Took The Hummingbird Plunge Today-Help Appreciated(FNG)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cyberghostx13, Jul 30, 2020.

1. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Some recent photos, most edited. IMGP0096.JPG

IMGP0098.JPG
    Daisy May in ambush mode, but kinda chilling' as well.

IMGP0101.JPG

IMGP0102.JPG
    Well I took a shot after my supper and it was getting' pretty dark so I used flash mode for the first time and to my surprise she let me take a couple flash pics, the one above is the best. Later.

2. thespork

thespork

Wait till it's dusk California time, those feeders get absolutely mobbed

n2g, Inyo Tim and cyberghostx13 like this.

3. cyberghostx13

n2g likes this.
  4. cyberghostx13

Well it's what I call "Last Call" around here. I only have my three but they are still very fun to watch and the dog-fighting takes place all up and around me.

n2g, CanyonMan and Inyo Tim like this.
  5. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

6. cyberghostx13

FullClip and n2g like this.
  7. cyberghostx13

Well the weather sure is holding out very well(85-90 little wind) but that is very typical for this time of year. All the hummers here haven't changed a bit and Daisy May is still running the place, course the others always seem to get theirs. I really believe that they are staying but won't know till he weather changes.

So some pictures taken since I last posted here. IMGP0110.JPG
    Edit Zoom Below Photo
    IMGP0137.JPG

IMGP0010.JPG

IMGP0005.JPG

IMGP0024.JPG
    Edit Zoom Below Photo
    IMGP0014.JPG

Today IMGP0004.JPG

Well that's it, have a fantastic day.

Attached Files:

Inyo Tim and n2g like this.
  8. peng

peng

I'm glad you are finding joy in these birds. They affected me similarly and are mesmerizing and relaxing to watch. More amazing is feeding them by hand, try it. They are actually quite chatty but you need to be very close to hear it.

9. n2g

n2g

"My" big group have been gone for over a week, maybe two, but I've still seen one most days until yesterday. I haven't seen him (or her) since Monday, so he may have flown south now, too. I miss them already. I'm leaving my feeders up for any travelers or stragglers, though.

I'm still enjoying "my" other birds. I see several bluebirds in the backyard bath every now and then, and several other kinds from doves to wrens, and a hawk. One mockingbird is determined to come inside and has been repeatedly trying to fly through the glass door for several days. Today it was trying to get inside my car. Yesterday a smaller brown bird was pecking at a window. Maybe they've decided they like to watch me as much as I like to watch them? LOL

A few nights ago my Ring camera caught another coyote in my driveway around 3:00 a.m., the third time this year. This one was smaller. I hope they mosey along somewhere else.

Lots of squirrels, of course, and the occasional chipmunk and a rabbit one day. I haven't had a possum on the deck in quite awhile, nor any more deer in the backyard recently.

Every now and then a neighborhood cat visits during the night. I rarely see any wandering dogs, although last year one got inside my fenced back yard. He was trying to dig his way out so I let him out. I called the pound, not to come get him, but so they'd know where he'd been seen if the owners phoned them. Maybe that was wrong, but I didn't want them to put him to sleep if the owners didn't claim him. He had a collar but it had no info on it. He was a little skittish but I finally got him to come to me for a few seconds so I could check it. I hope he made it home safely.

I enjoy seeing (most of) the wildlife. I don't live far out so it's been surprising that so much wanders through.

Nice photos as always. Enjoy your hummers!

Trump/Republican 2020

Inyo Tim and cyberghostx13 like this.
  10. cyberghostx13

Well it sounds like you have a zoo around your area. I love Mockingbirds, maybe you should get that guy a little house nearby. Enjoy your beautiful area, sure seems to me you have a very nice place.

Inyo Tim, FullClip and n2g like this.
  11. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Mine are long gone heading to warmer climes and I lost track of this thread. The video of the guy rescuing the little hummer is amazing...wish I could "like" it a few dozen times.

I've gone from sugar to suet now, and the little woodpeckers, nuthatches and chickadees are all over the place.

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  12. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I don't understand how birds choose where to live. The next town north has blue jays. I've never seen one here. The big central valley has mockingbirds; again none here.
    I was surprised one night to find a possum in my yard eating cat food. This is way out of their Cal. range. I think the fires up in the mountains above town drove him out and down a creek. He disappeared after a while. I think the coyotes got him. They patrol through town every night.
    ETA: I'm checking my feeders every day but they are not being used like they were in the summer. No frost yet, but the nights are getting cooler. I think my neighbors have put up fancier feeders. :)

13. cyberghostx13

When I was a kid growing up in the 50s in Rockford, Illinois my mom used to throw stale bread out into the snow, it was surreal, nice smooth white snow with little bread slices with brown tops sticking up from the snow. We saw many Robins and a few other types but one day a bright red Cardinal showed up for some bread and wow did he ever stick out in all that white snow.

FullClip and Inyo Tim like this.
  14. cyberghostx13

Well you got good vibes for animals and it seems you do a great job so just keep doing what your doing but if you come up with a new idea then try it. Live and Learn. Later.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  15. cyberghostx13

Well just a little update and several pictures mostly from today. The temps are coming down from the 90s to the 80s and that looks like where they'll be for the next few days, Wind has been very, very tame almost non-existent, today less than 5mph which has kinda been the norm. i know because I haven't had to use a 16 lb.bag of Kingsford to keep the sunbrella grounded.

