Took The Hummingbird Plunge Today-Help Appreciated(FNG)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cyberghostx13, Jul 30, 2020.

1. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well pretty much a patient guy and way back when I decided to get my first computer(1997-1999?) to use the Internet I made a bargain with myself. If I get that computer and no schooling or education on one(TV Generation) I will step away from the computer before I even get close to frustration, it worked out well. Still haven't had a cigarette since last October 10th, so I am still keeping that promise.

Well I put the feeder up at around 3:30pm on Saturday, I saw nothing till 7:05pm(Monday) tonight, just as I was getting ready to grill my steak. Most of the previous hummer action seems to always happen at suppertime, a couple hours before the sun sets. She came back again at 7:30pm, I was inside and saw her thru my back screendoor with my binocs. Sure as shootin' she's a female, medium sized, brown with a fairly long beak. Made a final appearance at 7:46pm, she's liking it. Well thanks for your help in this operation "Hummmer".

Oh ya, earlier today I was checking out the feeder and found a small unit of "Ant Recon" maybe around 20 or so at the top of the metal feeder. I eliminated all of that scouting party. There was no stream of ants. What I figured out was in my effort to have my feeder blend in it was too close to the leaves, some of them touching the feeder, they had a natural bridge. I situated the certain leaves so they didn't touch the feeder. Later.

n2g, FullClip, Caver 60 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Caver 60

Caver 60

My post 51 idea (trimming back nearby tree branches) has increased the number of birds I'm feeding. Before I was using almost a quart and a half of juice a day. Now it's up to almost 9 cups of juice a day. Lets say 8 cups a day to be conservative.

According to one source I've seen, 10 birds will drink 3 ounces a day. So using say 3 ounces a day for 10 birds, that's well over 200 birds a day I'm now feeding.

3. cyberghostx13

Well I got the birdbath maybe a half hour ago, put it together, cleaned the actual bath part and placed near the tree. The three little stakes that came with it aren't near enough to hold it. I got three more stakes that are orange camping stakes better suited for the job. After that I covered back the base with the wood chips I had swept out for the base. I brought out some water in a plastic bottle(it took two) to fill it up all the way.

While I was finishing my head was right under the feeder. Well then I heard a buzzing sound right over my left ear, sure enough the hummer was humming over my head. I looked at the hummer and left her to her new territory. It was only 4:15pm not really hummer time in my patio area, least from my experience.

I'm sure anxious to see when the bath starts getting used. There are a lot of cool little birds in the area that I think will be using the bath. Not a green one like I ordered but that's ok, the bronzish-copper blends in real good. The Hummer Resort and Spa is now open.

I did get wounded on my little op, rose bush scratched the sh** out of my knee right thru my scrubs and bleeding, happened while I was taking the pictures. "Ain't life grand.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

CYA LATER.

Attached Files:

FullClip, flyover, Caver 60 and 2 others like this.
  4. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

Nice job cyber. Hope you get some songbirds.

rugercat78, n2g, FullClip and 2 others like this.
  5. cyberghostx13

Well lots of action(5:30pm) as I was trying to take this picture image.jpeg from just outside my backdoor. Some small birds flying around the tree and seem to be checking out the birdbath. image.jpeg At the same time a hummer was at the feeder, then another hummer and they both tore off. Wow, as I'm typeing another hummer is flying and hovering around the bath checking it out. Other small birds as well, looks like I may have struck gold with the addition of the birdbath. Later.

n2g, FullClip, flyover and 2 others like this.
  6. peng

peng

We have that exact same birdbath.

We found a little solar powered fountain that floats in the bath and sprays water pretty high. The birds seem to like it, no hummers though.

7. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I bought my concrete birdbath at Home Depot. Two piece; pedestal and bath itself. I was trying to level it out one day and dropped the bath part right on my toes. One big toe took the brunt of it and was smashed pretty flat. The bath part sits on the ground now.

