Took The Hummingbird Plunge Today-Help Appreciated(FNG)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cyberghostx13, Jul 30, 2020.

1. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well I been wanting to take the hummingbird plunge for quite awhile and after reading posts on Fullclip's "Stupid..." Thread I did just that. So I will be brand new to actually trying to feed those fantastic flyers and I will appreciate all the help I can get.

So here's the field of operation. image.jpeg

Now for the equipment(Already purchased on Amazon).
    image.jpeg

Well I looked a long time and decided on this one for around $27. It had a lot of great reviews and I sure liked the color. However, like my mom used to say, "The proof is in the pudding".

Since I wasn't really sure about hanging the feeder in the little tree, I bought a Sheppard's Hook image.jpeg it is 65" inches tops with 4 adjustable heights.

Finally, something I almost bought many times just to use on it's own, but now it will be an add on to the above. image.jpeg

The one I got is the same color and size but no little holes on the circle and mine also has kind of ripples. Water or sand can be put into the stem for stabilizing.

What the heck, I'm retired and I just love hummingbirds, not just for their flying acrobatics but their being such gutsy little critters, their curiosity almost matches their appetites.

I should be receiving all of the above in the first week of August. Cya all later.

Attached Files:

cqb451, rfd339, sourdough44 and 13 others like this.
  2. norcalAF

norcalAF

I recommend making the food yourself, I do about 1/3 cup of white sugar to two cups of hot water to dissolve it. Let it cool, fill the feeder and let it rip. Depending on where you live, you don't want to feed too late in the year as it can delay migration.
    If you mix too much sugar in, your feed will grow bacteria that isn't good for the little fellas.
    You are gonna love it once you're up and running, those guys are fascinating to watch performing aerial stunts.
    The ones that frequent my feeder make all sorts of noise if someone is too close to the feeder and they are hungry, insistent little buggers

rugercat78, peepaw, Inyo Tim and 4 others like this.

3. cyberghostx13

Well thanks. I live about 25 miles south of San Francisco. The weather is better, temps higher and hardly any fog, some of the best weather in the country year round. image.jpeg
    I live not far from this city. I think a lot of the hummingbirds stick around for the year but I'm not sure. September thru October temps get really high 90-100 plus.

White sugar, you do mean regular granulated sugar right? Thanks for your help.

4. Caver 60

Caver 60

I'm feeding 6 cups of sugar water mix a day in two feeders. A friend of mine says he is feeding almost a gallon a day in four big feeders.

I use 1/4 cup sugar to one cup boiled, mixed while hot, and then cooled water.

I keep feeding until they stop eating. The ones who haven't left, are too old or sick to make the journey. So I might as well feed them until they die.

Also late comers from further up north, can use a refueling stop on the way south.

5. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

I went out to fill a traveling friend's bird feeders. I didn't know they had hummingbird feeders up. A Lady Rubythroat flew in my face and said "What about us?" So I mixed up some solution and filled it, too.

6. Caver 60

Caver 60

Yes, regular granulated white sugar. Doesn't matter if it's Dominoes, or the local off brand. Always Save, Great Value, or what ever brand your store carries. White sugar, is sugar.

Just be sure to boil the water a few minutes and keep things clean. Nasty stuff can build up inside the feeders if not kept clean.

And if the mix isn't used up in two or three days (depending on local temperature), change it out for new fresh nectar.

7. Speleothem

Speleothem

We planted a bunch of these and have a few in pots.
    Hummers love 'em.
    [​IMG]
    They call 'em Cigar Plants.

8. peng

peng

Been feeding these guys for years, only seen one this year such a bummer not sure why.

Here's a few things I've learned.

Keep their feeders away from other bird feeders you may have. Too much activity and they may not come very often.

Change their food often. Like every 2-3 days, in hot climates sugar water goes bad quick. You don't need to fill the feeder all the way, just a few inches is good depending on how many you get. If your feeders are very active this may not be an issue.

Get an anti ant water cup to hang the feeder with, it will keep them out.

As for the food, I just use granulated table sugar, it doesn't matter cane or beet is fine.

The correct solution is 20% sugar by volume which matches their favorite flowers. So it's 4 parts water and 1 part sugar. You don't need to boil it, the sugar just needs to dissolve completely. I do 2 cups water and 1 cup sugar in a pot on the stove.

Dissolve it and then add 2 more cups ice cold water and stir. It cools the mixture down quickly so you can stick it in the fridge.

