close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Took my Glock 36 for a swim this weekend

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by vafish, Jul 18, 2004.

1. vafish

vafish

Didn't really mean to.

We went camping on the James River. The campground brochure showed this nice serene river. Decided to bring the canoe along and take a nice relaxing trip down the river.

Saturday morning I asked the lady at the campgound where a good place to put in was. She gave me some directions and off we went.

Well ends up we had a 5 mile trip of mostly class 1, 1+ and one section of class 2 rapids. It was a lot of fun, been 20 years or more since I've run any rapids, with a 11 year old kid in the bow and a 15 year old son of a friend riding in the middle it was challenging. I found out I was no where near as good of a canoeist as I remembered being. We capsized once and I fell out one other time. Of course I was carrying my G36 in a fanny pack for the trip. I thought ahead enough to put my cell phone in a ziplock bag and left most of my wallet contents back in camp.

But I didn't think to bring a cleaning kit with me, since shooting wasn't on the agenda. When I got back to camp I field stripped it and dried her out as best I could, no gun oil, didn't even have any WD40 in camp. Tonight (Sunday) I detail stripped it and to my amazement not a spec of rust inside of her.

My Glocks just continue to amaze me.

2. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

It takes a lot for a Glock to rust. If the exposure wont rust stainless, it wont rust a Glock either.

3. Eins36

Eins36 World Citizen

The good news is, your cell phone woulda probably worked too after a bath. I dropped mine into the toilet once (after I had flushed, mind you). I saw the bubbles coming out of it before I could grab it and get it out of the water again. The battery was dead as can be but the phone worked flawlessly after I dried it with warm air. Amazing!

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

The only rust I've ever seen on a Glock was seeping out from under the rear sight, and that weapon had been wet for a week.