FullClip, flyover and cyberghostx13 like this.
  8. cyberghostx13

Well my birdbath is total plastic and only cost $40. You can fill the stem with stones or sand but I didn't. It came with three skinny spikes maybe 7" long. I pounded them is but the bath still didn't seem that stable, and it was kinda windy today. I went to my bedroom closet to search for some orange, plastic tent stakes and after several years of them in there kinda buried, I actually found three, enough to get the job done.

What a day it's been with so much happening. Earlier I saw a hummer or two check out the bath and a few other small birds as well, but no one has taken the plunge yet, maybe tomorrow. I'm going to change out the food tomorrow and go with the 1-4 ratio, but I won't fill it up maybe just halfway or even less.

Lots of action by a few hummers today, I'm guessing around 4 or 5. As it was getting to be dusk I actually went out just to check the feeder and the bath. I didn't need to at all, my real purpose was to get the hummer watching me from a line above to see me come out the door walk slowly underneath her and to the feeder. I then walked back still under her watchful eye, into my apt. In that whole process I talked and whistled softly and waved my hand, all stuff I had done way before the feeder.

I watched feeding and some chasing up until around 8:20pm when the last feed was observed, heck it was almost dark by then. When hummers do perch in surrounding area their little heads are on a swivel back and forth about every second or so. I am very sorry about your big toe being smashed, hopefully no bones were broken, as fixing broken toes is complicated to say the least. Well goodnight.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    n2g, FullClip, Caver 60 and 2 others like this.
  9. cyberghostx13

Well I'm gonna see how things work out with the birdbath, I only installed it around 3:30pm today. It's not green like I ordered but that's ok I think it blends in well, and even if is cheap it does't look cheap. I can't wait for tomorrow, especially the birdbath's full day of operation.

So tomorrow I'm gonna change the food, and I'm going to go with 1-4 ratio. So the feeder is glass and metal, what should I clean it with? A small brush was included to clean the little feeder openings, I also have some otner brushes as well. What I'm really concerned about is a proper cleaning as I don't wanna be a hummer killer. Later

n2g, Inyo Tim and Caver 60 like this.
  10. Caver 60

Caver 60

Pipe cleaners work well for the small openings. At least one company makes a brush designed for cleaning the feeder bottles. Not all supply places carry that brush.

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  11. cyberghostx13

Thanks for the pipe cleaner mention, hadn't thought about that, and I do have some in my art supplies. What info I'm really looking for tho is what liquid would clean the actual feeder(glass) and base(Plastic and Metal) so as not to cause any harm to the hummers? Later.

n2g and Caver 60 like this.
  12. cyberghostx13

Well shucks, darned ifin that post slipped by, then I saw your reference to post 51. Must really be something to see with all those hummers buzzing around, but geez, all that feeding, too much for me. I'll will be satisfied with the little Shangri-La that I put together outside my backdoor in the small patio.

I also bought a Sheppard's Hook as well just in case the small tree didn't work out. That Shep is in a little storage area all ready to go. I may put outside and have a feeder for the small fast birds that aren't hummers. Seems all the birds out behind my place "Have the need for speed", especially those blue(dark)and gold(Not quite)ones. Well thanks again for stopping by. Maybe a couple pictures of your feeders/trees next time. CYA.

13. cyberghostx13

(Pic of the area above my patio) image.jpeg

Well I got up around quarter to eight and started my busy day. It"s a really mellow morning, clouds/foggyish, temp around 63 degrees, very slight breeze. I get my laundry started and then get my coffee started, then hit the shower. I go out back to put clothes in dryer, but on the way I check the feeder for any ants and there were some. I found a leaf was touching the feeder, I fixed that. Next I checked the little moat at the top, it had a few ants, I stuck my finger in the moat and it was dry. Well It'll hafta wait beacuse I'm gonna clean the feeder and change the food real soon.

So I finish the laundry and it's time to clean and change the feeder and with the proper ratio of 1:4(Sugar to Water) for the liquid energy. I bring it all into the kitchen. I first make the mix up and then cool it off quickly in the freezer. Next I dump the contents(Old mix) in the sink, with soapy water and dishes in the sink. I run hot water and rinse the base, the little feeder part with holes, brushing thru the little holes. Finally I take the glass container and fill with some soapy dishwater and shake thoroughly. I then rinse it out with hot water very thoroughly, all items are set on the counter on clean paper towels.

