Took The Hummingbird Plunge Today-Help Appreciated(FNG)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cyberghostx13, Jul 30, 2020.

1. cqb451

cqb451

Up in the mountains outside Cali, Colombia there is a plentiful and colorful species of hummingbird about the size of an adult Cardinal. There are swarms of them. The climate is conducive to all manner and form of tropical flora. These birds can be rather territorial and scrapping among them is something to behold and appears to be a favorite pastime. As my brother, who resides there, said of the birds - "they're a$$holes and enjoy fighting".

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  2. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well the new guy is back again today and doing the same thing, not perching and darting in an out grabbing quick sips. He doesn't care about me, I just snap away, each time he's there is almost 25 seconds more than enough time for several shots. I'm gonna call him Max. IMGP0009.JPG

IMGP0010.JPG

IMGP0014.JPG

IMGP0015.JPG

Below pics edited vvv
    IMGP0024.JPG

IMGP0025.JPG

IMGP0021.JPG

Well can't forget Daisy May, this shot taken a little earlier and edited as well.
    IMGP0020.JPG
    Well that's all folks, later. Temp 75 wind 1mph.

FullClip likes this.

3. peng

peng

I can't remember if you said - have you ID'd the species?

We only have Ruby Throats here, that male sure looks like one but the body is darker.

Great pictures. Of course you realize you need a zoom lens pretty soon. :p

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  4. cyberghostx13

Well that's down the road, I need a new iPad(9 yrs), a new iMac(9 yrs) and phone(Old sprint flip-phone 15+ yrs, but I'm not a phone person, just for tech or business like talking to my bank). I'm getting close to biking to Sprint/T-Mobile to check things out. I will get an iPhone, but I'm looking at screen size and camera specs. It may be if I get the phone first I may find I won't need an iPad too. I also have to take money out of another pension plan which I haven't done since 2013. So it's really a complex situation when talking about cameras. Later.

FullClip likes this.
  5. cyberghostx13

Well I have another feeder for back-up with two more very good ones on the way. This one is a 20 dollar special(total), and here is the first shot of the first taker. IMGP0043.JPG

Well seems that Flash wants to be the BHOC as he does a splish-splash for the second time. IMGP0051.JPG

IMGP0052.JPG

Below edited
    IMGP0062.JPG

IMGP0063.JPG

Daisy May really shows off, one of her best shots. IMGP0058.JPG

Edited below
    IMGP0066.JPG

Mystery hummer, pic taken at dusk on Wednesday 21st Oct. IMGP0061.JPG

Well that's it, have a great day.

flyover likes this.
  6. cyberghostx13

Well the weather is changing, it's getting cooler(high 60s) and cloudy. I did take advantage of the sun not being out so much by changing my location and getting much closer by going to the second level of patio. I f the sun was out my camera would be taking pictures of the sun... not good. I also thoroughly cleaned my kitchen window yesterday so I could check out taking pictures from inside. My first shot from inside was just supposed to be a test shot thru the kitchen window, I wasn't trying to take a picture of a hummer, just a test for glare and reflection. As I aimed the camera I realized a hummer was hovering between the two feeders so I quickly took a shot.
    IMGP0023.JPG
    Below edited
    IMGP0027.JPG
    Regular below

IMGP0012.JPG

IMGP0016.JPG

Below edited
    IMGP0025.JPG

IMGP0024.JPG
    Regular below IMGP0019.JPG
    Well it still looks like the hummers will stay, but it is my first year doing this so I really don't know but hey it's October 25th. Later.

flyover and Inyo Tim like this.
  7. cyberghostx13

Well another update. Nov 8th2020. It's mostly cloudy today and some fairly stiff breezes, temp in the 50s. Hummers are still around and not much has changed except I have my two permanent feeders(Hopefully they will send up against the wind, they are doing well so far). IMGP0010.JPG

A few recent photos.
    IMGP0132.JPG

IMGP0212.JPG

IMGP0022.JPG

IMGP0023.JPG

IMGP0228.JPG

Well that's it, sure looks to me like the hummers are in for the long haul, I just hope that the wind doesn't crash the party. Later.

Inyo Tim and flyover like this.
  8. cyberghostx13

Well I just had to post these splash shots I just took today. It was a superb day, sunny and no wind. I set up the very best I could even going to the lower level of the patio. Today is the Marine Corps Birthday and Flash gave me these action shots to celebrate the USMC Birthday. IMGP0062.JPG

IMGP0063.JPG

IMGP0064.JPG

IMGP0065.JPG
    Flash(above) showing his USMC red to finish the photo shoot. Later.

PS: In case you didn't know you can click on each photo to enlarge, click again to go back to normal. I didn't learn that until just recently.

Borderland and Inyo Tim like this.
  9. cyberghostx13

Well it's raining(not real hard...yet) windy(not nasty) and cool outside today November Friday the 13th. What a difference a day makes. Pics below from yesterday(Nov 12th) that were taken outside. IMGP0003.JPG

IMGP0004.JPG

IMGP0006.JPG

These shots below were taken today from inside thru my kitchen window. Windy, rainy, and cool. Pics not great but just to show difference. Hummers have really been zipping around in their dogfights.

I know there are at least three of them because they zipped right by my kitchen window. Fall has finally arrived here and it sure looks like the hummers are in for the duration. IMGP0010.JPG

IMGP0011.JPG

Well that's it, see ya later.

Borderland and Inyo Tim like this.
  10. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Hummingbirds in your yard aren't migrating south for the winter because Anna's Hummingbirds are year around residents in California and other southwestern states. Most if not all the bird photos you've posted are of Anna's Hummingbirds. There might be a few Black-chinned Hummingbirds in your posts but the photos don't show enough detail for me to ID them positively. At this date almost all Black-chinned have migrated to Mexico for the winter.

Keep up the good work taking care of the birds and posting photos of them.

cyberghostx13 and Inyo Tim like this.
  11. cyberghostx13

Well a very big thank you sir for visiting this thread and adding a lot of very useful information to this thread. So don't be a stranger to this thread, do you have hummers in the summer where you live? Got any photos to add? Here's a couple I took a few days back. IMGP0005.JPG

IMGP0005.JPG

IMGP0013.JPG

IMGP0016.JPG

Thanks again. CG13.

Attached Files:

Inyo Tim likes this.