Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not any questions or advice needed. Just proud of my boys. We went and shot clays today. Both have shot handguns and rifles before. This was their first outting with a shotgun. Shea (holding my A5) tried out my a5 but went right back to his 20ga. I'll be buying them both 20ga pumps pretty soon. I guess any advice on pump guns for 12 year olds would be appreciated.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Glock 40 cal.
1,664 Posts
Awesome! Kinda brings back memories from my childhood, my grandfather gave me my first real gun, a 410 over and under when I was around 12. My uncle owned 20 acres of farmland and woods here in Northeast Ohio- I remember so many great fall/winter seasons pheasant hunting in the harvested corn fields or tracking rabbits in the snow with my dad and grandpa. A Remington 870 or Mossy 500 would make great starter pump guns for a decent price- new or used. You're a great dad! :) Your sons will cherish these days- always.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! I recognize the spot, looks like Garland range.
That was it. :)

·
The eBay Guy
21,573 Posts
Awesome!!

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
Good going, Pops! They're never too young. Take mama too?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good going, Pops! They're never too young. Take mama too?
Nah. She didn't want to get out this time. She does want a shotgun now tho. She went shooting clays with her women's gun league not too long ago and wants to do it again.

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,479 Posts
Not any questions or advice needed. Just proud of my boys. We went and shot clays today. Both have shot handguns and rifles before. This was their first outting with a shotgun. Shea (holding my A5) tried out my a5 but went right back to his 20ga. I'll be buying them both 20ga pumps pretty soon. I guess any advice on pump guns for 12 year olds would be appreciated.

If they are going to be shooting a lot of clays (trap, skeet or sporting clays), then I would get them Remington Youth Model 1100's. The youth model has a shorter stock that fits smaller sized people well, and being a gas operated semiauto it has a very mild recoil.

I shoot a lot of trap and I have two 12 gauge 1100's for loaner guns (one with a normal stock for men and one with a shortened stock for women). Everybody I have introduced to clay shooting really appreciates not being beat up at the end of shooting 4 rounds (100 shots).

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The one holding my a5 is my youngest. He's been shooting since he was 4 but today was his first time with the shotgun. The kid is a natural shooter. He didn't miss much even tho he was using an old Sears single shot 20ga.

The one with the big smile is Lori's youngest. I introduced him to shooting a couple years ago. He's a bright kid and it took a while to get a hit but once he did he was excited. I figured with a better tool they'll have better luck and more fun. Lori's youngest want to do a dove hunt for his birthday this next year so I'm trying to work us all up to doing that.

I got an old mec reloader the other day and was showing it to the boys. Before we left they found me every used shell in every bin on the range and had our empty box of clays full. I told them it would be good to load their own shells, hunt their own birds, and cook their own food. I figure it'd be a good life lesson they could pass on to their kids.

·
Registered
15,205 Posts
That is always a good time, and much more affordable than shooting some of my other guns. I have a spring loaded thrower that I can adjust to make a clay just about float in place. Great for kids and my wife to learn on. Me and the boys prefer the hand thrower for more challenging and random shots to simulate jumping birds.

·
Decap Pin Killa
18,083 Posts
Good for you taking the kids out. They will never forget it.

I was pretty much convinced that there was nobody under 20 that knew the joy of shooting the old humpback A5. Browning design... nuff said.

:thumbsup::cowboy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts