GlockTalk Forum banner

181 - 200 of 277 Posts

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Well it's Wednesday September 16th. I changed location of recliner and it's better in both lighting and angles, least before 12:30pm Pac Time. Here are two shots each unedited and edited.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm thinking that Daisy May will stick around, Allens and Rufus Hummingbirds have somewhat of a reputation for sticking around in places that have mild weather in the fall and winter. This area only has three seasons so we'll see. It actually drizzled a bit thru last night into the morning. Still I believe we are in for at least one more heat wave before mid October. Still the three hummers that I know of have been around and still little jet hummer dog-fighting especially in the early evening. Later.

·
Senior Moment
6,098 Posts
You're getting good at those hummer photos Cyber. Nice shots.
I was reading about the hummingbirds here in the Owens Valley and they have been photographed at a feeder with snow on the ground. Some stayed at my house all winter and some days were very cold. Don't know which species birds though.
A female Anna's seems to be the alpha bird at my feeders. She's a mean old gal.

·
Flux Capacitor Technician
3,724 Posts
I’m in Iowa and am putting out the last of the food. I will probably keep food available for pit stops on migration until it becomes cooler - probably end of September.

I love the little buggers and I think they tolerate me. When I’m out grilling occasionally one will hover literally a foot in front of my face and let me admire him/her for a minute before zooming off.

Imagine if we could move like they do in scaled proportion! That would probably be like running a 10 second quarter mile while pulling 3 g’s off the line. On your own feet!

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I’m in Iowa and am putting out the last of the food. I will probably keep food available for pit stops on migration until it becomes cooler - probably end of September.

I love the little buggers and I think they tolerate me. When I’m out grilling occasionally one will hover literally a foot in front of my face and let me admire him/her for a minute before zooming off.

Imagine if we could move like they do in scaled proportion! That would probably be like running a 10 second quarter mile while pulling 3 g’s off the line. On your own feet!
I love 'em as well. They are very, very smart and so very gutsy. I mean several times hummers have eyeballed me maybe 15 inches from my face, just hovering and looking you right in the eye. I mean come on they are no bigger than my thumb. Weather is still fantastic, least in this area. I hope for rain but that's rather doubtful till maybe the last week of October.

Right now it's almost 6pm Pac and it's 75 degrees with 57% Humidity, wind about 7mph. I just started this hummer stuff in late July and it has really helped replace live TV sports. I still haven't watched any live TV sports since the last Daytona 500. I may watch college football if and when the fans are full strength back in the stands. I sure get a charge out of the early evening hummer dog-fights sometimes zooming right over my head. Well take it easy down IOWA way. I grew up in Rockford, Illinois in the 50s, moved to California in 1978.

·
Georgia gal
1,142 Posts
"Mine" are still going strong and I know I still have at least six. Lately they alternate feeders, with the old one being this week's favorite. I filled it a couple of days ago and it will be empty sometime tomorrow morning. The new glass one is down only a few inches and was filled before the older one.

Nice photos of the bathing beauty, OP.

Mine are still ignoring their lovely spa bath. I brought it inside yesterday but I didn't get any strong winds here. I'll put it back out in the morning so I can enjoy looking at it, LOL.

My son and his family sustained some hurricane damage at their home. They have eight very large trees down in their yard. Tonight I told my DIL that I hoped the hummingbirds survived. She said they were buzzing around right after the worst winds, and the larger birds were back, too. They must have good survival skills despite looking like such delicate little critters.

Trump 2020.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
"Mine" are still going strong and I know I still have at least six. Lately they alternate feeders, with the old one being this week's favorite. I filled it a couple of days ago and it will be empty sometime tomorrow morning. The new glass one is down only a few inches and was filled before the older one.

Nice photos of the bathing beauty, OP.

Mine are still ignoring their lovely spa bath. I brought it inside yesterday but I didn't get any strong winds here. I'll put it back out in the morning so I can enjoy looking at it, LOL.

My son and his family sustained some hurricane damage at their home. They have eight very large trees down in their yard. Tonight I told my DIL that I hoped the hummingbirds survived. She said they were buzzing around right after the worst winds, and the larger birds were back, too. They must have good survival skills despite looking like such delicate little critters.

Trump 2020.
Well hummers are smart and very sturdy, and their species have been around for a very long time.

On another note, when I bought my birdbath it was intended for the other birds as I had gotten two feeders for the hummers. Then I found about about the little solar fountains and I thought, why not, only 17 bucks and it works like a champ.

I never ever thought about a hummer bathing, drinking, and playing at the top of a fountain stream. Fate works in mysterious ways. Maybe you should try out a little solar fountain, it would only be a 17 dollar gamble. If not this season then maybe next. Have a nice evening.

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Mine keep slowing down. No more than a cup of juice a day now. Vs almost 9 cups a day early last month. I'll keep putting out juice until I see no more of them around. If they are to old or sick to make the trip, at least they won't die hungry.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Mine keep slowing down. No more than a cup of juice a day now. Vs almost 9 cups a day early last month. I'll keep putting out juice until I see no more of them around. If they are to old or sick to make the trip, at least they won't die hungry.
Hey man that's a great thing but always believe they made it and your the reason they did.