Time to take the liquid energy out of the freezer, and use a spoonful to check for temp, just right. I have gotten the base ready to go. I now flip the container to fill with 2 cups mixture and it almost fills up. Now while still inverted(No I didn't flip the little hummer off) and holding with my left hand, I grab the base unit flip it over and screw it onto the glass, I then flip the whole shabang over setting it on the paper towels. Well it worked perfectly, hardly spilling a drop if that.

I fill a large shot glass with water, grab the hook and moat, then in my right hand I grab the glass. I walk out to the tree, set the shot glass on the edge of the birdbath, then I hung up the feeder. I hear buzzing and sure enough a small hummer was on my left about eye level and less than two feet away. I looked him(Seemed to have more coloring and a bit smaller then the original proprietor a female). I looked him in the eye and said, just a minute, I'm almost done. I then grabbed the shot glass and filled the little moat a couple feet above my head. No sooner had I started moving away the little hummer came back and started drinking a bunch.

Well it sure seems like the feeder is a hit, tons more action in my little patio. Now the question is how long before any birds will be using the birdbath? Who will be first, a hummer or a regular small bird?

I'm gonna try a little experiment right now. I just thought to take a picture of the tree, the feeder, and the birdbath right now under cloudy skies, then I thought maybe a hummer will come by and I'll actually have my iPad camera on and take a quick picture.

I'm back five minutes later and my experiment worked, hot diggety-dog!
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    Just the tree, feeder, and birdbath under cloudy skies as originally planned.

image.jpeg
    Finally, here's a shot of the little hummer hanging out on a line above. Look to the left and above the transformer on the telephone pole, he's right where two lines cross and make an X.

Well what a great day so far. Well I gotta have a little snack(Rice Krispie Treat(2) and a small bottle of Ensure along with my coffee, then it's off to the local grocery store to pick up some meat and beer. Later.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    n2g, FullClip, Caver 60 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I went out this morning and checked my two feeders. One hummer had claimed both feeders and was busy chasing off other trespassers. While he's chasing off one bird, another sees the chance to zoom in and get a drink. King hummer returns from one chase and then chases off the new guy. I don't know when he finds time to go bug hunting.

15. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Little bugger are gonna' drive me to the poor house.

When the heck did they change a bag of sugar from 5 pounds to 4?

I (and the birds) like the feeders with perches. If they can take a break from the aerial dog fights, they seem to enjoy sitting down for a minute to re-fuel.

16. cyberghostx13

Well it sure was a busy day. Laundry, Changing/Cleaning the Feeder, Garbage Day, shopping at the local grocery store, was gonna change the oil in my french fryer but postponed till tomorrow. Cheetos now instead of fries.

Well enough of that stuff. I figured out that the wind must have been responsible for emptying the little moat, no way the water evaporated that quick, it's not in the sun that much and the temps are in the low 60s. Might even sprinkle tomorrow. Weird weather for this time of year. I think warmer weather and more sunshine might get some bird action in the birdbath. No worries tho, I got my hummer action, besides lots of summer left.

I went outside a few minutes ago with my iPad to see if I could get another shot. Hummer came out and checked me out but she was gone as I snapped the shot. Probably full and used to me coming and going so she just decided to bail for awhile. Still since she started feeding their, everytime I have come out she is there a minute or so later.

Every time I go out there I do an ant-check, and did one this time, but I kinda lost track where I was and backed into the birdbath and half-soaked my right pants leg. Ahhhh, but you must focus grasshopper. Have a nice evening, bye.

Caver 60, n2g and Inyo Tim like this.
  17. Caver 60

Caver 60

Fairly common behavior.

We had one we called 'Old Grandad". He would sit on a nearby tree branch and wait for others to show up, then dive bomb them. That's another reason I cut the tree branches back.

For cyberghostx, I'm challenged by technology. I don't have a smartphone, (just a 20 buck Tracphone). About 15 years ago one of our sons gave us a digital camera.

