close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Too fat to fly

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 2bgop, Nov 27, 2012.

1. 2bgop

2bgop

2. arclight610

arclight610

I don't understand how the airlines could be held responsible at all. They all tried to make reasonable accommodation, but it was determined that she could not safely fly.

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

She was too ****ing fat to fly, according to three different airlines. Too damn bad.

I was going to try to sugar coat it, but some fatso would have ate it.

4. SRS

SRS

It's ironic she died in Hungary.

5. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Personal problems and fat issues aside, I hope KLM takes it in the butt They KNEW her situation when they sold her a ticket out, make accommodations and arrangements for the return flight, then denied those accommodations and arrangements.

Suddenly deciding they couldn't make those arrangements? Sorry, I side with the family. Don't say you will do stuff you have no intentions of doing.

6. devildog2067

devildog2067

Really?

I buy a couple of round trip tickets a week, and not once has the airline website or the travel agent asked me for my weight or medical history.

How was KLM supposed to know that this woman was going to fly to Europe and refuse medical treatment such that she gained a bunch of water weight while she was there?

What do you mean "suddenly"?

They tried to get her onboard the airplane, and it was determined that she couldn't fly safely. It's not like they took one look at her and canceled her ticket. They tried to get her on board three different airplanes in three different cities in three different countries. On the last try (in Germany)

Also, the woman refused medical treatment for her diabetes in Hungary

and apparently refused treatment in the Czech Republic and Germany as well.

Sorry, this woman died because she was very ill. The airlines had absolutely nothing to do with it.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's a lot better to blame the "corporation".

8. The Maggy

The Maggy

1)If you manage to find an aircraft that can accommodate all 400+ lbs. of you, do not be shocked when you have trouble on your return trip.*

2) If your health is so bad that you have to see your doctors regularly and boarding an airplane to leave the country or return is questionable at best, do not be surprised when you die in a foreign country.

*Notice that I said aircraft, not airlines. Three different Airlines attempted to accommodate her; none of the aircraft were designed to safely accommodate her.

9. glock_collector

glock_collector

Its sad that the airline did so much to accomidate this orcha and yet idiots still rip on them

10. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

Yet another instance of lack of personal responsibility. Blame someone else.

11. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Should have strapped old lardo to a 463L and put her in a cargo hauler. They're rated for livestock.

12. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

The airline flew her there and then said "sorry" we won't fly you back. That is the airlines problem.

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

No, that's not at all what happened. Her health deteriorated and evidently her weight increased while she was there.

14. acaligunner

acaligunner

Wait a minute>> She flew there with no problem, so how come the Airline that denied her flight didn't make arrangements with the same airline that flew her there?

I am sure something could have been done, but seems like she got the run around- or else her husband didn't want to pay out of his pocket for the extra time/passage that another airline would have to make to get her back to the US.

I don't understand how she flew there and could not get a flight back. :wow:

Couldn't she have just found a US embassy and fell on the floor and ask for US medical attention!

DAMN!

15. acaligunner

acaligunner

The company stated that there was a problem with the seat back. Sounds like it was there fault, because their OM people didn't fix the bad seat (back). So it was the airlines fault for having defective equipment, and not making accommodations for her to get back into the USA.

The couple flew from New York City to Budapest by way of Amsterdam on KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. Soltesz, who had one leg, got on the flight with the help of an airlift, and used a seatbelt extender when seated, Ostrov-Ronai said, adding that the couple had "no issues at all."
    "KLM asked them when they would be flying home so that they could make proper arrangements," Ostrov-Ronai wrote in an email to ABCNews.com.
    When the couple went to the airport on Oct. 15 to board a KLM night flight home to New York, they were able to board. However, Ostrov-Ronai said the captain asked Vilma Soltesz to disembark because she could not be secured in her seat due to an issue with a seat back.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  16. devildog2067

devildog2067

Doesn't anyone bother to read the articles or previous posts anymore?

In other words, before their initial flight home, KLM tried to proactively handle the problem. However, as I mentioned in the post above yours

The woman was in end-stage renal failure. She was bloated and retaining significant water weight. They tried to safely get her aboard three different flights at three different airports in three different cities and failed. A bunch of firemen were unable to get her from her wheelchair to her assigned seats and strap her in.

What else do you expect the airline to do?

17. Andy123

Andy123

What treatment is available in the U.S. that you can't get in Germany? It's not like she was stuck in Haiti.

18. devildog2067

devildog2067

Airplane seats that can't handle 425 pound immobile people are now "defective"?

19. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

It wasn't we won't fly you back. It was we can't safely fit your fat *** on the plane.

Also, she was too damn fat to fit in a wheel chair, and lastly couldn't fit a seat belt around her.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  20. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member