Glock Talk banner

Too many pistol?

1461 40
Either its my G17L or its me. I typically bring 3-5 out of 12 pistols with me to the range each time I go. In the past i never had a problem adjustin from one to the other. I would consider myself accurate enough with whatever I held.

Two of my more recent aquisitions have been a 1911 and a glock 17L. The 1911 always seems to shoot low. I practiced and became more accurate and believe the low poi to be from a flinch when i shoot the 1911. I still shoot low with this unless i take my time practicing. So, i feel this issue was me.

More recent i aquired the 17L. I was very excited to pick this up yet seem to shoot high. Ugh. I cannot be accurate with this gun. I shoot my g23 after my 17L and am accurate with the g23 then grab the 17L and am shooting high. Its very frustrating. Could this be the gun or am I doing some thing. I could post a picture or a recent target showing groups from each gun and the difference in poi.

Is it me or the gun? Between the 1911 and glock 17L Im becoming frustrated. These are the only 2 guns I ever had problems with accuracy. The 1911 I am on my way to becoming more accurate but this 17L im not making any leeway.

Am I shooting myself in the foot switching too may platforms in each trip. I know there are some guys who shoot variety at the range. What am I doing wrong with this 17L. I was expecting to be the most accurate with this gun. Next glock shoot I want someone to try it out and tell me if itnis me or the gun. Im up for suggestions to figure this out. Thanks for any replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· NRA Life Member
32,719 Posts
Beware the man with only one gun; he may be pretty good with it. :supergrin:

BTW, we shoot the G19 much better than the 34 ot 17L.

wp

Reactions: China boy

· Registered
2,061 Posts
If I shoot the same gun a lot, I can become quite good. Then I switch to something else and suck again. I'll never learn.

Yep, too many pistols!

Reactions: China boy

· Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What peeves me is the fact I can pick up any gun and get accurate except for this 17L. Im grouping well just high. And of course i have days I just suck with everygun too. Im going to try the bench rest and when I have a chance let someone try it out.

· Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
11,993 Posts
Ag
Beware the man with only one gun; he may be pretty good with it. :supergrin:

BTW, we shoot the G19 much better than the 34 ot 17L.

wp
Agreed, too many distractions turn the shooter into a collector and then complacency sets in. I also like the shorter platforms, makes it seem like cake when I go to a longer sight radius.

· Registered
131,354 Posts
Ag

Agreed, too many distractions turn the shooter into a collector and then complacency sets in. I also like the shorter platforms, makes it seem like cake when I go to a longer sight radius.
Interesting. What does collecting have to do with complacency?

I'm a collector through and through. While I'm no super marksman, I know I can hold my own at the range with several dozen platforms.

· Registered
131,354 Posts
What peeves me is the fact I can pick up any gun and get accurate except for this 17L. Im grouping well just high. And of course i have days I just suck with everygun too. Im going to try the bench rest and when I have a chance let someone try it out.
Pete, if you're grouping well, than you're shooting it accurately. Your sights are just off a bit.

11,993 Posts
Interesting. What does collecting have to do with complacency?

I'm a collector through and through. While I'm no super marksman, I know I can hold my own at the range with several dozen platforms.
Complacency towards being a better shooter with fewer platforms. The Goal of acquisition predominates and to become the best we could be,takes a back seat. There is nothing wrong, recognizing your priorities though can be less stressfull in goals met vs goals delayed.

We all want to live a full Life, often people fill it to where it overflows and content is lost. There is only so much time here, decide what is important.

· Señor Member
11,524 Posts
One must become a qualified operator in order to shoot the 17L accurately. The 1911 is just outdated.

· Registered
131,354 Posts
Complacency towards being a better shooter with fewer platforms. The Goal of acquisition predominates and to become the best we could be,takes a back seat. There is nothing wrong, recognizing your priorities though can be less stressfull in goals met vs goals delayed.

We all want to live a full Life, often people fill it to where it overflows and content is lost. There is only so much time here, decide what is important.
Fair enough

Since I'm not a competitive shooter, I'd much rather experience as many platforms as I can and learn about each pistol's traits, design, and history. To me, that's much more rewarding than just focusing on a couple.

I'm not here to win any shooting contests, but I'm confident in my abilities at the same time. However, if someone can outshoot me with the platform of their choice, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

11,993 Posts
Fair enough

Since I'm not a competitive shooter, I'd much rather experience as many platforms as I can and learn about each pistol's traits and design. To me, that's much more rewarding than just focusing on a couple pistols.

I'm not here to win any shooting contests, but I'm confident in my abilities at the same time. However, if someone can outshoot me with the platform of their choice, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.
No problem, and I have actually changed my outlook, my skills have been eroded by a stroke, and realizing I may never capture those skills again. My life predominates in rehab at home as first priority and shooting a distant 4th on my list. Competing actually distracts from my rehab, and if I want to progress, competition takes a back seat. Enjoy your passion.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.