I can take pictures with it, but I have to wait until our son visits to get the pictures out of the camera, and into our computer. So no hummingbird pictures for awhile.

n2g, cyberghostx13 and Inyo Tim like this.
  18. cyberghostx13

I am not a phone person whatsoever, but in society one must have a phone for work(I'm retired since late 2013), for banking, for credit card etc. My phone is a Sprint Flip-Phone maybe 15 years old. I use my iPad camera it's easy just turn on the app, focus, and snap the shot. Once the picture is in my photos it's a breeze to put a photo on GT...thanks GT(Russ P) it's a smooth operation.

I have a better camera(not a phone cam) but it takes too much to get it on GT. I'd have to put the photo into my iMac photos then email it to my iPad and post from there. The iPad takes great photos under non fancy circumstances, like it doesn't have zoom.

If you noticed on my last picture of my last set of 6 pictures, I point out the hummer on the wire above, just to the left of the transformer on the telephone pole. It's her territory and that's one of her OP(Observation Posts) she has others. How do I know this? Every time I go outside to do anything with the feeder, bath etc. in less than a minute she's buzzing very near, I hear her.

She can't do anything to me, but she does come close and look me in the eye. Kinda saying, "Yo dude, I got my eye on you". Since the feeder, every single time. There's many places for her to scout from, like all the bamboo, that brown leaved tree not far from the telephone pole, a lot of places. I do a 360 look around but unless she's on that line above I don't see her, yet moments later there she is. I'm sure she was the one kinda dancing with me last year as I grilled my supper. She was doing tricks and aerials in, above and around that place on the wire I took a picture of.

Now she knows me even better. She wasn't around when I took the feeder away today to clean and change the food(now at 1:4), however she was there moments after I set it back up, just a buzzin' away. She know's who her connection is for sure, and hey she "Can always get what she want's...and get what she needs"(Kinda Rolling Stones). Later.

19. n2g

n2g

Long hummingbird update:

Yesterday I received the new glass hummingbird feeder I ordered and the plate for my DIY hummer "bath." If you look at the feeders on amazon long enough without ordering, they must send you a "lightning special." I got the feeder for ~$21, a few dollars off.

I ordered a set of wheat straw (?) plates to try to make a little DIY hummer bath for my deck. I had looked at the hummer baths but none suited me for a deck, and these plates have a small rim and are the right depth. I'm using the pink one along with a few special rocks that one of my granddaughters brought me from some of their many travels. I have a regular concrete birdbath further back in my backyard that I enjoy watching, but I wanted a little one for "my" hummers. AFAIK, I've had no takers on the hummer bath, but I read they like to bathe at dawn. They also apparently like a little fountain, so will I be trying to buy one of those little solar ones next??

Yesterday I washed (for whoever asked, I use Dawn in warm water and rinse extra well) my new feeder and filled it with water to test for leaks. A good many reviews in all of this style feeder said theirs leaked, but mine only leaked one drop and then stopped. I filled it with 4:1, moved my first feeder to the other side of my deck, and hung the new one in the old place. I left it several hours, and the birds would fly up to it, hover, and then fly away. Sometimes they would sip but not perch. I bent some of the little perches down a little, because I read a review that said they had to do that on theirs, but they still wouldn't land on it.

So, I moved it to the other side (the side I can't see from my chair inside) and put the old one back. This morning, the first time I looked at the new feeder, it had a seated diner! :) They still seem to greatly prefer the old one, though, so far. I tried to get pictures with my phone; they aren't good quality at all but you get the idea. The sun was blazing bright.

If they use them equally, I won't see as many feeding unless I'm outside on the deck, but they chase each other around so much that I feel like sometimes they use up more food than they take in from the feeder. I thought two feeders would make it easier for them to share. So far, they are still enjoying chasing each other, though.

One (?) of them usually chirps when he flies to the feeder, so I've named him Chirper. The other one (?) I usually see often flicks his tail the whole time he's feeding, so I've named him Flicker. I can't always distinguish them, and there may be several Chirpers and Flickers for all I know. The third one I've seen is smaller than the other two, so I've named him (them?) Tiny. He doesn't visit as often as the other two (six, whatever...). I often see two at a time but I've seen three several times lately. One is sitting on the older feeder as I'm typing this.

