Took The Hummingbird Plunge Today-Help Appreciated(FNG)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cyberghostx13, Jul 30, 2020.

1. n2g

n2g

Oh, goodness, I love that feeder and everything else! Mine is a plain-Jane clear plastic one with a red base. It holds about a quart and my hummers are now going through that much every week or so. I know I have at least three. They love sparring with each other, and you are right about them being gutsy. When I'm reading on my deck sometimes they will buzz around my head. I tell myself they're just saying hello but they may be saying something else entirely.

The standard ratio of plain white granulated sugar to boiled water is 1:4, which I use, but FullClip gives his the strong stuff and they seem to do fine with it. (Well, actually they are apparently addicted! LOL) Boiling kills germs and also gets rid of any chlorine in the water. I mix my sugar in while the water is coming to a boil, and then I just let it sit to cool. I only mix a quart at a time, but could do more and put it in the refrigerator.

I haven't had to change the food every few days, but I thoroughly clean the feeder every time I refill it. Mine is not in direct sun which probably helps it not go bad as quickly. Mine hangs from my wide soffit just past the railing on my back deck. I can see it through the glass doors from my chair.

I may have to order one like yours, though. It is gorgeous!

Hopefully your birds will find it quickly. Sometimes patience is needed at first. Mine seem to return year after year. Like Caver, I keep food out until they stop eating in the fall.

The birds will enjoy the bird bath, too. I love watching all "my" birds. If you have regular bird feeders, I've found that squirrels don't like safflower seeds. I like squirrels too but don't want to encourage them to get in my attic again.

I love your whole set-up. :hearts: Lucky little fellas there!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. Caver 60

Caver 60

For the Ruby throated ones, the adult male has a red throat. The female is plane Jane. And the male will be the one chasing the other birds away, most of the time.

You've got a lot more than three. I've heard that 10 birds will go through 3 ounces a day.

I found this on the net.

Q. How can I estimate how many hummingbirds I feed each day?

A. Hummingbird experts Nancy Newfield and Bob and Martha Sargent came up with a formula whereby you count the number of hummingbirds you see at one time at your feeders and multiply this number by six to determine how many birds are visiting your feeders. They arrived at this number based on years of banding and color-marking hummingbirds at feeders.

cyberghostx13 and n2g like this.

3. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Sad hummingbird story.
    I was sitting on my gunsmith's porch (You are expected to hang around and gossip for a while after a job.) watching his flock of hummingbirds, drinking at the feeders or just perching on skinny twigs.
    Across the road, a hawk sat on a telephone wire and watched the hummingbirds. Then he started to sidle down the wire, one talon at a time until he was directly opposite the favored perch branch. About three flaps and a long glide - POW, a shower of little green feathers and he returned to the telephone pole with his snack.

FullClip likes this.
  4. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

My wife makes the food for ours, we have about 12 feeders all on the same style poles you posted, except ours have double hooks. our cat loves laying by the window watching them. they will crash into the windows from time time lol!! I set my GoPro up out on one of the feeders one day and got some pretty cool up close video of them.

5. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

INTRODUCTION

We have six Grateful Gnome hummingbird feeders (purchased from Amazon),

(2) Blue Egg with Flowers (36 oz)
    (1) Large Red Egg with Flowers (36 oz)
    (1) Red Speckled Mushroom (26 oz)
    (1) Red and Orange Mushroom (32 oz) ... pictured below
    (1) Fiery Bell Tower (20 oz)

There are typically (on average) five hummingbirds at each feeder starting in mid-July.

QUALITY

The quality of the Grateful Gnome hummingbird feeders is excellent. The colors are vibrant. The glass is thick. The overall design is simple, yet effective. The red flower petals around each feeder port will fade, however, the hummingbirds are drawn to the colorful glass bulb, not the flower petals.

HAND-BLOWN GLASS?

These feeders may be considered "hand blown", however, I'm sure they're blown into a mold. The seam is visible. Don't expect to receive a seamless, mouth-blown glass bulb like you’d see at an arts and crafts fair. This doesn’t take away from the overall beauty of the Grateful Gnome hummingbird feeders. The mold is used to ensure uniformity, especially with respect to the glass threads. It’s my understanding glass can be blown into a mold and still be considered “hand blown”, so I’ll give Grateful Gnome the benefit of the doubt with respect to their product description. Just set your expectations accordingly.

