Took another gun class today

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by w30olds, Sep 21, 2019.

1. w30olds

w30olds Me fail English? That's unpossible

So went back today for the next level of pistol training. Believe there’s 3 tacticool pistol classes and I just completed tactical pistol 2. Great stuff and lots of moving and shooting. I decided to run my 19x through this class. Ran like a champ. Zero issues. Some others ran M&Ps and had some issues. My old ass did pretty darn well.

Here in a bit we are doing Stop the Bleed class. So it’s a double whammy class today! Instructors here are great and such good teachers. Eventually I’ll take Tactical Pistol 3 and maybe a AR/AK class last.

I’m learning so many valuable tidbits today. Plus some medical training thrown in for the end is amazing.

Cheers!
    w30 out

2. fastbolt

fastbolt

Congrats.

Don't let the way other students run and maintain their guns distract you overly much. That sort of thing can vary for any number of reasons (of which you can't really know), including the ammo used.

In the last couple of patrol rifle classes we put on, the duty pistols included Glocks and M&P's. Part of the class required rolling around on an outdoor sand, dirt and weed-filled range surface. The shooters and their holstered pistols (which were used during various stages of the courses-of-fire) achieved the sugar-cookie effect. There were more Glock functioning issues (for reasons involving preventive maintenance, it seemed), and a single one of the M&P's exhibited a single slowing of the slide one time during the course. The M&P shooter blew a lot of sand out of the inside of the weapon between stages and it ran fine aside from that one bobble. (I briefly looked at his M&P, and it looked like it had a sand/sugar coating on the outside and the inside.)

FWIW, I've seen my fair share of Glocks exhibit feeding issues when their mags were dropped onto that sand covered surface over the years, as magazines don't adore sand. ;)

I've also seen one of the other metal Euro-guns (advertised as passing a 20,000 round endurance test) become solidly seized when the shooter unintentionally dropped a loaded mag in the slightly damp sand (achieving the sugar cookie effect), and then inserted it in the weapon to continue shooting. He got off a single shot before everything seized. He couldn't even get the partially retracted slide to come "unstuck", and it was inop for the rest of the course. (It apparently required the services of a smith to get it restored to service.)

Congrats again on having the interest, time, money and enthusiasm to continue acquiring some pistol training. If done right it ought to be just as much fun as it is informative. :)

3. Detectorist

Detectorist

If I ever take a defensive pistol class, it will have to concentrate on the scenarios most likely to happen. Home, retail establishment, and gas stations. Maybe carjacking.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    porschedog and w30olds like this.
  4. John_AZ

John_AZ

No boats and ho’s?

Ross-in-Pa, pgg00 and Detectorist like this.
  5. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

Good for you! Going out and getting training is a good thing, more gun owners should do it. The Stop the Bleed class is something that should be taught in the freshman year of high school, along with regular first aid and CPR. I hope you enjoyed yourself and learned some new skills.

Badazuwanme2b likes this.
  6. w30olds

Thanks man!! It was a great class and the first aid class was a bonus. Great time and learned some really valuable training

7. w30olds

We got to shoot our way out of a car jacking scenario. It was pretty insane. Also learned slicing the pie which could translate into home invasion/home clearing of bad guys.

8. Badazuwanme2b

Badazuwanme2b

That’s awesome!! Glad you had a fun and informative training class. I’m looking into taking one.

w30olds likes this.
  9. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

What is the name of the company conducting the training?

Just_plinking likes this.
  10. Qman2

Qman2

I do training with a group that does the same type training. They do monthly sessions for $30 for 3 hours. That pulls in a couple dozen peeps. They also do trainings that cost $70 for 4 hours which is my preference since it thins out the crowd to more experienced shooters. My wife and I attended the trauma bleeding class last fall. All the classes are fun and great learning opportunities.

w30olds and Badazuwanme2b like this.
  11. pscyclepath

pscyclepath

I took the Rangemaster Combative Pistol class a couple of weekends ago.

In short: Carry your dang gun, more spare ammo is more better, know when it's time to talk and run away, know when it's time to shut up and fight, use the sights and the trigger to hit what you want to hit and do so at the speed proper for that distance, hit the most important parts that you can and be ready to hit them again if need be, all while using your brain.

"Use your brain a little more, and you'll have to use your gun a whole lot less."

12. w30olds

4G tactical is the name of the guys I train with.