close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Took the Dremel tool to my glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by KYgundoc, Jan 9, 2005.

1. KYgundoc

KYgundoc

I did the dale Rhea trigger job on my 17 yesterday and shot it in a match last night. Works great and I did improve my 5 to Glock scores. I could not bring myself to use a reduced power striker spring but even without it I can't believe how improved it is. I have been wrestling with doing this for a few months now because I was an Armorer for a large Sheriffs Office and because of that stock is all I have ever done. I decided that I will never carry this gun so why not. I guess time will tell. I was going to describe how I did the work but for some reason all I could think of was "Do not do this at home, All stunts are done by Professional stunt men" I did not want ruined Glocks and people cursing me on Glock talk. I would feel kind of like the gunsmith that gave out Dremel tools to his customers for Christmas one year. Anyway so far so good.

2. T. Harless

T. Harless

3. KYgundoc

KYgundoc

Yes I did. I had it done in an hour.

4. T. Harless

T. Harless

I haven't had the wallies to do the whole deal. Very interesting read though. You ought to try, if not just for grins, a reduced power FP spring. Or if you've got spares snip off a coil or two a stock one.

5. KYgundoc

KYgundoc

Man cutting the side off of the striker nearly made me go find a bottle so I will have to get used to what I have done first.

6. T. Harless

T. Harless

That and filing the end off the trigger bar and drilling a new hole for the trigger spring. Hard core for us mortals

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I just bought all new (well, used) parts from my local Glock distributor and modded them.

That way my precious Dawg wouldn't be laid up if I made a boo-boo.

They are nice mods for the range, but I carry stock parts for CCW.

8. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I've confined my firing mechanism modifications to changing connectors and judicious polishing. Have experimented a little with cutting coils off striker spring. I don't compete, so zillionths of a second don't mean much to me. I'm pretty decent with my Glocks, which have trigger pulls from just over 3# to just under 4#.

9. KYgundoc

KYgundoc

Instead of cutting the end off of the trigger bar I drilled another hole above the existing hole and threaded the spring through the existing hole into the new hole that way I did not lose the original if i needed to switch back. My problem was peening the slide. I did it a bit too much and I had to open it up by inserting shims. It ended up just right. My carry guns are stock and I only use this gun to put holes in cardboard.

10. njl

njl

Did you have to torch the trigger bar to soften the metal before drilling the new (second) trigger spring hole?

Did you thin the connector?

Do you have a trigger pull scale, so you can measure what you've done?

11. KYgundoc

KYgundoc

I have access to a milling machine (I am a Tool maker now) so I used a carbide drill to make the new hole. I have a problem heating that area of the trigger bar because it will lose hardness in the most needed area where it connects with the striker. I have a ghost rocket connector and I did thin it about a third more.
    I have not been able to find my trigger scale but when I do I will let you know what it tells me.