FILLING FEEDERS (SIZE MATTERS)

I have to fill all six feeders every day. KNOW WHAT YOU’RE SIGNING UP FOR WHEN YOU BUY A HUMMINGBIRD FEEDER! I'd recommend buying the larger (in terms of volume) Grateful Gnome hummingbird feeders. Obviously, this way you'll have to fill the feeders less often.

NECTAR

I prepare the hummingbird nectar in a pair of 2 L (2000 mL) Pyrex Erlenmeyer flasks. I heat 1800 mL of filtered (reverse-osmosis) water to a near-boil (190oF ... I actually use a digital thermometer with an alarm). I add 450 mL of white cane sugar to each flask using a wide-mouth "spice" funnel. THE SUGAR MUST BE ADDED TO THE HOT WATER VERY SLOWLY AT FIRST AS THE WATER MAY BEGIN TO BOIL VIOLENTLY AND THERE’S VERY LITTLE HEAD SPACE IN THE FLASKS. I stir each flask with a wooden spoon to completely dissolve the sugar and allow them to cool. Once cool, I add a rubber stopper to each flask. The following morning, I disassemble, clean and fill all six feeders and prepare 4 L of nectar for the next day. I like preparing, storing and dispensing the nectar in the same container. The Pyrex flasks are easy to clean. Note: I store the flasks at room temperature since in my case, it’s only for one day. Nectar can be stored in a refrigerator for up to a week.

UNWANTED PESTS

There will be a wasp on the perch / base from time to time. However, the wasps don’t seem to enter the base through the feeding ports. Initially, I would find HUGE ants in the base of the feeders. However, I made “ant moats” using 1-1/2” copper pipe caps and haven't seen an ant since.

SUMMARY

Overall, I’m thrilled with my Grateful Gnome hummingbird feeders. The Grateful Gnome customer service is outstanding.

[​IMG]

6. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Wow, great story. Drunk and feeding animals is not a smart thing to do. It was late fall 1966 and I was staying at some friends of parents(Still living in Rockford, Illinois) in Escondido, California, I was 16. The people who I was staying with had a son who went to radio school with my brother(4 years older than me) they were cool parents(my guardians temporarily as I stayed with them) and they let all their son's USMC buddies hang out and sleep over if they wanted, even a small trailor was their. One of them was back from Vietnam and recovering from a shrapnel wound in the arm. My brother was back as well and a maybe two others.

That info kinda needed info to set the story up. The house had a coral down a kinda steep incline maybe 100 yards or so thru a lot of avacado trees. In the coral there were two horses Nickel and Penny. Nickel was my brother's he had bought before going to Vietnam.

Well all of us were drinking wine and feeling pretty good. My brother decides he want's to take a 100 bag of feed down to the coral. Normally you put that 100 Lb. bag in a wheelbarrel and run it down, or you could slap that bag over your shoulder and run it down....but not in the dark.

So my brother decides to drive on a little dirt road that's kinda at the side of the grove. I think he was driving a Plymouth Valiant. So he gets stuck as the little dirt road was muddy in places. We all went down to try to get that car out, pushing with the mud over our ankles. That didn't work so a pick-up truck was driven down and that got stuck as well. Everyone was drunk and laughing and totally covered in mud including yours truly. The wounded Marine even drove his 1963 Corvette convertible down, why beacuse he was drunk, he got stuck too. 3 vehicles got stuck in the mud and none retrieved that night. The horses got their 100 pound bag of feed which they didn't need yet.

We all walked back up that hill tired and muddy, went back in the house and started drinking again and laughing a whole lot. The next day a super wrecker/tow came out to the place and pulled out those vehicles out. What a night, never to be forgotten. Thanks for triggering that memory. Later.

7. norcalAF

norcalAF

We had a similarly opportunistic hawk, a Cooper's I think or a juvenile redtail, but his target was the flock of mourning doves that frequent the regular feeder. He flushed them up and one knocked itself out hitting the house. Quick as a wink the hawk snagged him and absconded over the fence to feast in the neighbors yard.

8. Dragline

Dragline

Don't use that red "nectar" crap they sell for hummers. It's bad for the birds and they couldn't care less what color the sugar water is anyway.
    And as previously stated, the 1/4 ratio of quarter cup sugar to one cup of water is correct.

9. First shot

First shot

My wife bought a feeder and some liquid that was highly recommended from our local farm co-op... Those little mini-rockets love it and are so cool to watch.. use the right stuff and they’ll find it....good luck OP....