I think there is a new player in town and I think it's a female. This morning after I had set things up a hummer came but and did a few once arounds, then almost to underneath the sunbrella the hummer was checking me out real good coming to within a yard. The others did the same thing early on but haven't in awhile, they know me now.

So today's set-up and shots. IMGP0042.JPG

IMGP0041.JPG

IMGP0047.JPG

IMGP0035.JPG

IMGP0037.JPG
    Below pics edited.
    IMGP0052.JPG

IMGP0055.JPG
    Well this shot sure ain't a hummer, but wait a minute, is that Daisy May checking out Godzirra? I did't even know she was in the picture till I was transferring the photo to my iMac. I tried to get a lot closer to get a shot but the hawk flew away and I was't even close. The shot you do see is really zoomed a lot. I love the picture even this it's kinda rough looking.
    IMGP0040.JPG

Sure looks like the hummers will be staying to me, but haft see what happens after the time changes, then first rain. I have three new hummer feeders on the way as I only have the feeder you see and no back-up. So lots of new experiments to come for sure, all the new feeders are quite different, mostly top feeders but still glass. One looks like a kinda translucent old coke bottle glass in the shape of a cactus. Well have a super day, later.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  16. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

That grizzly looking old guy is kind of a humdinger. :)

17. cyberghostx13

Well after all I have been thru with hummingbird feeders on the first go is one solid hummingbird feeder out of three I bought. I broke the stem on one(Glass on glass with glue a no go), and the other I should have returned beacuse it's glass stem was out of alignment so when filled and hanging it wasn't close to level and had leakage problems. So my bad on both. Live and learn.

Anyway I have to have a back-up just in case something goes wrong with the one I have. It works superbly so all I have to do is not drop it, I'm not a klutz but ya never know and the hummers wouldn't understand no chow going on. It also seems that these Hummers will not be migrating but that's just my best guess based on this area's weather and the species involved.

I'm still waiting on closure from Amazon saying it did deliver a feeder when it did not. I should know pretty soon as I made a very good case with evidence, my bank Chase is dealing with it. I haven't bought anything from Amazon since.

Now I have three new feeders on the way(Not purchased from Amazon)and all are quite different than the one I have and am using now. Two of them are top feeders and the third was a bargain and bright yellow with purple flowers and cost 20 bucks with free shipping and it arrives today. If it comes early enough I'll set it up in the tree I've already scouted parts of the tree to put it on. I also used and unused "S" Hanger(3 1/2") to support a low hanging branch on the tree to another branch above it that is bigger and stronger, and I must say I did a most excellent job. So here are pictures of the three feeders.

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png <<<This is the one arriving today. Grand total for all is approx 73 dollars. I'm putting all that money on the money saved from terminating Comcast $600 saved for 3 months and getting 3 months of Sonic Fiber Internet for free(About 70 dollars/month total when I do start paying).

I sure hope the yellow one arrives early enough today so I put it up, I'm really excited. The temps are perfect now maybe 75-80 much better than the low 90s and it seems they will continue to be very nice at least for the next few days. Oh ya, I changed out the feeder today and as I was putting it back the male hummer was manuevering very close by, maybe two feet from me for maybe 20 seconds and eyeballing me as if to say, "hurry the f up I'm hungry". I could really see his irredecent candy apple spot on his throat. I think all things are great in "Hummerville". Well have a great day.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020 at 4:33 PM
    Inyo Tim likes this.
  18. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I haven't seen birds at my feeders for about a week. I think maybe the smoke in the valley spooked them and they headed south. A lot of folks are putting up feeders so maybe they found a place with no cats looking up at them.

19. cyberghostx13

Well I just took these shots couple hours ago. I was being aggressive because I was on the top level maybe 7 feet from the feeders. I just put up the new feeder and it was getting late, delayed my supper but definitely worth it just for this shot alone. IMGP0010.JPG

New feeder added IMGP0002.JPG

Pics of Daisy May from very close, hardly any zoom. IMGP0004.JPG

IMGP0006.JPG

IMGP0007.JPG

IMGP0009.JPG
    Daisy May standing guard, perched just behind the older feeder, one of my best shots of her so far. I can't wait for the action tomorrow.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  20. cyberghostx13

Well a really big deal on the hummer front, seems there really is a new kid in town and it's a male. First it was really jumpy at the feeder never really perching. Even Flash(The name I gave to the male that's been around since I started) will perch to drink, least till he gets chased off by Daisy May.

The new hummer also has an iridescent, candy apple red band almost completely around his neck and it's a little darker as well. Since he was so jumpy I got some great action shots. Here they are, the unedited first.
    IMGP0017.JPG

IMGP0018.JPG

IMGP0020.JPG

IMGP0021.JPG

IMGP0022.JPG
    These below are edited
    IMGP0024.JPG

IMGP0027.JPG

IMGP0028.JPG

Now just to compare Flash to the new guy, here's my best shot of Flash IMGP0010.JPG

Well that's all, sure is nice tho to see a new hummer in the picture. Later.