·
Georgia gal
1,142 Posts
Well hummers are smart and very sturdy, and their species have been around for a very long time.

On another note, when I bought my birdbath it was intended for the other birds as I had gotten two feeders for the hummers. Then I found about about the little solar fountains and I thought, why not, only 17 bucks and it works like a champ.

I never ever thought about a hummer bathing, drinking, and playing at the top of a fountain stream. Fate works in mysterious ways. Maybe you should try out a little solar fountain, it would only be a 17 dollar gamble. If not this season then maybe next. Have a nice evening.

I have a little solar fountain that I bought when I got the glass birdbath, but as far as I know, the hummers haven't made use of it. One day I did see one hovering in front of it looking at it, twice, but I haven't seen any actually get in the spray or the bath yet. It's humid here and has rained a good bit lately, though, so they may not need it. :) Their human likes it! I have a regular concrete birdbath out in my backyard that the other birds, including some bluebirds, like.

H bath fountain.JPG

After mine do start leaving I too will still leave at least one of my feeders up for the stragglers and travelers passing through. IIRC, my regulars didn't leave until sometime in October last year and I left my feeder up for a few months after that. I don't recall seeing any much later than October, but I might have missed them. In any case it's no trouble for me to leave a feeder up just in case.

Trump 2020

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
I have a little solar fountain that I bought when I got the glass birdbath, but as far as I know, the hummers haven't made use of it. One day I did see one hovering in front of it looking at it, twice, but I haven't seen any actually get in the spray or the bath yet. It's humid here and has rained a good bit lately, though, so they may not need it. :) Their human likes it! I have a regular concrete birdbath out in my backyard that the other birds, including some bluebirds, like.

View attachment 832318

After mine do start leaving I too will still leave at least one of my feeders up for the stragglers and travelers passing through. IIRC, my regulars didn't leave until sometime in October last year and I left my feeder up for a few months after that. I don't recall seeing any much later than October, but I might have missed them. In any case it's no trouble for me to leave a feeder up just in case.

Trump 2020

Wow, that's a really beautiful set-up you have there, I f I was a hummingbird I'd sure use it. Maybe it's the species, or more likely it's just an individual preference. Daisy May has really turned out to be a heck of a character. I'll be grilling a burger later on in very early evening a few hours before dusk so I'll see if she wants to join me overhead on on one of those lines. See ya later.
IMGP0019.JPG

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Well it was really an eventful day and a gorgeous one as well. No splash shots but I sure got some other good shots. First the environment
IMGP0012.JPG

IMGP0013.JPG

IMGP0022.JPG

Then the hummer shots
IMGP0005.JPG

IMGP0017.JPG

IMGP0033.JPG

Then a couple edits
IMGP0035.JPG

IMGP0038.JPG

IMGP0040.JPG

Well time to go, I gotta put a burger on da barbee, have a nice evening.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Well I got super lucky this morning. I decided to go casual with a photo shoot and set up the sunbrella for maybe the third time.
IMGP0048.JPG

IMGP0047.JPG

Perfect day nice temp, not much wind, fountain shooting straight up. Well I hadn't even had a chance to sit down and a hummer was atop the fountain.

Still standing I reached down and picked my camera up off the little green table. I turned in on and zoomed a little, focused, and snapped.
IMGP0046.JPG
Tried for a second shot but too late. Still i got one and it was a beauty, but I was in for a much bigger surprise. Upon editing I realized it wasn't Daisy May but it was the male, clearly defined by the iridescent candy apple red on his throat.
IMGP0053.JPG

IMGP0051.JPG

Guess he decided after watching Daisy May a few times that he would take the plunge.

Daisy May showed up later for a late morning snack.
IMGP0049.JPG

I can't believe how lucky I am to have such wonderful creatures around that don't seem to be bothered by me. See ya later.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #194

I'm sorry it took awhile before viewing, I usually don't watch them immediately but come back later. I just didn't think it would be days later. Anyway, what a beautiful and very moving video and even a happy ending. Looks a lot like an Allens, kinda like Daisy May with that irredecent chartreuse back. Thanks ever so much for posting it.

·
Georgia gal
1,142 Posts
Mine are still buzzing around like crazy. I sometimes see five or more at the same time which I've not seen before this summer. Most prefer the older feeder but one slightly larger one has claimed the new one. I filled them both up a few days ago and the old one is low but the new one still has at least half left.

I'm glad they're still here and I'm going to miss them when they go!

Inyo, that was a great video. I'm glad the little one made it. Bless that man who cared for him/her all day. About a week ago another one bumped into my glass door but after just a few seconds he/she flew away. A scary few seconds. I'm praying they safely get to their destination when they do migrate.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Have you guys seen the studio city live feed?
View: https://youtu.be/pXe8MpU7uzk
WOW! Thank you so much for posting such a great site and a live feed as well. Thanks to Studio City as well, I wonder who came up with idea? Sooner or later tho I would look to see some Studio City advertising at the top of this feeders, kinda like ones they have on microphones, and hey that's ok with me as long as it's ok with the hummers.

181 - 200 of 277 Posts