Took The Hummingbird Plunge Today-Help Appreciated(FNG)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cyberghostx13, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I buy sunflower seeds for the Eurasian doves that come to feed. They have totally displaced the mourning and white wing dove that used to come. The skunks eat up any leftover sunflower seeds.

n2g and cyberghostx13 like this.
  2. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well we have a go on the little tree, the little branch will support the feeder. It's maybe half full but that's ok, I like the 2 cups to 1/3 ratio even if it doesn't fill it up. I'll be changing every couple days anyway so the liquid can't get bad. I used two Pyrex like this one. image.jpeg

Feeder close up maybe a foot away image.jpeg

Couple yards away image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    These above and below taken close to my backdoor
    image.jpeg

When inside my backdoor I'll use these, a perfect use for them and they are "Image Stabilizing"(Uses Battery). 15x50 image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Well let's just say the feeder went in operation around 4:15pm. Will any show up and use it later this afternoon or early evening? My bet in Vegas is yes, but it's a close bet. Am I excited, well let me speak Minnesotan, "Ya ya you betcha". Later.

rugercat78, n2g and Inyo Tim like this.

3. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

They come to my feeders at all daylight hours. Those bright colors should draw them in quick. Good luck.

rugercat78, n2g, Caver 60 and 2 others like this.
  4. cyberghostx13

Well ok, just as long as you keep the Methodists out(Mel Brooks's "Blazing Saddles"). It's ok, I was brought up Methodist.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    rugercat78, n2g and Inyo Tim like this.
  5. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

I bought a feeder a few months back for fun. We have a patio home with a crepe myrtle and everything else is potted plants. With a gift card, I bought one for $0.57. After we put it up in the one small tree, a hummingbird family built a nest just above it. We have really enjoyed the activity.

n2g, cyberghostx13 and Inyo Tim like this.
  6. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

+1

We have six feeders, each with five feeding ports. We're in the midst of monsoon season. We have thunderstorms every afternoon. When the hummingbirds sense the impending storm, we have one hummingbird at each port and five more hummingbirds swarming around each feeder waiting to feed. It's a wild, feeding frenzy.

n2g, Caver 60, FullClip and 2 others like this.
  7. cyberghostx13

Feeders image.jpeg have a big advantage over flowers, they are open all the time, course I don't think hummers be cruising at night, nope, home bagging Mrs. Hummer.

n2g, Inyo Tim and FullClip like this.
  8. cyberghostx13

Well I thought I'd add this little gem I found while gathering info, it's pretty cool.

image.gif

pittpa, Glockbug, rugercat78 and 3 others like this.
  9. cyberghostx13

Well to be honest I didn't think about this till after purchase and receiving the feeder, but it's USMC "Colors" all right. image.jpeg

Maybe I'll call it "Humm's Tavern" EST. 8/1/2020.

n2g likes this.
  10. cyberghostx13

Well check this out, I found this when searching hummers bathing image.gif
    look real close now. Apparently the dog somehow saved the hummer's life, least that's what is said below the picture(gif).

pittpa, FullClip and n2g like this.
  11. Caver 60

Caver 60

I had an interesting experience, yesterday.

I've mentioned that I'm putting out about 6 cups of juice a day now. But this year there has been one feeder that they just haven't been hitting as much as usual. Both feeders are still hanging in the same place I've been hanging them for decades.

However there is a large tree growing close to that one feeder, and it's been getting bigger over the years. I noticed that a tree limb has grown to within about 3 or 4 four feet of that feeder.

So yesterday, I cut that limb back about 8 feet away from the feeder.

Presto, today they are hitting that feeder like crazy. I'm probably going to have to fill the feeders more than once a day now. Juice is going down even faster, in both feeders.

12. kiser64

kiser64

We have these, as well as Fire Cracker, Red Hibiscus and wild flowers. They dig the red and orange flowers.

upload_2020-8-2_5-1-32.jpeg

We also have an Aloe that blooms once a year with orange flowers. It's right outside our bedroom window, so in the spring, we woke up to a couple hanging out on it in the mornings.

n2g, cyberghostx13 and Inyo Tim like this.
  13. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

cyber, any customers at the new feeder?

n2g and cyberghostx13 like this.
  14. cyberghostx13

Nope, not yet. I'm gonna change the food today or tomorrow, and I might switch to a branch way to the left of where the feeder is now. Much of the bird action(all birds) takes place by the bamboo, the tree with the brown leaves and the telephone pole and anywhere from around 4pm till maybe 7:30pm. Days are getting shorter. I have faith that they will show and it's a long time till winter. Later.

n2g and Caver 60 like this.
  15. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

We just pot/plant hummer friendly flowers by our livingroom window and watch the show. Get them all day long.

n2g, Inyo Tim and cyberghostx13 like this.
  16. cyberghostx13

Hmmm...maybe I'll get a little, mirrored, disco ball with some flashing, led lights for a little night time action, maybe call it "Studio Hummer 54". Have the wicked strong drink at 1 to 1 for a great night time buzz. JK.

However last week before I even had the feeder, two hummers were buzzing around the bamboo branches either playing a game of hide and seek or they were doing the "Hummer Salsa". Later.

n2g and Inyo Tim like this.
  17. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

Don't know if you have neighborhood cats, but I hang my feeders higher than a cat can easily jump. I make sure the area below the feeder is open so the hummers can keep an eye on the whiskered ones.

n2g, Caver 60 and cyberghostx13 like this.
  18. cyberghostx13

Well I was just fixing to go get my ole smoky started, and a hummer was drinkin' at the bar(7:05pm). I saw him(edit:Turned out to be a she)drinking and went back in to get my iPad to take a picture but then he(she)was gone. Didn't see him(Her)go, it might not have been the iPad that spooked him(Her)it very well could be he's(She's) protecting the little gold mine he(She) found in his(Her)territory. Maybe I won't have to change the location to the otherside of the little tree after all.

On another note I got a UPS notice, seems the bird bath will be arriving tomorrow, that's almost a week early. Later.

Well she came back again at 7:30pm and took a few sips. This time I watched from inside with binocs. Good sized female, brownish, with a fairly long beak. Came back again at 7:46pm and was really lapping it up. Fantastic!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  19. Caver 60

Caver 60

As I hinted in my post 51, I don't think they like things nearby, where another bird or other predator can ambush them without warning. Glad you got at least one. Hope for more.

cyberghostx13, n2g and Inyo Tim like this.
  20. Glockbug

Glockbug Essential Deplorable

I have some of the cigar plants. Hummers love them. They like plants with a tubular flower. Google hummingbird plants. If you plant them they will come.