close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tomcat in the spring, how long do they wander off for?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Ffolkes, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Ffolkes

Ffolkes

I'm staying with friends who, I don't know why, have a cat with no ID, hasn't been neutered, and wanders off when he feels like it. All the cats I have experience with were fixed indoor cats so his behaviour is odd to me. Anyway last spring he vanished for about a week and came back, this year he is on day 11 since I have seen him.

I have asked with the neighbours and am checking the local animal shelter websites, nobody has seen him. I notice also that other cats in the neighbourhood that would never walk on the lawn when he was here are now coming and going as they please so I imagine he has not even been coming by in the night and re-marking his territory.

How long, on average, do male sexually active cats go missing for? Should I assume I won't see him again after 2 weeks? A month? He kind of adopted me as his friend in the house, his food dish on my floor is becoming an uncomfortable reminder that my friend isn't here anymore but I don't want to give up hope too soon.

2. HarlDane

HarlDane

Unfortunately unaltered males who wander to find females in season often don’t come back. If he does, have your friends neuter him. Most places do males for under 50 bucks, usually $35 or so.

3. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

Unfortunately, it really depends on how hungry the coyotes are.

4. ramster_man

ramster_man

Around a month ago 2 of my un-neutered cats ran off... One is still missing as of now.. The second cat came back after 23 days.....

5. trakker45

trakker45

We had tomcats that disappeared for a few weeks, a few months, and some never returned. One moved approximately three hundred yards away to a neighbor's house, where he stayed for years.

6. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I am not sure why people do not fix their animals.........unfixed male cats just roam, fight and get lost, often getting hit by cars. My 2 boys have been fixed since I got them, in fact my older male, purebred seal point siamese ended up in the shelter because he was NOT fixed. He was then sent to a no-kill shelter where he was neutered and now I have him. He is totally indoor now, and is really happy to be an indoor kitty. The younger one was cut when he was 7 weeks old, yes, 7 weeks. I adopted him then.

[​IMG]