Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Boat Life ©
13,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They say that the best two days of boat ownership...

Do you know how many times I've heard that? Well, it's about to come to fruition.

"Knotty Boys" is supposedly gonna be purchased tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well enough.

Another chapter in life written...

Colt sure is gonna miss her. :crying:

·
Boat Life ©
13,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You getting another boat, or just going straight to the backyard with shovel and moneybag? :)
We have a secondary one. It's a 15.5' center console flats boat.

I think I've had it for a bit over four years and I don't think I've run a tank of gas through it.

I kinda reckon that it'll hopefully get a bit more use now.

If we use it much, then I'll probably sell it and we'll get a "medium-sized" boat the following year (or maybe next year if I fall into a helluva deal). :embarassed:

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I've had good luck with my boat over the years. I bought it new so that I knew I wasn't getting someone else's problems. I've done a lot of fishing in that little Triton. 1-2 days a week 7 months out of the year.

The worst thing for a boat is to not use it often. Run blue Stabil in every tank and try to run it twice a month minimum. Get a battery maintainer and keep it plugged up 24/7. Bad gas and bad batteries are the majority of problems.

The trailer, tires, and bearings are the most neglected. Grease the wheel bearings before each trip and keep the tires inflated properly year round also. Letting it sit on flat tires all winter can deform your tires and reduce their life. If it doesn't have zirc grease fitting on the wheels get them installed. It makes greasing the bearings a snap, plug up your grease gun and give it two squirts and walla, you're done.

A little maintenance will prevent most problems. Getting it in the water often will help you keep vigilant on maintenance. I love taking a boat boat ride on a mild winter day. You will have the lake to yourself. If you notice a trend of warm days in the winter plan on putting it in the water that weekend. Its good for it to get warmed up and get some fresh gas run through it at least once in the winter while its been sitting up.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I've had good luck with my boat over the years. I bought it new so that I knew I wasn't getting someone else's problems. I've done a lot of fishing in that little Triton. 1-2 days a week 7 months out of the year.

The worst thing for a boat is to not use it often. Run blue Stabil in every tank and try to run it twice a month minimum. Get a battery maintainer and keep it plugged up 24/7. Bad gas and bad batteries are the majority of problems.

The trailer, tires, and bearings are the most neglected. Grease the wheel bearings before each trip and keep the tires inflated properly year round also. Letting it sit on flat tires all winter can deform your tires and reduce their life. If it doesn't have zirc grease fitting on the wheels get them installed. It makes greasing the bearings a snap, plug up your grease gun and give it two squirts and walla, you're done.

A little maintenance will prevent most problems. Getting it in the water often will help you keep vigilant on maintenance. I love taking a boat boat ride on a mild winter day. You will have the lake to yourself. If you notice a trend of warm days in the winter plan on putting it in the water that weekend. Its good for it to get warmed up and get some fresh gas run through it at least once in the winter while its been sitting up.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it.

Oops, when I first read it I thought you were buying a boat.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
11,769 Posts
I have always heard boats were a hole in the water that you threw money into! :rofl:

Good luck on the deal and may the water always be calm. :supergrin:

·
Boat Life ©
13,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So why ya selling?
Change of pace in life, I guess.

About 3 months ago, I unloaded a "few" firearms and got about $12k. They just sat there. I don't shoot like I used to and with ammo prices, I don't see myself shooting much more in the immediate future. Having said that, I have plenty more to play with. :)

It tore me up when I started listing them, but as the cash came, I felt better.

I looked at my boat, and realized (especially since I have another that's paid for) that I don't "need" that money pit. Granted, she's been good to us with NO problems, but I was always throwing money at it:
  • $300/mo. payment
  • $100/mo. slip (during APR-OCT)
  • ~$600/yr. property taxes
  • $34/mo. insurance
That doesn't even get close to the fuel and maintence costs.

So, long story short -- I'm done with the boating thing for a while. When I had free time, I felt like I HAD to use it because I was paying ~$500/mo. Now, when I have free time, I don't want a dollar amount to dictate how I spend my time.

My kid has a little Yamaha motorcycle and last month I bought two Honda 4-wheelers. I think we'll spend more time on other (paid for) machines, instead of boats...

·
Boat Life ©
13,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And so...the sun sets on another chaper of our lives...

·
Banned
16,152 Posts
Change of pace in life, I guess.

About 3 months ago, I unloaded a "few" firearms and got about $12k. They just sat there. I don't shoot like I used to and with ammo prices, I don't see myself shooting much more in the immediate future. Having said that, I have plenty more to play with. :)

It tore me up when I started listing them, but as the cash came, I felt better.

I looked at my boat, and realized (especially since I have another that's paid for) that I don't "need" that money pit. Granted, she's been good to us with NO problems, but I was always throwing money at it:
  • $300/mo. payment
  • $100/mo. slip (during APR-OCT)
  • ~$600/yr. property taxes
  • $34/mo. insurance
That doesn't even get close to the fuel and maintence costs.

So, long story short -- I'm done with the boating thing for a while. When I had free time, I felt like I HAD to use it because I was paying ~$500/mo. Now, when I have free time, I don't want a dollar amount to dictate how I spend my time.

My kid has a little Yamaha motorcycle and last month I bought two Honda 4-wheelers. I think we'll spend more time on other (paid for) machines, instead of boats...
Smart man.

·
NRA-Endow. Life
1,565 Posts
Just when I was hoping to get a free ride and drink all your beer, you go and sell the thing.

Haaarrrruuummpph, some friend you are!!!:rofl:

I bet you will be raising some suspicion walking into the bank with that check. You know, with you skipping and hopping like a giddy little girl!!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Do you ever have a nice wine, cheese and fresh flowers on that little table in the cabin?

How many nights did you stay on it?

Just some jokes from a center console owner. Fishing, hangout in sun space is better most of the time. Although getting caught in a thunderstorm out with kids isn't

·
Boat Life ©
13,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL, we did our booze out on the deck. I've slept on it about 4 times (in 4 years).

We got it when our kid was sub-1. The cabin came in handy, know dat! :)

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

:supergrin:

·
Boat Life ©
13,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just when I was hoping to get a free ride and drink all your beer, you go and sell the thing.

Haaarrrruuummpph, some friend you are!!!:rofl:

I bet you will be raising some suspicion walking into the bank with that check. You know, with you skipping and hopping like a giddy little girl!!
I'm very sorry, and somewhat embarrassed that we never had y'all out on it.

As far as giddy skpping goes -- it was two checks. One to my bank, and another (smaller one) to me. :crying:

·
Happy Smiley
17,229 Posts
Like they say, never buy a boat, just hang out with friends who have them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts