Too much set back???

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by CC Glock, Apr 6, 2020.

1. CC Glock

CC Glock

Screenshot_20200406-225352.png
    I don't reload, but I'm sure there's some leeway in tolerances with hand loads. That being said, i'm guessing this is enough to cause an issue if I had fired it! Going though a half case of 45 I bought awhile back. 500 rounds and the very first one I opened and saw was this one. 499 others looked good and identical.

FullClip likes this.
  2. apmcdaniel

apmcdaniel

If that has a full charge - your gun might go BOOM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAcop and CC Glock like this.

3. CC Glock

CC Glock

I'm guessing it has the same charge as its 499 other brothers! My thoughts exactly on the "boom"!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  4. TheSlowLane

TheSlowLane

Imagine if you could fit a .45 in a 9mm sized frame? Oh wait...

apmcdaniel likes this.
  5. Intolerant

Intolerant

Box looks a little ruff. Possibly dropped and damaged the ammo (?)
    I would check all of them with a set of calipers for OAL.

6. CC Glock

CC Glock

Just weighted some of its box mates and then a speer gold dot jhp...all were 21 grams.

7. CC Glock

CC Glock

Yeah the box made its way all the way from Serbia and one side look a little worse for wear. But I feel like if it was dropped with enough force to cause that much setback that more than one would of been damaged.

Intolerant likes this.
  8. Intolerant

Intolerant

Yeah i hear yah, you would think so, but not always the case. Depends on the impact. Thats why i asked about the box looking rough. Its not that uncommon to find one, or a couple rounds set back. I bought a clean box of ammo once (remington), half the ammo had set back issues, almost as bad as the one you posted. In my situation, they were definitely already damaged before they were put in the box.

9. DonD

DonD

Thought it is a good FYI I got from a man I frequently exchanged emails with for about 15 yrs. He was a degreed engineer and designed guns for the original Bill Ruger and was fairly high up in Ruger's Prescott, AZ plant before retiring. Encyclopedic knowledge of firearms. Unfortunately, can't ask him, he died a few months ago.

He'd agree that setback isn't good but said the reverse, a round that is so long that it is starting to engage the rifling is worse.

Personally, since you've checked the rounds and found them consistent, I'd just take the one bad one and pull the slug with an inertial bullet puller and be done with it. Don

10. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

If it was American manufactured, looks like it was made on a Monday.

11. FireMedic-50

FireMedic-50

Yep...

Toss it

CAcop likes this.
  12. Bluescot

Bluescot

I can't believe that a round made on a progressive press would contain any errors as has been promo gated by a few on these threads!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing.

Glad you found it and a great example of looking over your ammo before shooting.

Current Resident likes this.
  13. MajorD

MajorD

Huge negative on that- use a bullet puller gently tap until the bullet is barely held
    In the case then re-seat with a properly adjusted seating die. No need to waste a round of ammo!!

Current Resident and Bluescot like this.
  14. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

my thoughts too, in fact i would have probably shot it as is, but I see based on the consensus here that wouldn’t have been smart. But I seriously doubt it would have been a problem.

15. V Gehts

V Gehts

After having been “shorted” more than once when buying ammo (box missing rounds),
    I now ask to open each box before purchasing.
    Why I’m against “ammo made available” for the public to fondle.
    Sorry but I feel either it should be behind a glass or counter. Some folks just Suck!

16. CAcop

CAcop

If you aren't a reloader you aren't going to have that kind of gear available.

I do but I reload, when I have time.

17. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Setback is the leading cause of KaBooms. As the case volume goes down, the pressure goes up exponentially. That round came from the factory that way. Resetting a round does not help setback. Crimp does not hold any bullet in place, neck tension (the interference fit between the bullet OD and the case ID) does. In fact, over crimping can start bullet setback. Just toss it. Anyone who says to shoot it, let them try it in their gun first.

CC Glock likes this.
  18. megawatt

megawatt Electron maker

.45acp is a low pressure round. No I would not shoot THAT round. But it’s not the death ray, Ebola version of a cartridge. A chronograph could help you learn how much is too much set back if you wanted to really know your ammo.

If it was 10mm or other hi pressure cartridge or something in +p or +p+ then you definitely need be aware of short cartridges.

19. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

You can't read pressure with a chrono. Velocity is linear, pressure is not. And there have been more .45acp KB's than anything other round. Higher pressure rounds use lower density higher volume powders, almost compressed. The .45acp does not, many loads are high density low volume so any change in case volume is dangerous.

20. Current Resident

Current Resident

I had a similar thing in a box of Remington green and white 115 fmj. In one box of a case, several where short loaded.
    I called them, they actually told me to shoot it but they ended up and replaced the defective ammo.