close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Too Many Forums!

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by PlasticGuy, Sep 4, 2004.

1. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

All right, now I'm not exactly a "plank owner" here. I joined a year or two after the original creation of this site. But I have been here a long time. So with that in mind I'll say this: There are too many forums!

This is rediculous. I can't find anything anymore. Everyone wants their own forum for every sub-catagory of every topic imaginable. I've browed a little bit in the last several months, but I get frustrated because I simply can't find any posts on whatever I'm looking for. If I want to see what people are saying about the Springfield Ultra Compact 9mm, do I look in Non-Glock Firearms? Or maybe the 1911 forum? Or maybe the Niner's forum? Or maybe the Concealed Carry forum? Or maybe the Women's secion since it's a pretty good gun for someone with small hands? Or maybe a different site because this one is getting too hard to browse through?

I hate to say it, but the last answer is the one that's been happening for me lately. It's a lot easer to just go to the 1911 forum, the Beretta forum, the Sig forum, or the Smith forum, than to try to find it here, even though the info is usually available here. It's very unfortunate, and it may be an unavoidable symptom of GT's success, but it's a simple fact that this site has become unwieldy and hard to use.

2. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

On the other hand with so much traffic more forums will keep posts, within their categories, on page one longer. If there were only a couple forums, threads would be on page 3 before you could finish a cup of coffee.

For specific information on a particular gun I think the best bet would be to use the search function.

Not trying to argue with you, just looking at the issue from a different perspective.

3. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

PlasticGuy & Short Cut;

I can understand and agree with both your points of view. I have not however figured out what forums on: Books, Writing, Health and Fitness, Food, Flying, Ham Radios, and Motorcycles have to do with a discussion board called "Glock Talk". They at least in their present forum have nothing to do with shooting. They do however take up bandwidth on other resources. They obviously appeal to someone but I ignore them but wounder why Glock Talk resources are used for them.

No Flames needed because I know it's not my web site and I have nothing to say about how its run. I am only expressing my personal feelings and observations since the subject has been brought up. Please treat my comments in the way they were meant and not as flamming.

4. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

This is one complaint I will never understand. If you don't want to go into all of the extra forums, no one is holding a gun to your head. If you are looking for something specific, use the search function. It works quite well. If you want to see only the new posts made since you were last here, regardless of the forum they were posted in, there is a link called 'View New Posts', at the top of the main page.

This site is growing very fast and the addition of these new forums has not impacted the traffic of the core forums one bit. In fact their traffic continues to grow, even with the addition of these new forums. Eric

5. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

I happen to like the idea of all these extra forums. Lets me concentrate on topics I'm interested in rather than having to weed through alot of stuff that doesn't raise my eyebrows. Before, so many of these topics would have been in General Nonglocking. Thanks for the excellent site Eric, I find myself spending more and more time here.

6. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

threads about forums belong in the clubhouse forum.;h

7. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Great come back. I love it.;z ;z ;z ;U ~1 ^c See; I really do have a good sense of humor regardless of what some may think. ;f ;a

8. gudel

gudel

there are still a lot of political threads in GNG in spite of numerous forums that GT has. is the political sandbox closed?

probably a lot easier if these forums are alphabetized. easier to sort through.

9. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

I think we need a seperate forum specifically dedicated to discussions (pro and con) about the number of forums on Glock Talk.

;f ;f ;f Sorry, PlasticGuy, couldn't help myself.

10. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Don't worry, the forum mold was broken after the OAF was instituted.