Enjoy. You can actually hand feed them sometimes just put some nectar in your hand and hold it out.

papershoot, x2501, 9jeeps and 3 others like this.
  9. Redeemed

Redeemed

Echo most of the above. They are amazing little creatures. Territorial as all get out too.
    One thing about the shepherds hook, if you have raccoons they will either crawl up what’s next to it to get the nectar, or shake the living hell out of it until the feeder falls on the ground and they get it.

10. Speleothem

Speleothem

That's for sure. They spend more time chasing away others than feeding. :D

9jeeps, n2g, FullClip and 3 others like this.
  11. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

My feeders are clear plastic. I've always added red food coloring but some folks say this is bad. I thought food coloring was harmless.
    Hummingbirds are very territorial and can viscous defending their claimed feeder.
    ETA: Some folks don't know that the hummer's main diet is insects. The sugar water just gives them the energy to go bug hunting.

12. cyberghostx13

Well that Nickname certainly fits.

rugercat78, Inyo Tim and Speleothem like this.
  13. norcalAF

norcalAF

I live in the East Bay, Pleasant Hill to be exact. There are year round hummingbirds in the Bay, so feed accordingly! And yes I meant table sugar as already stated.
    Btw there is a less common species that lives in the red wood areas, my dad (an avid birder) has gone a few times to check them out during his visits.

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  14. norcalAF

norcalAF

Instead of dying your food, just get a red feeder. I don't know for sure one way or the other as far as toxicity, but I do know hummingbirds would never encounter dye on their own.

15. Caver 60

Caver 60

I bought a couple of flag pole holders. Then two 10 foot pieces of one inch conduit. I put a wire hook on the end of the conduit. I hang the ant trap and the feeder on the hook at the end of the conduit.

The flag pole holders are screwed on to my deck about 8 feet off the ground. I extend the conduit and feeder out, and place the end of the conduit into the flag holder.

We have plenty of raccoons around here. But I've never had one get into a bird, or hummingbird feeder yet.

cyberghostx13 and Redeemed like this.
  16. cyberghostx13

I wasn't going to dye my hummingbird food, were you referring to someone else? Look at the feeder I got, a glass one totally covered in red, yellow, and blue. When they come, and they will, least a couple that I know hang out in the above area maybe an hour or so before the sun goes down. If two hummers get by each other and they don't buzz the other out at warp speed, then for sure one of them is female, then they kinda hang out.

n2g and Inyo Tim like this.
  17. norcalAF

norcalAF

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to another post. Your feeder looks good to go.
    Witnessing those jousting matches is just plain cool!

cyberghostx13 and n2g like this.
  18. DesertAu

DesertAu

Nice looking feeders it’s fun watching them good luck with it. Back at my old art studio I had a few that would hang out and I’d see them everyday coming to steal little pieces of fiber insulation from the top of my ceramic kiln they would use to build nests, one day I got lucky and spotted where they had built one in the light fixture hanging in the back yard gazebo it’s made from kiln fiber and other bits with a little feather door, I guess the kiln fiber makes a warm cozy nest.
    FC3F4075-20D9-4429-8DC8-A3261122B447.png

cyberghostx13, n2g and Inyo Tim like this.
  19. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I mix my sugar water strong, and the birds love it. (about 4 cups sugar to 7 or 8 cups water.

You've missed the "hatch" when the young ones come out of the nest and all the sudden you have 3 or 4 times the birds at the feeders. (at least around here with the ruby-throated vultures)

But like others have said, keep the feeders clean and don't let the juice sit there more than a few days.

When re-filling my feeders, I rinse them out real good with hot water, but every few days I soak them for 10 minutes in a dilute bleach water solution (bottle and feeding tubes). I also remove the bee-guards and scrub those out.

Be patient, they may take a while to find it.

cyberghostx13, n2g and Inyo Tim like this.
  20. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

Funny story;

At uncle & aunt's home, out in the woods, in Michigan. They're into birds and have a humming bird feeder that's on a pole tall enough to rise above their deck, as the land behind the house where their deck is slopes steeply away.

So the feeder is on a tall pole, and it's a big feeder, kinda heavy.

We're all drinking as the sun sets, out on the deck. My aunt and cousin, both as drunk as any of us, decide it's time to fill the feeder. My uncle and I are sitting watching, and my uncle mentions that thing is heavier than it looks, and he thinks his wife & son don't realize it.

Well....the pole raises up slightly, and then the whole shootin' match goes crashing to the ground. Many yellings, several guffaws, and a new bird feeder is purchased the next day.:animlol::animlol:

cyberghostx13 and Inyo Tim like this.