60

Caver 60

I keep birdseed feeders out in the winter. I take them away from April until about November. I don't want bears coming around. Instead of buying the expensive commercial bird seed, I just feed black oil sunflower seeds purchased in 50 pound bags from my local farm feed store. I have lots of birds during the winter.

And I love living where I live also. I had traveled over most of the US while in the Air Force, and could have retired any place I wanted to. We've never regretted the choice to live here. Nothing like God's great outdoors. And in my case, the great underground. (Re; my screen name.)

My wife was a city girl when we married over 50 years ago. But now we have to go to the city for one of her numerous doctors appointments a couple times a month. But when we leave the city driving back home, she always says: "I'm sure glad we don't live in the city".

And I also love tending my cattle during the year.

n2g, cyberghostx13 and Inyo Tim like this.
  15. cyberghostx13

Well it's starting to get to prime time as far as my feeder is concerned, it's about 5:28pm now(Pacific Time) and just a few minutes ago I went right by the feeder with my iPad camera on and ready to take a picture. I waited for maybe 5 minutes and finally one came around. It had a red throat and it sure wasn't the female.

The sun is over and behind my right shoulder so that's great but still when looking at iPad screen it's hard to see just what your going to photograph. He cooperated pretty good hovering while I snapped some shots. Not too bad, but no good shot of the throat. Still, at least he had no problem with my iPad less than a foot and a half away. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well that's it. Not too bad considering, the hummer sure did his job, it's just hard to sight picture with a screen you can hardly see, just point, shoot and hope. Later.

Caver 60 likes this.
  16. cyberghostx13

Well I'm sitting in the outdoor recliner and watching the feeder on and off. I see a small blackish bird swoop down to the birdbath, finally we have a taker. Sitting down tho I could only see the bird's head, as I stood up slowly the bird flew off. I don't think I scared the bird as the bath is at least 25 feet away. Well it's nice to know that the birdbath will attract birds. In the next few months it's gonna get hot somI think the birdbath will be quite popular eventually.

image.jpeg

Pic taken just now, standing up from outdoor recliner just to show distance to birdbath.

Added to post just a minute or so after the above. Two more birds went to the birdbath at different times but I was able to stand up and watch threw my binocs. No bathing just drinking, still the word is spreading around and the big white piece of Quartz rock is no problem. Gosh, all my experiments are working. Hot Damn!

n2g likes this.
  17. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I did a bit of research before deciding where to put my bird bath. The birds like it best where there is no cover beneath it for predators to hide. A spot on open ground in the shade is where I ended up placing it Never see any hummers using it. Too deep I think.

n2g and cyberghostx13 like this.
  18. cyberghostx13

Well I think I have placed my birdbath in a pretty good spot. It's in spotty shade thru-out the day from the little tree. It's fairly clear around the base, then there's the fence behind it. I also think the three or four birds that used the birdbath(Drinking not bathing, but it's getting to be almost dusk) did a little scouting the bath before landing in it from a lower branch of the tree. Some birds have scoped the bath from the fence top.

I tried something a little different during "Last Call" tonight. I put my binocs down, got up from the recliner, and slowly walked right up to the feeder. Even tho it's almost 8:15pm I can see the feeder very well up close. I wanted to see if the female or the male that I saw in "Last Call" yesterday evening would feed as I'm standing still, nothing in hand.

Maybe a minute went by and a hummer came hovering by and looking me in the eye, I didn't move and the hummer went to feeding. But wait, this was not the female or male from the evening before, this hummer was half their size. Hot damn, a f***ing baby hummer, SHOWING NO FEAR! OUTF***INGSTANDING! Another great evening, spent with nature, having a blast. What live TV sports, who f***ing cares. Later.

19. peng

peng

Here's a few of my better pics of these magical birds from years ago.

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

Caver 60, n2g, cyberghostx13 and 2 others like this.
  20. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

Can the little birds crack open sunflower seeds? I know the dove love them, but I've never seen any of the little guys trying to eat them.

Caver 60, FullClip and cyberghostx13 like this.