I'm now thinking of ordering an inexpensive pair of binoculars to better see them when they fly and perch on a tree branch. I gave my hubby's good ones to one of my sons because "I'll never need them," of course.

It will be interesting to see which feeder runs out of food faster. The old one has a day or two head start, but not much. And the new one might leak a little; its base just snaps on. They each will hold four cups and that's what I make every time.

I'm using the included ant moat with a little cooking oil in it with the new feeder, and added the other hook that came with it to my first feeder. I haven't had an ant problem but decided to use it anyway. Both feeders are hanging under the eave on each side of my deck, and the "bath" is sitting on the railing near the older feeder.

@cyberghostx13
    I'm so glad "your" hummers found your place so quickly! I know you'll enjoy watching them and the other birds and critters, too. You have a lovely area for them.

I often think about the fact that God didn't have to make things beautiful in our eyes, but He did. Things could function the same without being beautiful to us. Anyway, hummingbirds are just little wonders!
    :hearts:

Pix:

View attachment 806040

hum bath.jpg

2 hummers.jpg

new feeder zoom.jpg

It's about 1:45 right now and they are having a party around the older feeder that I can see. :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    cyberghostx13, Inyo Tim and FullClip like this.
  20. cyberghostx13

Well things are looking pretty good there. Your feeder in very nice, kinda urn shaped, mine is egg shaped. I haven't had a leak problem, sure my first try was a little sloppy, but my second try in both aspects, cleaning and feeding/pouring went perfectly.

Now for the ants, my feeder had some recon ants(scouts) but no stream whatsoever. I figured out the problem, in my effort to have my feeder blend in(Plus my newness to these endevours) I put it to close to some leaves, they have been moved(bent or pushed, not removed). The second incedent was beacuse of the wind yesterday the little moat got emptied of water, no way the water evaporated that quickly. Today I checked early on and only two ants. Moat full, leaves distant, conclusion, those two were from yesterday. I will be diligent the ants will not win, no way they will beat this old Marine protecting his hummer gal and any others that show. I like your naming the hummers, I think I may call mine Daisy Mae.

Now as far as binoculars, I have had my fair share of them, most were better than average for sure. Several years ago I finally spent some big bucks and bought some high-end CANON 15x50 IS(Image Stabilization) Binoculars image.jpeg and they are worth every penny, especially as I get older. The biggest difference is the IS. System runs on 2 AA batteries and always a go, just push the button in the middle and green light goes on, focus using finger on the other hand. Watching wildlife is fantastic, and a full moon...WOW! IS keeps your picture from jumping around, hence more quality time when using them. That's what I meant by getting older, my arms get tired quicker. If you decide to get a pair of binocs, no matter what make sure you get a pair with IMAGE STABILIZATION. They don't have to be CANON, they don't have to be 15x50, but if you really want to enjoy birdwatching, well as far as I'm concerned they are the only game in town.

Finally, what a difference a day makes(No not the song by Esther Phillips). Yesterday it was weird weather for this area(25 Miles south of San Francisco) windy, totally cloudy, temp low to mid 60s. Today not a cloud in the sky, slight breeze, and the temp is 70 degrees. First thing I noticed was the hummer didn't show up this morning on my ant check. I kinda stalled a bit so maybe a couple minutes, I was about to leave and she showed up, basically to check out what was going on and gave a look, then buzzed off, no feeding whatsoever. Yesterday since I had my first cleaning and putting in new food at a 1:4 ratio, that I did around 10:00am or so. I must have been out several times(Mostly ant, moat, and leaf checks...windy day) and she has buzzing me in less than a minute every time. I also found out that she feeds almost till sundown(Not continuesly of course). I watched her sucking a whole bunch of "Kickapoo Joy Juice"(Lil Abner 1959/Color) down at 8:13pm. I was using binocs from inside my backdoor, a distance approx 20-25 feet and even with the low light I could see her doing last call. Have a fantastic day.

Inyo Tim and n2g like this.