GlockTalk Forum banner

261 - 277 of 277 Posts

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
I’m also going to try this feeder for something different-
View attachment 897495
Well I thought about something like that for my kitchen window, but I worried some little hummer might crash into the window. Sure it wouldn't break the window but the little hummer might be dead.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
My total cost today for the birdbath, fountain, and the two bird feeders was $87.03. Not bad!

I’m excited for spring to get here!
Well I sure wish you well, hopefully you'll get some hummers that wanna have some fun.

My favorite splash shots were taken on th Marine Corps Birthday. At first it was kinda a bust with a couple buzzing chase aways, but the third time was a charm and I got these great shots, but how did the hummingbird know it was the Marine Corps Birthday?

A total of 4 different occasions but no hummer ever came back and splashed for awhile after doing the chase thing. November 10th(USMC Birthday) was a very special day indeed, my favorite hummer picture day. Semper-Fidelis

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well I sure wish you well, hopefully you'll get some hummers that wanna have some fun.
View attachment 897500

View attachment 897502

View attachment 897503

View attachment 897505

My favorite splash shots were taken on th Marine Corps Birthday. At first it was kinda a bust with a couple buzzing chase aways, but the third time was a charm and I got these great shots, but how did the hummingbird know it was the Marine Corps Birthday?
View attachment 897509

View attachment 897511

View attachment 897512

View attachment 897513

A total of 4 different occasions but no hummer ever came back and splashed for awhile after doing the chase thing. November 10th(USMC Birthday) was a very special day indeed, my favorite hummer picture day. Semper-Fidelis
Great pictures! I can’t wait!!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I get the 3/8 or 1/2" rebar at Loews and bend it in to the shepard's hook.

I also get out some permethrin the first time I put them up in the spring and use a little paint brush to paint the metal hook from the ground up to the hook for the feeder with permethrin to keep the ants and bugs out of it. I do the same on any other hooks or hangers I use for humming bird feeders.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well get the camera I have a Canon. It has two great elements(Among many others) Image Stabilization and a 40x Optical Zoom. It's also cheaper now at $399 with free shipping for Amazon Prime members View attachment 897479

The Canon SX740 HS. A new product from Canon. Oh ya, 20 plus pixels.

View attachment 897483 Later.

PS: It also has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, so with the proper phone, tablet, or computer along with the Canon app you can shoot the pics right into your device.
I talked with my brother that knows quite a bit about cameras and I’m thinking this is too complicated like you said. I don’t want to think that much to take pictures. So, your camera is looking better by the minute. I’m still going to do some looking into this but I’m thinking simple is better for me.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #270 (Edited)
I talked with my brother that knows quite a bit about cameras and I’m thinking this is too complicated like you said. I don’t want to think that much to take pictures. So, your camera is looking better by the minute. I’m still going to do some looking into this but I’m thinking simple is better for me.
Simpler and smaller and another thing I found out that makes it a ton better than my old camera. With the new one it will time itself out and the lens will retract after a minute of nothing, but here's the big deal, when it does that it remembers the exact focus and settings you previously had, like wow!

Also I opted for no view of a just taken shot and that makes things quicker as well. One thing tho if you get the camera package I did, pretend Canon batteries are a no go take my word for it. Canon batteries are expensive and you will get 1 with the camera but you have to have at least 2 batteries otherwise you'll have to wait 2 hours for the battery to charge. I would also suggest you date stamp your photos so you know when you took them. Later.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Well what birdbath did you get? I anchored mine down at the base with a few u-spikes. I have some very strong ones still in storage just in case. I also put in a nice white, quartz, rock that Rockie used to perch, it makes the bath look better and also keeps the fountain towards the center. Heck ya'd never know the bath was plastic.

Rockie liked to chill out in the bedroom windowsill and sometimes other critters were chilling' as well. Even tho Rockie had passed(1/3/2016) that rock remained in the window till this year when I got the birdbath.

I noticed in your stuff you have a top-feeder and the base looks very similar to the bases of my Pineapple and Cactus feeder, maybe made by the same company. When do you think hummingbirds will arrive in your area? Well you can at least set the birdbath up and give the fountain a try on a sunny day. Windy days you will be refilling the bath a lot. Later.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well what birdbath did you get? I anchored mine down at the base with a few u-spikes. I have some very strong ones still in storage just in case. I also put in a nice white, quartz, rock that Rockie used to perch, it makes the bath look better and also keeps the fountain towards the center. Heck ya'd never know the bath was plastic.

View attachment 898741

View attachment 898742

View attachment 898743

View attachment 898744

Rockie liked to chill out in the bedroom windowsill and sometimes other critters were chilling' as well. Even tho Rockie had passed(1/3/2016) that rock remained in the window till this year when I got the birdbath.

I noticed in your stuff you have a top-feeder and the base looks very similar to the bases of my Pineapple and Cactus feeder, maybe made by the same company. When do you think hummingbirds will arrive in your area? Well you can at least set the birdbath up and give the fountain a try on a sunny day. Windy days you will be refilling the bath a lot. Later.
Edit to Add- we won’t see hummers until spring when it starts warming up. We have mild winters but it’s still cold. I’m getting a head start on what I need. I can’t wait.
I got the bath that you suggested so I believe it’s the same as yours. I should have taken better pictures of the feeder-

7C6B3F08-6CDC-4D1F-A90A-CF9E66E4C60A.jpeg
4BE4ABA7-73D7-428E-B66A-43CCC6AEB7B4.jpeg

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Well, there was a mix up and I now have two fountains. Amazon told me to just keep it. My birdbath was suppose to be here today but it looks like tomorrow hopefully. I might order a second birdbath since I now have two fountains. Woohoo!
Nah, just try out the first fountain and bath and see how things go, until that point you can always use the second fountain as a spare. Glad your ao happy.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
My birdbath showed up today! Woohoo!!!!
I think the bowl on mine is different than yours cyberghost but the same company. Anyways, I like it. Now I’m ready for spring!

View attachment 899548
This bottom picture I just set it there to see how it looks.
View attachment 899549
Well it looks great. Take some time to get the right location(Keeping the hummers in mind) then spike it down with some strong U-spikes otherwise it'll get blown over in a strong wind. So when it get's sunny there take a pic with that solar fountain in action. Later.

261 - 277 of 277 Posts