close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Too much?!?!?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by ndbullet500, Sep 23, 2006.

1. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Unmutual

I've been wearing an Aerostich Roadcrafter lately. I wear a business suit at work, so without the 'Stich it would be much less likely that I would ride to work. I've even met girls when I've gone in someplace, then zip-zip.....wow, you are wearing a suit. :hearts:

My 'Stich is black with hi-viz panels. I seem to get equal parts grief because it is "ugly" and praise because it is visible. One of my favorite riding pals is an old school Triumph/Harley/Royal Enfield rider, and he always mentions it when he is in the lead...and not in a good way. :)

So I'm curious what you guys think. Did I take it too far with the colors for safety, or do you think it's cool? I won't take offense if it is hated, but obviously I would prefer that it isn't. Then I will print out the thread and toss it to my buddy! :) Otherwise.....what thread?!?!?!

[​IMG]

2. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Honestly, I like the level of safety, but color isn't something I worry about. Don't assume that any car will see you, regardless of color... but you already knew that.

3. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

I think it is overrated, but that is just me and I don't have any real world date to back up my assumption except that if a car won't see a headlight and a bike, then I doubt they will see some neon yellow fabric on said bike.

4. mmc45414

mmc45414

That is a cool suit. One of buddies just got one in grey with orange trim and it is a neat look. Another guy I know, after crashing into a left turner, bought one that was high-viz with red trim. As others have mentioned, that won’t prevent somebody from turning in front of you, but he said at least it might be handy for his wife to use in a civil suit if he ever got killed by somebody that claimed they couldn’t see him :<).

Personally, I like a little contrast and went with the two piece. That way I could get pants that are all black and a jacket that is red with yellow (bought before the high-viz) trim. Only bummer is that now the jacket is pink.

As far as female complements, once one told me I looked “really hot” in that suit, but she was a little heavy and a lot drunk…

5. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

I think you should quit worryin' about what other people think.

And as far as your mouthy riding buddy goes........some people just don't know when to STFU.

$.02

6. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Unmutual

mmc, that cracked me up about your jacket color. I've seen some old Roadcrafters that were pretty pink too, very funny. I love it when I see some old guy (usually on an Airhead BMW) with a dirty old Aerostich. 100,000 miles worth of dirt and grime right there for the world to see.

Clydeglide, I'm not worried about it at all, just wondering. But you know, when hanging with the fellows, you have to talk about something. It's just good natured ribbing. My Harley/Triumph/Enfield friend and I are just so different in a lot of our tastes, it's cheap entertainment to laugh at each other.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If I were to go with a 'Stitch, I'd go with their Puke Yellow for the whole shebang. :banana:

[​IMG]

Besides, who gives a damn about what people think of your gears? If they wanna look all black and Marlon Brando badass and roast in the heat or take the risk of being less visible then let them do it.

I don't think that typical colors really stand out that much with the cagers but if you were to wear some nasty neon bright safety colors then they really stand out like those safety hi-viz lime green or orange like the way the safety vests are made out of.

I had a chickie looking dead right at me while I was wearing this outfit [​IMG] and proceeded to change into my lane. And it doesn't get much less visible than this outfit!

8. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Unmutual

Dude, those are some crazy leathers. What is that, a Hopi symbol? I would think that would be a little easier to see than black. Just a little!

The Aerostich yellow actually is that nasty hi-viz yellow that you see on safety vests. The picture doesn't do it justice. And when you are riding, the forearms are exposed too, other riders have told me that they basically see my headlight surrounded by hi-viz yellow from the front. But, as you point out, there is nothing that is a magic bullet. I saw a road painting truck get rear ended after a mile of "WARNING - Road Crew Ahead" sighs, and the truck had strobes all over the back too.

BTW, I don't really give a damn about what people think about my gear. As I said, it just me and my friends BSing, kind of like arguing about 7 rounds of .45 v. 16 of 9mm on GT. ;)

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The symbol on the chest of my track suit is the Zia sun symbol; which is on the flag of the State of New Mexico. On the back is the Road Runner, which is the State Bird of New Mexico.:banana:

I gotta represent my state, ya know.:thumbsup:

10. bushjumper

bushjumper

I saw two guys on sport bikes this evening. One had a black and red joe rocket kind of mesh jacket with 3m type reflective piping on the back. The other had what appeared to be a white leather jacket on.

It was very hard to see the guy in the white leather, but the reflective striping on the other guys jacket stood out. I'd say just get a good looking suit with some reflective stripes.

During the day, if someone doesn't see you, it's not because your clothes aren't bright enough. It's probably because they are on the phone/fiddling with the radio/putting on makeup/shaving/eating/filing their nails/etc...

11. kAr

kAr Netware Rocks!

I have about 12,000 miles on most of my red with black stich. Some of it has less miles. ;)

12. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Why should anyone care what you look like when you ride? It's about enjoying the ride and being safe, not how you look. If you like the Aerostich, buy it.

13. Arkroyal

Arkroyal Sailing on.

I bett if your suit had big, full size panels of a naked chick on it, you would be seeing brake lights all over the place.:thumbsup:
    Man just think what that would look like from the back. :devildance:

14. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Unmutual

Thanks for the replies, Gents. I like the naked girl picture suggestion! And I think that it is very true that high-viz gear will only do so much. People hit bright red 4000 pound vehicles everyday, and I don't know how the hell you could miss that.

A couple people missed my original point (and apparently the restated original point). First, I really don't care whether people like or dislike my gear, it's just BSing with the boys. When the tastes are as diverse as with some of my friends, it just comes naturally to joke about the differences. I was just curious as to the reaction of the GT riders, basically for use next time we were discussing gear/tastes/etc. over a beer. Second, I'm not thinking about buying it, I had it custom made in those colors. After a couple of hours of trying every conceivable color combo, black and hi-viz was my pick. I even looked up some studies on the development of Hi-Viz and how it is perceived by the human eye.

Anyway, ride safe. I'm dreading the start of winter - I can ride when it is pretty damn cold (thank you Widder electric vest), but snow=garage.

15. Unbridled Rage

Unbridled Rage Swollen Member

Paint your helmet to match the yellow.

That'll do it.