10. cyberghostx13

Well living up the steep hill at the end of a dead end circle has some advantages like no rats and no flys. No mosquitos either for that matter, I haven't been bitten in decades. However I think we have some raccoons, but I haven't seen any in quite awhile. Over 15 years ago, I either woke up to pee or I heard somethin' out my bedroom window. I looked out and maybe 4 feet away, atop a wooden fence and at eye level there was mom raccoon with three youngins tagging along behind her. She looked me square in the eye for a moment and then just moved on, probably thinking no threat but no food. I'm not really worried about the feeder but I will have to keep an eye on the birdbath.

I'm already thinking ahead about the birdbath and the possibility of raccoons checking the bath out. The stem of the bath can be filled with water, but I might not use that option, least to begin with. If raccoons come to check out the bath(without extra water weight) they'll easily knock it over, then I'll know they are around. I also might make the soil around the base clear of debris, maybe add a little water and smooth out so I can see tracks. I'll get the feeder and the Steel Shep tomorrow. If they come early I may try to set up shop tomorrow, but it will have to be before 1:00pm. Later.

n2g and Inyo Tim like this.
  11. peng

peng

Put a couple stakes in the ground to secure the birdbath. It helps.

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  12. cyberghostx13

Thanks, but first I wanna leave the bath with no stabilizing factor like filling the stem with water. I don't think the wind will knock it over, so it's down to earthquakes or raccoons. If it's the former, I could have more to worry about then raccoons. I think the bath does come with stakes but not for sure. Bath won't arrive till maybe 10-13 of August. Gives me time to work out stuff with the feeder. If I can find a branch that will safely support a 20oz to 23oz feeder than I'll choose that, but my bet in Vegas is the Shep, the tree is still quite young. Thanks for your input.

13. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    A little bit of food coloring is good so you don’t see it in the sink and forget what it is and pour it down the drain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

Way back when I first started feeding hummers, I thought adding a little honey to the sugar water would be a treat for them. Not good for them at all. Only did it once and then checked on the web and found out it was a bad thing to do.

FullClip, n2g, Caver 60 and 1 other person like this.
  15. cyberghostx13

Well I may experiment a little with the ratio from regular to full(Clip) ratio, but that's it. Even if the hummers beg for Cheetos and PBR I won't give that stuff to them. Maybe some Wrigley's "Juicy Fruit" gum...JK.

FullClip, n2g and Inyo Tim like this.
  16. cyberghostx13

Well I got the feeder and the Shep. Feeder seems very nice and well built, but no instructions whatsoever. I would have expected at least simple instructions of putting it together properly but I got it. It has a string and this image.jpeg
    which I think is a little ant moat, but I don't get the string part, but like hey, I'll just "String Along"(I couldn't resist). I'm now going to boil water in micro and then do the ratio thing with the sugar. I'm going to try just hanging it on the tree first. I scouted the tree branches to see if any candidates from the young tree. If not I have lubricated the threads and assembled the Shep for Plan B.

n2g and Inyo Tim like this.
  17. cyberghostx13

Well that's the formula that I will start out with. 2 cups H2O with just a tad over 1/3 cup of sugar. I just boiled 2 cups in micro, then slowly added the sugar, pour some, stir some and mixed thoroughly, then I put the mixture in the freezer to quickly chill it. I'm trying hard to make sure all is a go before it's 5:00pm, it's 3:43pm now. Usually the little guys start coming around between 6 to 7pm or so. If they are filling up when I'm gonna start my grill to make burnt dogs, I might go to Plan B and do micro-dogs. Put hotdog in bun, wrap in paper towel and then about 15 seconds a side. Later.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  18. davethehiker

davethehiker

For years photographing hummingbirds was my thing.

Attached Files:

Klatch, rugercat78, n2g and 2 others like this.
  19. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

You’ll want to lightly coat the inside of the ant moat with vegetable oil. I use a Q-tip.

cyberghostx13 and Inyo Tim like this.
  20. DannyB

DannyB

You can put a feeder on each side of a large yard and they will fly back and forth doing their territorial thing. #9 skeet loads will work.
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    Ya'll know I'm kidding>>>>>>>>>>:cheers:

I think this is the first year I can remember when my wife didn't have a feeder up...Hummingbird that is. I buy black oil sunflower seed pretty regularly for the other bird feeders.