close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Took my S&W 5906 to the range

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by emt1581, Mar 25, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

After having it a few months, I finally took my S&W 5906 to the range.

It fed the FMJ ammo just fine. No feed issues at all. But I have to say I wasn't impressed with the sights/accuracy. It could have been me though. But I've never been so inaccurate with a pistol. The shots were all over the place.

Plus it recoiled a little differently than my Glocks. Seemed to be more slack in the slide and not nearly as tight if that makes sense.

Trigger wasn't bad. DA had a smooth break and the SA was ok.

I'll take it out again and see if it was just me or not with accuracy. But right now, I wouldn't feel confident enough with it to carry it or use it for defense.

If it remains a gun I can't get decent groups with next time, I'll probably sell it. I know most people love them. So it shouldn't be too hard to get what I paid out of it.

Feel free to ask questions. :)

-Emt1581

2. anyplainjoe

anyplainjoe Nobody special.

those guns are plenty accurate.

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

As I said, it may very well have been me rather than the gun. Still I've never had such poor accuracy with a pistol. So whether it's me or the gun, it wouldn't do me much good if I couldn't get good groups with it.

-Emt1581

4. bac1023

bac1023

I've got the single stack 3906 and love it.

5. southernshooter

southernshooter

Try different brands of ammo. Try 147gr if 115 not too accurate.

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Every gun takes some getting used to, give it a few more boxes of ammo before giving up on it.

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Yeah, like I said, I'll give it another trip or so, but I've never had such inaccuracy with a pistol.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

8. bnkrtstk

bnkrtstk

What a coincidence, I actually carried my 5906 today. I shoot it better than anything I own.

9. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

Check the crown of the barrel for dings, even slight. These can dramatically affect accuracy. I have 3 5900 series guns. Two were purchased new by me. A third was a PD turn-in with lots of holster wear and quite a bit of gunk inside by little else along the ways of use. These typically came with arched grips. Some people do better with the flat ones that came on the 4006 (there interchangeable). I've also found that I prefer the Hogue rubbers which have a sort of middle of the road between a true flat and arched mainspring housing area. The grip could affect the consistency of your hand position and greatly impact accuracy.

Of course, there is a subset of the shooting public that just can't get used to these guns. You might even try shooting it from a rest. One of our local ranges actually has a Ransom rest for members to use, but sandbags should do.

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'll double check the barrel but as beat up as the slide is, the barrel looked brand new when I checked it initially.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

11. G31

G31 Millennium Member

Took my brother a while to get used to his S&W 4043...probably 200 rnds.

12. Laserlips

Laserlips "Laus Deo"

JMOfartO:

Well, I love 3rd Gen Smiths, (I have a 3913/3913LS/5906/6906/CS9 & CS45..)

I consider 3rd Gen Smiths as fantastically reliable, but NONE of them are outstanding accurate at self defense range..

ALL of them are certainly accurate enough for self defense, but none, in my experience offer the tack driving accuracy of say my 2 HK P7's or my HK P2000sk...

I was thinking about the obvious accuracy difference between my HK's and my Smiths and I'm sure some of it is because the HK's have the reputation of being "better" overall in construction and materials than the more "mundane" Smiths, but when I started shooting them head to head, I found another aspect which could make up for some of the difference.

The three dot white sights on all of the HK's are larger than those on all of the Smiths...

Duh?

I guess maybe young folks with great vision could shoot any pistol better than this old fart, and perhaps the difference in dot size wouldn't mean squat to them, but for me a bigger sight simply offers better groups..

I would put any of my Smiths up against any pistol I've ever owned for reliability... And for me reliability is job ONE in a self defense weapon.

But none of my Smiths can offer me the tiny groups (at self defense range) that my HK's can. And we all love tiny groups, even tho the difference in practical accuracy for self defense purposes between the Smiths and HK's doesn't mean a thing.

Another thing regarding the 5906 in general.

I chose the all steel 5906 as my "home defense" (get me to the 12ga) choice. I have CT Lasergrips on it, and imo it's a great choice for that particular job.

My wife is also a senior citizen, only 5 feet tall (she say's 5 feet &1/16) but she can shoot the somewhat large, heavy 5906 quite well, and enjoys doing so.

I think the heft reduces the recoil a lot so that's one reason she enjoys shooting it.

I personally think the 3rd Gen Smith line of pistols are highly underrated, and great bargains for what I consider a quality firearm.

I bought this pictured 5906 NIB from CDNN two years ago for $399.99.

Just ramblin', no offense to those who might disagree.

Best Wishes,

jesse

P.S. I like the 6906 equally as well as the larger, heavier 5906.. The 6906 will accept the 15rd mags of the 5906 (w/SW mag adapter) but Crimson Trace offers no lasergrip for the 6906 and I prefer my home defense pistol have a laser.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010